• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 jeep cherokee lowered on 22"

highrollerzaudio

NAXJA Forum User
i know its different to lower a jeep but i'm doin something different on this project a kind of urban concept jeep . i was wonderin if u could lower a 1994 jeep cherokee country 2wd on 22" rims and tire 265/35/22 my stock tire r 225/75/15 the stock tire have a height of 28.29 inches and r 8.86 in wide the other one is 29.30 height and 10.43 an wide... if u think i can lower it how much to still have full turn??? some rims stores say yes u can others say no u can't anybody know? does anybody no who makes a lowerin kit 4 this jeep as weel?

I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all anti-lowering of XJs. Sorry but we're all offroaders and aren't too into the urban thing. But the front would be easy, just chop the coils. But the rear, since it's spring over is goin to be tricky to lower. My advice is buy an escalade

Beware, you may get some bashing here about lowering your Jeep since we all seem to want to lift it and lowering defeats the purpose of the Cherokee anyways.

With that said, search the Street and Performance forum and you may have more luck. I have no clue what the turn radius would be and I doubt many would. I would say it would be more trial and error than anything else.

Also, I am not aware of anybody who makes any sort of lowering items for the Jeep other than blocks or cutting the springs, both of which I do not reccomend.

Good Luck!!

highrollerzaudio said:
i know its different to lower a jeep but i'm doin something different on this project a kind of urban concept jeep . i was wonderin if u could lower a 1994 jeep cherokee country 2wd on 22" rims and tire 265/35/22 my stock tire r 225/75/15 the stock tire have a height of 28.29 inches and r 8.86 in wide the other one is 29.30 height and 10.43 an wide... if u think i can lower it how much to still have full turn??? some rims stores say yes u can others say no u can't anybody know? does anybody no who makes a lowerin kit 4 this jeep as weel?

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: lastara lastara lastara :looser: Just my .02 cents. Whatever works for you though. Good Luck.

XJdePlato said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all anti-lowering of XJs. Sorry but we're all offroaders and aren't too into the urban thing. But the front would be easy, just chop the coils. But the rear, since it's spring over is goin to be tricky to lower. My advice is buy an escalade

Beezil said:

I think there would be nothing sweeter than a stroked and blown I6 or a v8 XJ properly lowered for perferomance handeling with some 16's or 17's. But I also don't see the point of putting ANYTHING over an 18" rim on ANY vehicle. It just looks plain gawdy.

Fitting the wheel tire combo on a stock XJ shouldnt be a probblem. Finding a lowering kit will be though. I would get in touch with a compney called Deaver springs> They make some of the best springs out there, and while most of there Jeep apps are going to be dealing with a lift I don't see why they couldn't work with you on a set of lowering springs. There will be other issues in the front you need to address, a good fabb shop should be able to help with that. A word to the wise though you'll need to pay attention the your rear wheels as the rear wheel well on the XJ is a bit on the shallow side for stuffing a tire. You can't just cut out the well eather it is structural in the design of the unibody. If you want to stuff the rear tires good you're going to need to have the rear wells tubbed, but you'll lose some rear interor space doing it.

Let the flaming begin!

XJdePlato said:

A non-member with 34 posts and you are speaking for all of us now? :viking: Sir, be very glad I am in a decent mood today...

Now then, to the topic at hand.

The front presents a couple options. I have heard that oem Jeep Wrangler TJ coils will drop an XJ a small amount. Or you could experiment with trimming a set of oem XJ coils. The more you trim, the stiffer they will get. You could even trim down the factory coil isolators a few mm?

Out back, one could do a spring-under axle... I'd have to look a bit tomorrow and see if a factory XJ axle could be set up as spring-under, and not have to move the shock mounts and/or remove the leaf perches from the top of the axle tube. Those perches could be a good basis for the bumpstop contact points. You would get a bunch of drop this way, but you can adjust the ride height back up with shackles, an AAL or junkyard leaf, etc. Again, extra leaves will increase the spring rate...

At the time you get it at the ride height & quality you are after, measure for good quality shock absorbers. I'd do shock BPEs just to tighten it up.

As for the tires? My XJ is pretty low. (as is the front is aprx 3/4" over stock, and the back is aprx 1" under) I use 30" x 9.50" on 7" wide, 3.75" backspaced wheels... and they fit inside my flares/wells nicely. All I have done is add somewhat lower (MJ) bumpstops and a few washers to each side of the steering stops. Your proposed wheel/tire combo will be a tad wider and probably about the same height as mine... if you kept to a similar width & backspacing.

Many of the mods (and objectives of) the off-road scene does, applies in opposite for the street scene... Instead of loosening the rig up, you will benefit from tightening it. (slightly stiffer springs, poly bushings etc... Parts that share duty include a beefier track bar/mount, tube steel control arms, steering box brace, good shocks/BPEs, 28mm swaybar etc...)

Just do it first class... and have fun with it.

first off def not my idea of what to do with a jeep.

However ive been reading alot about easy ways to get some lift for my brothers XJ. So maybe you can just work opposite a lift?

If ZJ coils lift a XJ does that mean coils from a 4cyl TJ lower it?

and for the rear maybe you can take a leaf out rather then adding a leaf?

or better yet you can take the leafs out of the rear of my brothers XJ i bet his rear is lowered 1 1/2 inches.

But hey where im not a big fan of the bling aspect of the street performance rides, but the performance parts can be cool.

I hate the idea of a lowered jeep, but well, here's my .02 cents.

lowering shouldn't be so much different than lifting. Just do the opposite of what we all do. Find a 2wd cherokee, find smaller front springs, or have them custom made, get custom made rear leafs or just find a MJ rear axle and throw it in using the cherokee stock leafs. You'll need an adjustable track bar that'll probably have to be custom because it will be shorter instead of longer, you'll need a shorter drive shaft, bump stops, shorter shocks, probably need to pull the front axle and re weld the inner C's to set the pinion/caster angle. Thats just to start with though. I don't really follow lowered vehicle forums, so I don't know what else you'd need. hope that helps.

woody said:
A non-member with 34 posts and you are speaking for all of us now? :

Not me....but then again I'm just another one of the surly(sp), opinionated, obnoxious, unruly, smartass bastards that frequent this place.

:edit: This post has been edited and sanitized by the NAXJA posting authority.

I've seen some decent looking lowered XJs in the past. Many lowered vehicles are done kinda poopily, but as long as it keeps the owner happy...Definitely search, if you are indeed a real person...there's been a ton of threads on this. One of the more common ideas for the rear that I've seen is to convert to spring under. Don't know how easy or good that is but yeah..

Up front I'd guess some airbags with a little spring perch work would make a real sweet setup without too much drama. Might need to adjust the track-bar a touch to recenter the axle depending on how low you go (or can go without hitting things)

Spring over for the rear sounds reasonable for sure. Might need a little notching on the framerail though.

And for what its worth I appreciate the XJ both lifted and dropped. Just that in my neck of the woods lifted makes more sense. If I lived in an urban jungle instead of a northwoods jungle I'd likely think differently.

for the person that mentioned the Mj axle. Mj perches are apced differently, it's not a bolt in affair.
If you want to go spring under axle then you're welding perches.

Back