• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autolite Plug destroyed engine

Txakura

NAXJA Forum User
Pontiac

Last summer I saw an Autolite plug that failed in a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am, 3.3L I saved the pieces when I replaced it for a conversation piece. I had considered this a one in a million failure, I do not know the age or mileage of the plug. The engine did not show any loss of compression, it was simply a spectacular failure of a plug.

Photo links also contain additional information in the photo captions.

Ford

However, this completely changed my mind. The Autolite in this case had 2,000 miles on it and had been installed after this engine was completely overhauled. The vehicle was a 1986 Ford F250, 300 cid 6 cylinder. During the overhaul the head was professionally re-done, the pistons, rings, wrist pins, cam and main bearings were replaced, as well as the block honed, and the usual journals polished to ensure a complete and thorough professional overhaul.

In the pictures you can see that the electrode tip of the #3 cylinder came off and destroyed the piston. Debris sent into the intake traveled to the adjacent cylinders and ruined two other pistons as well. The cylinder walls are scored out of limits, the engine hit zero oil pressure prior to shut down. The engine, with 2,000 miles since overhaul is a total loss.

I do not own either vehicle, I repaired the Pontiac as a favor, and am currently replacing the destroyed 6 cylinder with a V-8 for my employer. I do not use Autolite plugs in my personal vehicles and do not feel anyone else should either. To save a few dollars on plugs, this entire engine was destroyed.

The pictures are shit. You don't need glasses to see that.

And if the electrode shot out of the head, why is it shown in the head in the first pic in your second post?
And how do we know one of you two didn't break the plug? I've done that myself, although I didn't try to drive the car anywhere. These "Brand X is crap and must be destroyed" threads typically don't contain much info- I think people get a bit jaded after 20 or 30 of them. How do we know Autolite screwed up, and not you?

Dang, I clicked on the pix of the "bad" plug, and some malware loaded.

Lets count it up.

Less than 100 posts

Is already trash talking a nationally recognised product on a public Forum.

Questionable links.

Yes, that fat makes you look fat :dunno:

Ron

these are two different cases, the top three pics are a Pontiac Grand Am, the bottom 7 are a Ford

the pics are clickable thumbs that should go to photo bucket for a larger view with some additional text for each picture

I have no idea why any "malware" would be related to that

Yes, I am new to the XJ board, but not new to other boards, I came here recently to find some help working on my 90 XJ - which I found and appreciated

NUMBER 3 CYLINDER LOOK AT PLUG

P1030737o.jpg

SAME ENGINE< NUMBER 1 CYLINDER, SAME PLUG TYPE - Compare the two cylinders to see what broke

P1030738o.jpg

Ah, so the exploded plug pics are from the Pontiac, and the second post is of the Ford, where only the electrode's tip is missing, and not the entire electrode/ceramic insulation?

Ah, so the exploded plug pics are from the Pontiac, and the second post is of the Ford, where only the electrode's tip is missing, and not the entire electrode/ceramic insulation?

Yes, I apologize for the confusion. My point was just that I have seen two really wild failures in the same brand. The first one wasn't really any big deal (top three thumbs), the second was catastrophic. I had only heard of that happening one other time, and that was in 1986.

Were any of the plugs loose? Did you install them? I have seen spark plugs that were loose cause a catastrophic failure of the plug itself similar to your pics of the ford. I have also seen plugs break easily if not properly installed. I must admit that I don't prefer autolites, but I don't believe in a coincidence of this nature.

Back