• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your top five engines of all time?

1) AMC 4.0L
2) 283 Chevy V8
3) 327 Chevy V8
4) Flathead Ford V8
5) VW aircooled opposed 4 cylinder

I'll admit right up front I know nothing about Japanese motors so the list is a little biased.

1) SBC
2) LS Series', from the truck 5.3 to the LS7 and LS9
3) ZL1, bad a$$ all aluminum 427
4) Oldsmobile Quad 4, predecessor to todays Ecotec
5) 4.Oh, 202,000 and runs like new, how can you go wrong?

LS7 7.4l BBC
(any non-smog) SBC
Rolls/Merlin 12cyl
M-B 3.0l 5cyl diesel
KTM 540cc 2-stroke

Honorable Mention:
Stihl 090 135cc 2-stroke

Mopar slant 6. Automotive and industrial standard. A hundred years from now, someone will be running some kind of pump, truck, van, compressor, siren or snow cat with these...

Oh My... one of my back burner projects is an 'air raid siren' :roflmao: I found a brand new squirrel-cage fan on the side of the road, figure I need to cook up a reed valve of some sort, and a means to spin it (I'm thinking a 77cc saw powerhead with a few mods... -+8.5 hp@15k at the crank) Fully loud as :skull1:in it's own right, but with a howling banshee fan spinning too?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: :viking: :anon: :moon:

We found an old CD siren behind the shop last summer.
We temp wired it and made it spin, I guess the people in the trailer park behind our shop all made a run for it....

What???? No Wankels?

Chrysler 225cuin Slant Six from the '60s is the absolute best. Followed by the small block GM-350

Two mentions for the 20B already.

12A
13B
Whatever 6 was in my 66 C10- 242? 262?

Of the cars I've owned, those engines never required internal work- the rotaries hit 130 and 200K before they were destroyed in accidents, the 318 would only hold 3 qts of oil before it ran out in a stream, and would still drag my old Satellite to 130mph, and the 4.0 is at 138K- the only vehicle I've owned, made after 1988, that didn't blow up at or before 100K.

Last edited:
#1: Toyota 3S-GTE (fast/cheap/reliable, aka, Revolutionary)
#2: Toyota 22re (Gutless wonder, that is actually very difficult to destroy)
#3: Chevy SB 350 (Go's without question, this motor is the most popular to date)
#4: Jeep 4.0liter ( Come on, a company that can go strong for 25 years on 1 motor!)
#5: Honda B-series ( its as easy to push 400hp out of this 4cyl, as it is the SB350, while still maintaining 20mpg+ and fitting into almost all Hondas/acuras)

bull shit:firedevil

What???? No Wankels?

Chrysler 225cuin Slant Six from the '60s is the absolute best. Followed by the small block GM-350

nah blew too many of um up in my younger days

think outside the box, Boost, IS the replacement for displacement:twak:

longevity and cost it is more effective to build some thing with more cubes....boost motors do not last as long as NA motors. and there is no replacement for cubic displacement, thus i drive a 454 CCLB DRW Chevy...i eat uncle ben's for lunch :D

EDIT: but to each his er her (no matter how ridiculous) own i mean we wheel station wagons

??they make lift kits for volvo station wagons??

Last edited:
im not here to argue. to each they're own.
Boost is not what it used to be back in the 80's with K cars,
today's technology has changed the automotive world.

im not here to argue. to each they're own.
Boost is not what it used to be back in the 80's with K cars,
today's technology has changed the automotive world.

i do realize look at the new ZR1 but we are talking about max of 6LBS boost....not 30:hang:

and i do agree boost has its uses our pro street car has a very built BBC427 with a paxton style blower EFI and port nitrous it romps out a bunch of boost and its even intercooled!

But its still old tech

Last edited:
i do realize look at the new ZR1 but we are talking about max of 6LBS boost....not 30:hang:

you are so misguided.

boost makes torque exponentially.

any of the newer terminator cobras, ls1 camaros/vettes, ls7s, etc with boost are making numbers that make my pants really tight.

i can make 400wtq on a honda any day i wanted. they are cheap to make power on. thats why theyre popular with younger kids that want a go fast car for cheap.

boost is the replacement for displacement.

but displacement + boost = just gawd damn ridiculous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGU3iHW7npU << case and point

bolting a turbo up to a bbc would kind of require an intercooler.

look, im on a jeep site. Not honda-tech,or chevy world. I was just stating the fact, and it is a fact, that 400hp is as easy to achieve in a honda or toyota, as a smallblock chevy. and with exstensive modifications, you can achieve double that aswell.

Thats why they are on my list.

Back