• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto locks issue

Anothername

NAXJA Forum User
So I can’t figure this out for the life of me. I have a 01 xj, with auto locks. Problem is they don’t work. I’ve replaced both of the switches in the doors, both driver and passenger. I’ve checked the continuity in the lines and they don’t have any brakes. I’ve looked at the fuses and they are fine. I can’t figure it out. What am I missing? Anyone have any ideas?

Do the locks make any sound at all when you try to lock/unlock them? Do you have the keyless entry?

I'm assuming to can lock/unlock them with the key and then use the buttons inside. Are the hard to flip?

Circuit Breaker 28 (25a, fused Ignition Switch Output) and Fuse 15 (25a, fused B+) in the junction block provide power to the locks.

Do the locks make any sound at all when you try to lock/unlock them? Do you have the keyless entry?

I'm assuming to can lock/unlock them with the key and then use the buttons inside. Are the hard to flip?

Circuit Breaker 28 (25a, fused Ignition Switch Output) and Fuse 15 (25a, fused B+) in the junction block provide power to the locks.

So they don’t make a sound when I try and lock or unlock. But they will cycle when I pull the power and reapply power. Everything will unlock

I do have keyless entry

Yes, the locks aren’t binding or anything. I can manually lock all the doors from the inside no problem. And I can unlock the car with the key from the outside.

I’ll try the fuses again. I tried disconnecting the panel in the overhead and then tried using the normal door locks without luck

Do you have a factory service manual with wiring schematics? The power locks circuit is not nearly as simple as it could be.

Did you know the locks will not function if the driver's door is open and the key is in the ignition in the off position? Prevents locking the keys in the car.

With wiring diagrams, you should be able to pinpoint the problem. You can bypass the door switches by jumping the pins on the connector to rule-out the replacement switches being faulty. Typically the passenger side is the issue because it is the "brain" of the system. All input from the driver's side goes to the passenger side switch to decide what to do with that signal.

I spend days chasing the wiring on my 99 a few years back. Found some corroded connectors and intermittent connections that helped get the locks working for a bit, but didn't resolve my issue completely. The step I took which fixed my locks for good was reflowing the solder on the circuit boards in the door switches. Apparently over time the solder gets brittle and cracks. Couldn't see anything wrong, but it worked.

So they don’t make a sound when I try and lock or unlock. But they will cycle when I pull the power and reapply power. Everything will unlock
<snip>

I don't understand. What do you mean by "pull the power". Do you disconnect the battery? Do you disconnect the door lock module?

Back