• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes another nob question!

It'd better be an HO. That combo is ok (what I have). If I had it to do again, I'd go 4.56's though. Heck, my honda has 4.25's. :)

It's what I got now, non HO, and it works fine. Plan on going 4.88 and 35's by the end of the year though. (fingers crossed)
Should ask this in tech though.

My 94 HO w/ 4.10's and 33's feels fine on and off road. Drove it daily for a while and has several long trips under its belt and it always felt fine. That said, I know 4.56's would have been even better.

paulhead said:
It's what I got now, non HO, and it works fine. Plan on going 4.88 and 35's by the end of the year though. (fingers crossed)

What the hell is a 'nob' question?
Oh wait...I know one,
Babe will you nob me tonight?
Yes, I like getting nobbed.....

Jump This said:
Good, don't smoke all of it this time!!

Oh this is gonna be a FUN party at the cabin!!! I got a Dr.'s note. =)

But to answer the question, 4.10' is fine if you have a stick, 4.56 with an auto. I think the chart shows something around a 4.34 or something....4.56 is just slightly better than the 4.10 in ratio comparison. I will say tho, I get pretty decent mileage with 4.56 on 33's....even when a lot of highway driving. In fact, highway is still where I get my best mileage....probably 17-19mp on the freeway.

SanDiegoXJ said:
Oh this is gonna be a FUN party at the cabin!!! I got a Dr.'s note. =)

But to answer the question, 4.10' is fine if you have a stick, 4.56 with an auto. I think the chart shows something around a 4.34 or something....4.56 is just slightly better than the 4.10 in ratio comparison. I will say tho, I get pretty decent mileage with 4.56 on 33's....even when a lot of highway driving. In fact, highway is still where I get my best mileage....probably 17-19mp on the freeway.

Ummm....well....if you are comparing the two, it would be the other way around.
A 4:10 would perform better in an auto than it would a stick.
There is a stickie thread about R&P ratios...

4.56. No question. I have run them on 32's, 33's, and 35's

32's was the most fun
33's was the most daily driver friendly
35's is acceptable enough not to bother changing them. Doesn't matter now though, more time in 4 low than high.

Jump This said:
Ummm....well....if you are comparing the two, it would be the other way around.
A 4:10 would perform better in an auto than it would a stick.
There is a stickie thread about R&P ratios...

Right, but my '93 YJ with 4.0 and AX-15 came stock with 3.07 gears, my '94 XJ with 4.0 and AW-4 tranny came with 3.55 gears. Unless it's different between the two, it seems like the manual trannies don't require the higher ratio....unless you're talking about lower gears making up for a less than flawless clutch operator....then I would totally agree! I was just referring to retaining the stock ratio tho.

Back