• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2017 AWD vehicle recommendation?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
(Not for me)
Anyone have a good recommendation for a new 2017(only lookong for new) small/mid size SUV (cross over or whatever they are being called now and no trucks). It will be an on road vehicle and used for longer mountain(read:steep) roads and be confident in bad wheather conditions(AWD or capable onroad 4x4) but no real offroading at all. Doesn't need to be big or full size and the cargo space needs only to be big enough for a medium size dog. Right now top runners seems to be a CrV and toyota Rav4 but both have small engines it looks like which worries me for mountain roads. Any thoughts on the current Jeep lineups? Something smaller than the cherokees? Any input would be appreciated.

My friend has a newer cherokee and loves it. I'm not a fan of the styling but they drive pretty good and have loads of power if you get the V6 option. I wouldn't recommend a compass/patriot since they have no power and garbage CVT trans. Haven't driven the new Jeep Renegade yet.

Look at the Mazda CX5. It's got great reviews. Available in FWD or AWD. Do an online search.

I have a 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek(I know not 2017 but they haven't changed much).

It is a great car for exactly what you are describing. It's like a car on the road (I've even auto-x'd) it but its got great clearance and does decent in mild offroad trails if you get into a mountain road that gets technical.

I have a 2" reciever hitch that i tow a small pop-up camper with and it handles it well... not going to win any races but it does well.

Last edited:
Subaru, Mazda, CR-V

My friend has a newer cherokee and loves it. I'm not a fan of the styling but they drive pretty good and have loads of power if you get the V6 option. I wouldn't recommend a compass/patriot since they have no power and garbage CVT trans. Haven't driven the new Jeep Renegade yet.

I rented a Renegade while on a trip back east for a few days. It is gutless and not a good pick IMO. It is basically the Fiat 500 with a different body style. :puke:

Another Vote for Subaru... we just got a 2017 3.6R Outback and love it!! Of course the Forester and Crosstrek are nice vehicles and would fit your criteria as well. Go test drive them and it'll help you decide more yeah or neah...

Subaru. If you want amazing AWD and value safety, there aren't many cars out there safer then Subarus. A good friend of mine was forced into a semi while driving a newer legacy, head on at 55 mph, then thrown off the road, and into a tree. Walked away with a sprained wrist and a bad headache!!! Additionally, I'm a firefighter, and have responded to many wrecks that required extrication, and can tell you Subarus are stoutly built and the injuries always seem to be less severe. Good luck with your purchase.

Yea it's not mine but I hope to enjoy the passenger seat often as I am fond of the nice young lady who does own it ;) .

Back