• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your top five engines of all time?

1. 300 straight six
2. caddy 502
3. chevy 327 (I love all of the small blocks that chevy built but the 302 and the 327 just stand out as oddballs)
4. wankel rotary
5. Ford 302

AMC/Jeep 4.0, what can I say, they run forever even abused!
Ford 300 six, I love these engines! I have had several and they are tough.
Chevy small block(350, 327, 302, 283) easy to mod, last forever, run great!
Toyota 22(R,RE) I was Toy Tech at one time in my life, I really like these little buggers!
Chevy 4.3, I know a bunch of folks that have gone over 200k on these engines and they are still running strong

1. 12v 6bt
2. chryco 4.0
3. chevy 350
4. toyota 22re
5. mazda klze, to change it up a bit :)

oh damn it. the iron duke, how'd i forget that one. those things are sweet.

1.) Ford 427 SOHC "Cammer"
615hp @ 7,000rpm/single carb
657hp @ 7,500rpm/dual carb

The only engine ever banned from NASCAR. Eventually banned by the NHRA stock class. Purchased at any Ford dealer.

2.) All the rest. ;)

1. Ford 289
2. Nissan VQ35DE
3. Dodge 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
4. Jeep 4.0L (got to throw it in somewhere if it is sitting in the parking lot)
5. BMW 3.2L I6

(and a hearty dishonorable mention goes to the Jeep/Chrysler 3.7L, as well as anything graced with the letters R-E-N-I-X)

What are you :smoker:? Nothing wrong with the Renix vs. the OBD1/OBD2.

I would much rather have my Renix then OBD1 era, and my renix is easier to work on then OBD2.

On a side note, anyone ever notice that all the foreign automakers engines' use codes (22RE, VQ35DE)? What the hell is wrong with using displacement as a designation?

oh damn it. the iron duke, how'd i forget that one. those things are sweet.

Yep another vote for the "Duke" and I shoulda added a seventh one, the Ford 2.3, I have put well over 200k on at least one myself.

I wouldn't mind having a Punto back in the driveway!

My five and why

1) Jeep 4.0 It's a great engine and I'am rebuilding one
2) Ford 351 winsor My first hotrod engine rebuild back in the 80's. Been in several cars still running strong .
3) Chevy 350 If I was a chevy guy .. I would have a bunch of these engines. Lots of aftermarket support and cheap to build.
4) Dodge 318 well I have one in my ZJ 158,000 miles still going strong.
5) Cummins Any of them .The one I drive at work has 430,000 miles with no engine work needed to this point.

Theres many great engines that didn't make my list..Well you could only name five.

That was fun!!!!

Nick

no particular order

1. 5.9 Cummins
2. 4.0 AMC/chryco
3. 350 Chevy
4. Toyota 22re
5. Toyota 2JZ

What are you :smoker:? Nothing wrong with the Renix vs. the OBD1/OBD2.

Haha, I was wondering if anyone would catch that...I don't have a whole lot against the renix, just love what I have more hehe. Although the renix WOULD be easier to work on. :repair:

#1: Toyota 3S-GTE (fast/cheap/reliable, aka, Revolutionary)
#2: Toyota 22re (Gutless wonder, that is actually very difficult to destroy)
#3: Chevy SB 350 (Go's without question, this motor is the most popular to date)
#4: Jeep 4.0liter ( Come on, a company that can go strong for 25 years on 1 motor!)
#5: Honda B-series ( its as easy to push 400hp out of this 4cyl, as it is the SB350, while still maintaining 20mpg+ and fitting into almost all Hondas/acuras)

GM LS1
AMC/Chrysler 242
Nissan VQ35DE
Toyota 22RE
GM 3800 series

I tried to not read any of the other responses first so my answers wouldn't be biased, but now that I'm looking over them it seems like there's a lot of common choices here!

No votes for the Mercedes 240D, 300D? Those have to be some of the most bullitproof engines I have ever came across. Not great on performance but man those things last forever. I cant tell you how many of those things I maintain in my shop with well over 300k on them and still going.
I just hit this thread and haven't got to the end yet, but that would be one of mine.

so before I finish the thread, I'll put in mine:

"All time is a bit difficult, because we might have to add some historic engines, like the Model T, the Ford flathead V-8, the Bugatti Royale, the Offenhauser, etc., but for ordinary, relatively contemporary engines.....

Mercedes 200-220-240D family (normally aspirated OHC 4). My 240D was still ticking like a clock when I gave it away at 325K miles and 28 years (rust et the rest up!). Brilliant design and quality make a luxury car and the world's standard taxicab the same vehicle.

Chevy 350 - kind of like the quintessential "detroit iron."

Jeep 4.0 of course - the culmination of the great American OHV six.

VW flat four. OK, not really the toughest thing around, but a work of genius in its own way.

Mopar slant 6. Automotive and industrial standard. A hundred years from now, someone will be running some kind of pump, truck, van, compressor, siren or snow cat with these.

Runners-up: Almost every other American OHV straight-6. I lament the passing of the great American straight-6. With the possible exception of the egregious OHC Kaiser, has there ever been a bad one?

In no particular order:

Chev small block (big fan of Gen III+ but earlier stuff is cool too)
AMC straight six (runs with a bullet in the block - amazing)
Honda K series (would say F series but I think the K series may be more robost)
VW Diesel
Ford small block (5.0 is as ubiquitous as SBC)

Other engines I like:

ChryCo 4.7 SOHC
VW flat four
Subaru flat four and six (EJ33 in SVX was awesome, likewise EJ27 in my XT6, EJ25 in the Impreza was kinda lame)
Honda B series
BMW straight six ("modern" 3.2 and 3.3 is all I have semi-experience with)

Probably others I'm forgetting

amc six
slant six
dodge 2.2 & 2.5
A mopar
B/RB mopar

unloved: ford vulcan v6

Ford 300
AMC 4.0
Ford 302/351 windsor
Toyota 22R (I'm done with the 4 cyl thing, forever, but they're good engines)
Close between Chev 350 and International "Red Diamond" series engines.

Those are the top 5 motors I would put in a wheeler/DD rig.

Back