• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes, a vibration thread. I have vibes at speed.

the only other thing i can think of that would be rear-end related would be some sort of ring and pinion issue? which as far as i know, shouldnt cause a vibration. but like i said, everything back there is tight, with no play.

i dunno what to tell ya

Last edited:
I don't post much here, but since I'm on a roll tonight maybe I can help.

I'm not a guru of XJ or anything like that, but sometimes simple things can really help out.

When was the last time everything was cleaned up under there? Could be some stupid cake of clumped up mudd stuck somewhere in some place that could be causing something to rotate and hit it or w/e, and causing you issues. If you've already mentioned that all the main players are in tip top shape, then check the secondary players.

Good idea would also be to slap some other wheels and tires (if you have another set) or maybe burrow another set from a fellow jeeper and see if the problem still occurs. I'm not saying it's most def. the wheels and tires, but just to properly rule them out.

Holding the keyboard closer to the vehicle is similar to putting your ear closer to the person talking... only way I could explain that.... :)

edit: just got an idea.... check the tcase, make sure it's all rock-solid too.

HeavyMetal said:
i dont know what you mean by this, and i hope it isnt what i think it means. (web wheeler?)

No, I'm a web wheeler, never said you were one. All I meant is that your keyboard is the ONLY thing that any of us have to give diagnostic information. Lots of times a multi page two week thread is caused by a problem that could be pinpointed by a 5 minute test ride with the right person.

If your bearings are loose, that ain't right, replace them. But, a typical wheel bearing symptom is "20-40 mph, growls, noise changes while turning/ negotiating curves" which doesn't sound like your problem. See where I'm coming from?

yeah...

this is just driving me insane because it always seems like im diagnosing some new vibration every month and im trying to make a 150 mile trip to jersey tomorrow so im really reachin for fixes i can do tomorrow morning-afternoon. i was sold on the hubs but not so much now

well when i wake up tomorrow im disconnecting the rear shaft just to 100% rule that out and gonna drive around in FWD for a bit and see if it persists, if it does, god help me

Back