• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Replacement

guzzirider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I know this is bad. But my daughters college car a 91 volvo is dying. We can get $ 4,000 for it with Obama's CARS program. I can trade in the the volvo and get a new 4x4 SUV to replace my wife's 2000 XJ.

Any suggestions??

I am thinking a v6 Mavda Tribute or a Jeep Liberty

To use that voucher, the replacement has to get better mileage than the Volvo did, I'm not fond of the program and to be honest, I'd rather find somebody that would use the old car for parts and give it to them that use to keep an existing car on the road than give it to that program and let it get crushed while full of usable parts.

Both of your options are likely ineligible for the voucher. Buy her another used car. Cheaper now and in the long run and you aren't creating all the extra pollution of building a new car when there's plenty of good used cars out there. Then add on that the "free" money is coming from taxes, and it's not such a great deal.

I am paying the taxes if I use the program or not. Just like I paid for the bailout of companies I never supported. The cars aren't crushed they are parted except the engine block.

The volvo is rated at 18 MPG, new 4x4s get better than that.

Last edited:
I am paying the taxes if I use the program or not. Just like I paid for the bailout of companies I never supported. The cars aren't crushed they are parted except the engine block.

The volvo is rated at 18 MPG, new 4x4s get better than that.
If the program takes off, they will extend it. And charge the rest of us more in taxes.

The Volvo may 18 mpg, but the Liberty only gets about the same, it's bigger and heavier than our XJs with a more powerful engine (that still has to work harder than the 4.0 to move the thing), it's not going to improve on your 18. What was the Volvo rated at by the gov't? That's the rating that counts. The Mazda Tribute might improve on your mpgs enough to be eligible. Either way, it's still tax money that should be spent on other programs and a 4-6 yr payment that works out to far more than you'd spend otherwise on a comparable used (3-5) yr old vehicle without the voucher. As far as what goes away, no part of the drivetrain may be reused. That's engine, transmission, transfer case (if applicable), etc. That can easily be reworded to include axles, driveshafts, and any other part they decide they don't like.

EDIT: What kind of Volvo is it? On fueleconomy.gov a 1991 Volvo 740 Wagon with a stick shift is rated 22 mpg combine, a 2009 Mazda Tribute 4wd 4cyl is rated at 21 combined so it's unlikely that a Volvo for 4wd exchange will be eligible for the credit.
link for those who want to play around with it. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Last edited:
Volvo 940 turbo gets, est govt 18mpg. so it will qualify. Payments don't worry me I will do as I have done in the past, pay a grand a month until it is gone.

Volvo is rated 18, V6 Tribute 4x4 is rated 20.

However based on
The new vehicle must have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of not more than $45,000. That price appears on the window sticker on new vehicles. The new vehicle must also achieve minimum combined fuel economy levels. For passenger automobiles, the new vehicle must have a combined fuel economy value of at least 22 miles per gallon. For category 1 trucks, the new vehicle must have a combined fuel economy value of at least 18 miles per gallon. For category 2 trucks, the new vehicle must have a combined fuel economy value of at least 15 miles per gallon. Category 3 trucks have no minimum fuel economy requirement; however, there are special requirements that apply to the purchase of category 3 vehicles.
, you're safely under the requirements.
However, I still don't necessarily think it's a wise decision or a proper usage of our tax money.

Last edited:
'Think it's a stupid program, but, if you're going to try it:

I read somewhere that the voucher program is in lieu of trade in/cash back offers, etc.
If you're going to try to use it, go to the dealership, get all the haggling out of the way, then when you get a price agreed on, ask about the voucher. You might find out you can spend less money by not using the voucher, in which case you end having to private sell the Volvo.

The dealers are required to apply any rebates and cash back offers in addition to the voucher.

Back