• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33 or 35s

Thanks for the replies, answers are much better here than jeepforum

I Plan on regearing in july to 4.56 with a powertrax no slip in the rear. This is still my DD and i do drive around town sometimes. My lift arrived today its the 4.5 LA, i was going to raise it to 5.5 so i could have a tad bit more room to deal with. although im sure it will sit over 5.5 before it settles down.

I sort of figured run 33's with locked rear and that should do 95% of the trails around here.

swaping axles at this time is out of the picture

You can run Rubicon on 33s, one locker, and bypasses around just a couple obstacles. Fordyce Creek would be a little tough but I believe possible. Many other trails less difficult than those two will be possible on 33s. No need to go 35s.

Edit: I have run 35s on a locked D30 front, D44 rear in the Sierras, 4.88s, alloy shafts, no trusses, with no problems at all. They're fine.

4beba615.jpg

hijack/

what front bumper is that?

/hijack

I have 35's with a D44/D30 combo. Was just out wheeling it today, and was very mindful of the axles when gassing it to negotiate rocks, climbs etc. It survived.

Now, if I had a chance to trade for a set of 33's. I would. Mine is the withe one.
DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

I think the 35's are a bit overkill for the trails around here. Lift is pretty tall, and still need to trim more. 33s would fit much better for my use right now.

whys that?

i run 35"s with stock axles 4.56 gears and two lockers i think it is great i get show up a lot of guys with there bigggg $$ rigs with a beat up xj long arm 6" and 35"mtr kevlars and is some what of a dd i do how ever carry spare shafts and tools to change them never needed too though just be smart with the skinny pedal

I have 33s

detroit in the rear, 4.88s and an ARB up front

I like this size...seem to go where i want and have
no problem on the street.

BOB

i know i could make it with 35s, but it is a nice car.. right now its flawless cosmetically, looks very nice, I in no way want to make this my dedicated offroad rig, i would like to be somewhat pavement princess but with the ability to do work on the trails..

i picked up the lift today and i am by far surprised for beefy parts are. a lot bigger than i expected. A buddy showed me a RE upper short arm and it was half the size of the long arms i have.

Would you guys recommended getting stiffeners? would this be a good thing to do right off the bat before i install this lift? front mid and rear, and then sliders and front bumper later on.

heres what i got today.

hijack/

what front bumper is that?

/hijack
I built it, never used tube bender or welder before so I think it came out well. I can pm ya more pics if ya want.

Kentuckytwostep.
You don't seem any wider than me :dunno: on the rear your tire is tucked into 1/4 just the same spot as mine. So why are 'stock width axles' so bad?
I've run 35's multiple times on stock axles no prob, maybe lighten up on the skinny pedal??

But what i'm going to do is go 33's start with those and then maybe.... Just MAybe go to 35's but i don't know i think 33's are plenty big.

I haven't gotten 33's for mine but this is my rig...... it's a 6.5" longarm that redrider2911 (Kris Froehilich) made. I like the set up. you guys should look into it.....http://froehlichsuspension.com/index.html
GetAttachment.aspx

The gray one is my DD
GetAttachment.aspx

Last edited:
I built it, never used tube bender or welder before so I think it came out well. I can pm ya more pics if ya want.

Kentuckytwostep.
You don't seem any wider than me :dunno: on the rear your tire is tucked into 1/4 just the same spot as mine. So why are 'stock width axles' so bad?
I've run 35's multiple times on stock axles no prob, maybe lighten up on the skinny pedal??

You should P.M. me some to.....:laugh: if you want to

Yes frame stiffners are a fantastic idea!!!! The lift looks good bro! Now get it on damnit!!!! :D

maybe I should make some of these umpers to sell? (inteded to be winch bumper that winch mounts where grill is)

Also just noticed in the pic....

Get a better trac bar. Yikes that thing is skinny. Def looks like the weakpoint in the lift

I've got the same lift and running 33x12.5s. I trimmed front and rear fenders. If your front spring bumps stops are shot, Nows the time for those to. Frame stiffener are really nice but if it's gonna be a pavement princess/ weekend wheeler. Save the coin for other goodies. One thing you will notice with the full leaf packs is your shackle angles. (there gonna be horrible) Rear is gonna ride really stiff! Solution= boomarang shackles, which will add 1" + to the rear. Meaning you'll need to add to the front. Or get 3.5 rear leafs with 1" shackles. But back on topic.... 33's will look huge under that and be more than enough to get you where you need to go. Good luck on your lift! Took me and two others about 10 hrs to complete.

What are those donut looking things just above the track bar? Didn't get anything like that in my kit.. Hmmmmmmm......

Last edited:
Back