• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You're either S.W.A.T or you're not-

bknudtsen said:
400px-M16_rifle_Firing_FM_23-9_Fig_.png

Love the pic, truly worth a lot of words. :) Is it possible to open up the gas port enough to allow shorter barrels to cycle properly? I'm curious because I've seen ~8" barrels available (DPMS "kitty kat"), and thats the only means I can think of to increase the cyclic rate of the action (w/o increasing chamber pressure or the gas piston surface area - both of which would require a redesign of the action and or chamber). I suppose you could move the gas port closer to the chamber, but again, wouldn't that still require higher pressure?

-i

Barrel Length is an interesting subject to me atleast. I've read some different topics on the subject and there are some interesting things I've learned. There is an optimal barrel length and a range in which while velocity may be reduced it's by very small amounts for each load and bullet.
Heres a good article I found on this:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/stmach2_032706/index.html

Also with a longer barrel there are more vibrations which effect accuracy quite a bit, hence longer barrels are thicker, to help to stiffen the barrel and reduce the vibrations.

Anyways sweet videos. The Mp5 looked more stable then I would have though on full auto.

great thread on the shooting .. I got to play around at the AMGA (alaska machine gun assoc. ) meeting a few years ago . MP5 silenced is a blast so is a 14 " barrel FAL and to top the day off I competed in a 3 gun match and came in dead last . also shot a PRK , belt fed AK with long barrell , class 3 stuff is the shizzle

Slacker87XJ said:
Love the pic, truly worth a lot of words. :) Is it possible to open up the gas port enough to allow shorter barrels to cycle properly? I'm curious because I've seen ~8" barrels available (DPMS "kitty kat"), and thats the only means I can think of to increase the cyclic rate of the action (w/o increasing chamber pressure or the gas piston surface area - both of which would require a redesign of the action and or chamber). I suppose you could move the gas port closer to the chamber, but again, wouldn't that still require higher pressure?

-i

Yes, you can open up the gas port to increase reliability. However, this causes there to be a sharp pressure impulse that can cause case separations due to the fact that the bolt is unlocking and trying to extract the case before the chamber pressure has dropped. It's pretty finicky at times. You be better off adding a Noveske Krink Flash-hider to add some back pressure to the system first.

The shorter barrels like the "kitty kat" have a shorter gas system like AR pistols do.

Back