• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12 Gauge Garage

Very nice. I still drool over Porsche's, even though having had German co-workers led me to hate Germany and to vow never to buy a German product again.
I have Ikea bookshelves from when we lived in an apt in Philly. :)

Hey, guys. I just saw this. Thanks for the nice words about the garage. I'll admit, it isn't the perfect solution for everybody. I built it just for what I do in it, which is work on the track car, do some metal fabrication and some basic carpentry. I built all nine benches in the place. And the place does get messy.

messygarage.jpg

But it cleans up easy, since I took the time to come up with a place to put all of my tools and other stuff that would normally be all over the place.

As it happens, I've owned an XJ7 for 18 years now. I don't know if it will prove that I'm not gay, but it's never been parked in a garage or even washed.

TheJeep.jpg

Here it is with a rack I made that lets me take home small loads of 20' steel stock.

therack.jpg

bunksteel.jpg

(I also welded that wrought iron fence you see on top of the retaining wall and around the front yard of my house. There are about 2000 individual welds in the fence, which might answer the question of whether I actually do any welding in the garage.)

The garage saw both an engine swap and also a complete rebuild this year. The lift is perfect for the car that I work on. It works under my low ceiling, and gets me access to all four wheels for suspension/brake/wheel work, and also gives me the ability to get to all of a Porsche 911's engine, drivetrain and exhaust. There is nothing but a belly pan where the car contacts the lift. And when I'm not using it, it's just more tiled floor.

humpty.jpg

I do have blocks so that I can lift other cars. But I put it there for the track car.

Jack Olsen

Looks like somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley. Alhambra?

Thanks for sharing! Nice car and CJ......garage ain't shabby either.

Ignore xcm, his personality is neutron-based.

Yeah, that would be plenty of space for me to work on my S2000 autocross car.

For the Jeeps, not so much. I have a 24x36 shop now and it is no where near big enough to have a project Jeep on the go, my S2000 parked in the corner over the winter and my daily driver XJ parked in there at the same time.

Jeep projects take up lots of space. The scale of the modifications we do is different I guess. My Comanche is in there now and I've got it stripped to the bare unibody. Lots of drivetrain and crap lying around the fringes. I don't dare start building the axles until the rest of the Jeep is back together again.

The biggest change I've made to the S was to modify/replace the rear suspension subframe for a later year version. I could do that in the garage above no problem. My buddy has a garage roughly the size of the one above and we've taken the engine out of his S three times without much difficulty.

Funny that.

My wife always says that she wishes that I was into cars exclusively as they don't seem to be as much work or take as much time. Except for a little bit of welding for stuff like engine swap brackets or suspension/mount beef up there is a lot less custom fabrication involved.

If I had to make a choice between cars and Jeeps I'd pick the Jeeps though. :)

Back