• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yella's 5.9 ZJ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Call Keifer.

Wonder how old it is though?
Either way, it Should have the proper RCA outputs.

Yeah, snowboard3r411 had a pair of HUGE subs in a monster box and some huge amp in it. It's got the outputs.

I gotta find another pass. rear cargo panel to cut up before I go installing this thing. I wanna build a recessed box for the sub.

Oh tight, well, is all the wiring still in there then?

That would make life super easy.

No, but I snagged all the wiring (rca jack wires and batt. power wires) from the other install from an XJ.) so I should have everything needed to install it.

I am rerouting speaker wires and making everything look great while my carpet is out. So far its a pain lol. I'm also availible to help install. Hurry up and get a box made lol

Last edited:
Just make sure you don't run anything over the exhaust side. A lot of people never think about it until they can smell their cable melting.

I thought it would be a good idea to put my amp right over my cat, sandwhiching my insulation. After driving for 4 hours, at 4am in the middle of nowhere on I5 the cabin suddenly filled with smoke. :shiver:

After unpacking the back and pulling both the amp and insulation out I was back on the road. Certainly got my heart rate going!

More DD improvements on the ZJ over the past couple days.........

New front rotors and pads........ some goob thought slapping cheap pads on deeply worn rotors constituted "new front brakes"...... I now have smooth braking, no more pulsation.

New track bar. Decent improvement in front handling. Still have a bad TRE at the pitman arm and the rest are questionable and likely OEM. All new MOOG steering parts on order arriving tomorrow. :thumbup:

Full tune up. Plugs were likely originals, electrodes worn to the nubs.... suprised the coil hadn't fried by now, .080 gap and larger....... Coil wire was chafed and arcing on the valve cover. Cap and rotor were OEM and very corroded. I found a TSM for the 5.9 grands about plug wire chaffing/arcing issues and it suggested re-routing the wires and adding additional wire separators, so I did that as well finding extra wire separators in the "Help" section at the auto parts store.

Idler pulley and tensioner pulley both replaced, as was the serp belt. Idler was squealing and the belt was pretty bad.

Air filter looked recent, but full of mountain road dust. Smacked it around and blew it out for now as I plan on a full K&N CAI set up in the future.

Idle is real smooth now and skinny pedal response is like I fed it a Red Bull......... it's got noticeable "wings" now........
burnout.gif

As with any "improvement" they always seem to come with some other form of complication....... I now have a constant clicking noise coming from the "Duty Cycle Purge Solenoid"......

So I'll be spending some quality time on Google looking into whatever that damn thing does and why it's doing it......... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Ok, apparently the DCP is functioning normally when it's clicking like that and the reason I'm hearing it now and not before is they run more often during cold ambient temperatures..... Got pretty good and cold by the time I'd finished up the brakes and tune up tonight so I guess I gotta put up with it making the engine sound like it's got a lifter going bad. I've seen these on the newer XJ's, but never heard one make noise before.......

Last edited:
The purge solenoid on our Durango was so loud I swore the engine had a knock.

Sounds like your making a hell of a driver out of that thing. It always fun working out the sins of previous owners.

My evap purge solenoids do that randomly. They do it more during startup and at idle, if I give it a tiny bit of gas it stops cycling. I thought it was a loose part in the dashboard mine was so loud.

Yeah its weird .... all these years of working on newer XJ's and I've never heard one of these DCP's makes a noise. Never heard it in the couple months I've had the ZJ and then it makes its presence known coincidentaly after the tune up.... :dunno:

Last edited:
Years ago I replaced a clutch for a guy. While I was under there I fixed a really nasty exhaust leak: That is, if you can call a 3/4" gap between the header and head pipe a leak.

It ran so quiet you could hear the bottom end knocking. He blamed me for that. I've enjoyed the quiet ever since.

Today's progress:

All steering parts replaced and lubed, and a pretty-damn-loose steering gear tightened up. Need to get an alignment yet, but the steering feel and response sure got a whole lot better.

Re-purposed a "new" set of stock size gas shocks that I got from Jim (jimgrms) after he lifted his red XJ. He didn't like 'em because they were too stiff for his preference, so I got to thinking they'd be perfect for the slightly heavier ZJ........ and they were. Front shocks are direct swap in, but the rears were 1" shorter and needed to remove the bar pins. This ZJ handles like it's on rails now compared to the OEM shock that were on it. :thumbup:

Kinda interested in getting that thicker MJ sway bar on it now.......

Ok......... never had this happen before......

Passenger front unit bearing had a total failure on the way home today. Thought I'd had a tire blow out. No noise leading up to it, just a sudden "boom", a bit of a lean to the right and a wicked wobble and grinding noise. Luckily, it happened a few blocks from home. I limped it home and dug into it in the dark.

The hub nut was finger tight. Cotter pin/keeper were still in place, but the bearing separated about 3/4" and ground up several of the bearings. The anti-lock ring on the axle shaft got a little chewed, not bad though.

Comparing the unit bearing to a good OEM bearing I had here at the house....... The one that failed must have been a real crappy aftermarket replacement. Quite a bit different.

Notice the difference in the outter bearing collar. The one on the left is the busted one and the one on the right is OEM. No support for the center hub on the busted one, where the OEM one supports the hub all the way to the flange.

What sucks is that the driver's side looks like the busted one too so I'll have to keep an eye on that one until I get another good OEM unit to swap it with. These bearings look fairly new and were probably changed when the new CV shafts were installed.

The other frustrating part was that the flanges have that hub centering ring around the hub nut where the shaft comes through. The crappy bearings have a thicker centering ring so my 36mm socket won't fit into the ring to get onto the nut. The OEM ones have plenty of room for the socket. :mad:

100_0780.jpg

Wow, that does look pretty shoddy.

Any markings? I want to know what company I should never buy from.

Thankfully that happened on a street with a fairly low speed limit and not on the highway going 65, or in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back