• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door vs 4 door

I own both of them, a 96 2dr and a 95 4dr.
I prefer the two door because the rear visibility is much better and is more confortable for the driver if ou are tall and like to drive with your left arm resting on the door. Anyway the access to the rear seat is very hard... even more if your XJ is lifted.

I the other hand..I prefer it because for me is more beautiful.

URL]

Regards

Last edited:
Two doors have two problems: larger doors have a tendency to sag due to increase weight and the repair is problematic; second, since they lack one pillar compared to the four door, the body has a tendency to twist more so they need more body stiffening than the four door. The rest is pretty much about preference.

I love being one of the lucky few with a 2 Door that's heavily optioned. It might not have them all. but it does have power windows, power locks, keyless entry, full guages. Oh and it's an 4.0 AX-15.

I think the later 2-doors might be better, but the earlier ones have a bad habit of shedding door hinges owing not so much to the weight of the doors pulling down as the weight swinging out, which pulls the hinges out of the frame when they hit the stops. But even if you fix the hinges, the door itself is so heavy that its own structure can fail. My daughter's 93 has a sagging door. Not sagging hinges - the door skin itself has come loose at the seams. Not all do this, but old 2-doors should always be looked over carefully.

Tall people like them for the improved side vision. Two-doors have a split personality, I think, Base models look much more drab than a base 4 door, but the higher the trim level, the better they look compared to the corresponding 4 door.

We have two 2 door Cherokees; '89 4wd, AW4, 242 with plenty of options including factory skids. '96 SE 2wd, 5 speed, factory 4.11's in 27 spline 8.25 with added locker and lots of swapped in "factory" options (skids, hitch, OH console, full gauges, +, +). We've never owned a 4 door.

In my opinion and for our use (grown kids, so no one in back, travel, camping, hauling bulky stuff) I prefer the 2 door. Usually the back seat base is removed and the back is folded flat with cargo/storage net attached between the shoulder belt slots and front of the folded seat back. There's room to keep maps, cameras, shoes, coats with easy access behind the front seats. The rest of our stuff slides in from the rear and can be accessed from the front while on the road (cooler, etc.). I have the factory mirrored rear quarter and hatch windows installed in both on them so what is in the back is mostly hidden from prying eyes . . .

Besides 2 doors look much cooler.
Mike

Everyone forgot to mention: 2dr = fold down seats.

Doesn't seem like a big deal until you try to put in after market seats.

my 2000 4 dr has fold down rear seats too... bottom folds forward and the back folds down where the bottom giving it tons of room right?... so ya 4 doors fold down too :anon:

Two doors hands down.... The only thing better is a doorless two door.

Nick

my 2000 4 dr has fold down rear seats too... bottom folds forward and the back folds down where the bottom giving it tons of room right?... so ya 4 doors fold down too :anon:

But the two door front seats flip forward, too...

Robert

IMHO 4 doors are way better than 2 doors. Its much more versatile, the rear seats still fold flat but you can easily carry around 4 friends and your cargo. An extra vertical pillar makes it more structurally sound, and they look much better to me. 2 doors look almost like bronco 2s to me. I'm 6'4" and I don't have a problem at all with the smaller front doors. But as has been said, its all about personal preference.

Is ... or is it just a matter of personal preference?
PP. But the 2 door rear passenger is harder to access than the 4 door.

Back