• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

How difficult is it manually bending? I've only ever used air over hydro

Its okay just doing a few bends but I know when it comes time to bend tube for a cage I am going to hate my life. That is only .188 wall tubing too. Depends how much money you want to spend. For me, I am on a tight budget.

Its okay just doing a few bends but I know when it comes time to bend tube for a cage I am going to hate my life. That is only .188 wall tubing too. Depends how much money you want to spend. For me, I am on a tight budget.

.188 can be considered overkill. My whole cage so far is .120 wall

Mine is all .120 wall. Manual is not that hard IF you have a nice long lever handle. I think mine was about 6' or so.

.188 can be considered overkill. My whole cage so far is .120 wall

Now that I think of it I was bending .120". I still think it was no cake walk. It takes me a minute or two to do a 180* bend. That is all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the jeep to the shop Tuesday after work to start the axle swap. Used the winch on the jeep to load the axle on the trailer as it's one heavy SOB. I'll be at the shop tonight after work getting the rear axle removed and ready for its new owner to pick up on Sunday.

Untitled
Untitled

How big is it?

This past weekend was fairly productive. Saturday I worked the 36 Hours of Uwharrie event. Sunday I worked in the shop. Sold the old 60 from under my rig, pulled the TC out of a TJ for a rebuild, got the new 60 mocked under my rig and tacked the perches in place. Sunday was busy but it was a good time. Both pups love hanging out in the shop.

If was a very busy weekend in the shop. The new 60 has the perches welded on and painted. We installed it so we could roll it out for other more time sensitive items. We rebuilt a t-case for one TJ and reinstalled it. We then lowered my dad's TJ. He's got a bad hip and the 4" lift was making it very difficult for him to get in and out. He wanted it taken all the way back to stock so we knocked that out. The XJ was then rolled back in and the front 4.5" coils were then swapped out for 3" coils. It looks much better now that it's dropped back down some. There is still a long list of items to complete but I'm slowly getting there. I also scored a Superlift TruSpeed for free. Now I can finally get my speedometer accurately reading.

Soeedo calibrator? Can't you just get a new speedo tooth gear for the tcase?

Soeedo calibrator? Can't you just get a new speedo tooth gear for the tcase?

Yes but if I ever regear/change tires in the future, I'd need to get a new gear every time. This allows me to calibrate for just about any tire size and gear ratio. It also has 2 settings so if I swap between two sets of tires I can just flip a switch.

No progression pics. I've been busy wrenching and not taking pictures. With the front dropped down 1.5", I've had to move some of the steering around to clear the hydro assist ram. Long term will be a new track bar and mounts both axle and frame side. Then the cylinder will get relocated to a better place. I've started tearing the rear apart and have a local guy bending me up some shock hoops. The welder in the shop has died so now I'm shopping for a new welder. The goal is to have the rig done before the last weekend in September for a shakedown run prior to Jeep Jamborre as I'm a trail guide for it.

I was able to snag one photo though. Chris, my coworker/good friend/club member, has an awesome son that absolutely loves Jeeps. He turns 1 in a week or so and by the grin on his face, you can tell he's gonna wanna drive as soon as he feet can reach the pedals.

Pretty sure he's done since he's guiding a ride Saturday.

Pretty sure he's done since he's guiding a ride Saturday.

I'm actually in a borrowed TJ this weekend(completely stock so it should be fun). With paying jobs, setting up the shop with new tools, build setbacks, planning a wedding and then flying to Houston to help my future father-in-law rehab his house after Harvey, it's still not finished. Long story short, I had to buy a whole new axle just to get new hubs for the rear. The wheel bearing races had spun in the hubs and I didn't catch it during the initial build. I just rebuilt it again and its back on all 4. I've driven it here and there just to start breaking in the gears. I just finished building a cross member for the anti-wrap bar at lunch today. I'm hoping to pick up the needed DOM for that bar tomorrow at lunch. Below is a list of all items to complete. It seems like this list is just growing as I find better ways to do things haha.

Anti-wrap bar build
-purchase DOM
-weld in cross member
-build anti-wrap bar (lower will be adj on one end and upper will be adj. on both)

Ebrake Cables
-extend ebrake threaded rod
-tie up extra length in cable to keep out of spinning objects

Exhaust
-Everything from the head back is being replaced
-Purchase down tube
-Purchase muffler
-Install all new stuff

Rear shocks
-Cut holes in floor for shock hoops
-weld on frame stiffeners
-mount hoops
-weld in shop tabs
-mount shocks
-tie shocks into cage

Steering
-Not 100% sure what I want to do here right now. Been playing with ideas. I've got new track bar brackets for frame and axle side and also laying out some high steer plans.

TC Skid
-simple flat skid mounted to trans cross-member and anti-wrap cross member

I'm sure this list will grow. There are just so many little things I've done over the years I want to change. I guess I just need to know when to stop haha

In other news, we got a lot of new toys in the shop. Picked up a Lincoln 216 from a buddy, got a tubing notcher, built spare parts shelving, and a ton more.

Feel the pain. The dana 300 swap and rear shocks spiraled out of control and ended up being a 7 month ordeal and it still needs tweaking!

That's one thing that gets slightly annoying about working on jeeps... you get it down to a certain point during the tear down/rebuild and like well.... while I'm here.... lets just go ahead and do this, this, and this.. BAM... 5months gone still on jack stands. I mushroomed one of the unitbody rails in the center in my rig and Ordered ruffstuff stiffeners. Also needed new unit bearings in the front end... Now I have WJ brake swap, 3 link front, inner C gussets, and finally about to weld in the stiffeners.

GL Adam. If you see me this weekend come say hey! This is exactly why I am collecting parts and building another trail rig to wheel while I redo ghost..... well at least that is the plan.

GL Adam. If you see me this weekend come say hey! This is exactly why I am collecting parts and building another trail rig to wheel while I redo ghost..... well at least that is the plan.

Thanks Glen! Unfortunately I never made it over to the forest. We left Big Creek around 3:30 and bolted back home to get cleaned up and head to my parents. I saw your photos and it looks like there was quite the show on Dickie Bell. I wish I could have seen it all.

In other news, I got a couple hours of shop time this morning. The rear cross member is in. The anti-wrap axle brackets are welded in. The lower bar is cut to length and the upper bar has been started. I'm trying to keep it as high as possible so it means some clearancing of the floor. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the floor out of the way and tack the bar together. No pictures as I was so focused on working. I'll grab some tomorrow.

Back