• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ power seats into 1992 XJ

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
Don't think this is advanced fab so I figured I'd put it here.

I seem to always pick up vehicles with the worst seats and even worse selection. The early year XJ's are damn near impossible to find replacement seats with the exception of junk yards. So while I was at the pull a part grabbing a few things I picked these power seats up for about 50 bucks + tax.

They don't even come close to fitting but I had some scrap angled steel and other bits I'd been practicing welding on (which I'm not good at by any means). Here's the rear bracket.

Since the back side of the ZJ brake is vertical and the XJ mounts flat it works perfectly. On the hump side I was having some fitment issues. The front right bracket was way to wide. So I cut off a chunk with the dremel. Bad pics sorry.

Now that I got it to sit in the correct position I started cutting out the front some more to get a piece of angel steel in there. This was tricky since the floor bolts were so far back and I didn't have a lot of flat surface. Made it work tho.

Cleaned up the surfaces and welded, drilled and mounted.

So thats where I stopped since I have to work tonight. I'll finish it up tomorrow but I'll be drilling out holes on the seats themselves to move them over toward the hump about an inch. I'll post up more pics tomorrow.

No idea. I didn't want to risk messing them up somehow. The tracks are bolted, riveted and welded into place. Also the motor is weird. Either way it's pretty fun. I haven't got to actually weld much of anything so seemed like a good time to practice.

Definitely not with these guys. The rear up and down mechanism is tied into the lower part and not the rails at all. Looked it it from just about every angle to see if it'd be easier on the passenger side.

Had to weld extension plates to push the seat closer to the middle. Worked out pretty well but if you're taller than 5'10 or so I wouldn't suggest it. They sit a lot higher than the XJ seats/frames. I'll get pics up tomorrow. Was rushed today so didn't get a chance.

This isn't a write up by any means just wanted to document it somewhere and see if I was screwing something up lol

Ok welded up some brackets to the seat itself to move it over toward the trans tunnel. Gives me more room to put some of the plastics back in and not worry about smacking into the seat belt.

The whole sitting high up thing bothered me so I cut the back of the brackets off and drilled a new hole. With the power back all the way down it can fit just about anyone without hitting the roof.

Even with the seat moved over the plastic molding on the side of the seat was contacting the seat belt trim housing. I trimmed off a good chunk of it so it can move almost all the way back without having to worry about smacking into each other.

Now I just have to prime the bare metal and paint everything either black or tan. I'll do the passenger side also once my new floor pan gets in. I'll post up pics of the final project soon.

Back