• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hunting Rig

jeepwheelin02

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 2001 XJ that I intend to use for hunting. It has 225k miles on it, but is in decent shape. It has a 4" ProComp lift and 30" tires on it already. Which is more than enough for my use of hunting here in Colorado. My question is what should I do to ensure it stays reliable for mild off-roading?

I was thinking frame stiffeners front to back since it does not have any. Gas tank skid. Front and rear bumpers, with a front winch.

Anything else I should be looking at to ensure its good to go?

I would start with the important stuff, rock rails and recovery points.

I've been building a hunting specific rig out of my 96 xj for the last year and a half. Mostly my focus has been mods that will prevent me from becoming stranded somewhere remote, not necessarily for hardcore wheeling.

Front and rear bumpers with heavy duty unibody tie-ins
Rough Country Winch on the front
Dual batteries
Cowl intake (mostly to make room for 2nd battery but I get the "mini-snorkel" effect with it).
Gutter mounted platform style roof rack
2" lift

I also carry chains for all 4 wheels. I really don't want to get stuck in some of the places I hunt.

Frame stiffeners get my vote, along with reinforcement for the steering box.

Check your motor and trans mount. Worn out motor mounts can put your fan into your radiator and that can leave you stranded out in the boondocks.

Get well acquainted with your crankshaft position sensor. Carry a spare and about 3' (yes, feet) of extensions so you can change it on the trail. Even better is to remove your current one and slot the holes so you can pull it out without having to fully remove the bolts. Then slot your spare as well.

I would start with the important stuff, rock rails and recovery points.

Exactly my thoughts with the front and rear bumpers and winch.

I've been building a hunting specific rig out of my 96 xj for the last year and a half. Mostly my focus has been mods that will prevent me from becoming stranded somewhere remote, not necessarily for hardcore wheeling.

Front and rear bumpers with heavy duty unibody tie-ins
Rough Country Winch on the front
Dual batteries
Cowl intake (mostly to make room for 2nd battery but I get the "mini-snorkel" effect with it).
Gutter mounted platform style roof rack
2" lift

I also carry chains for all 4 wheels. I really don't want to get stuck in some of the places I hunt.

Got any more information on the cowl intake and dual batteries? I also have no desire to become stranded where I hunt. It would take a lot of walking to get out.

Chains are definitely on my list.

First order of business is make sure it has had the head replaced!

I was just reading about that yesterday. I plan on checking today after work to make sure I do not have the 0331 head. If I do, I will look into it. I drives very well.

Frame stiffeners get my vote, along with reinforcement for the steering box.

Check your motor and trans mount. Worn out motor mounts can put your fan into your radiator and that can leave you stranded out in the boondocks.

Get well acquainted with your crankshaft position sensor. Carry a spare and about 3' (yes, feet) of extensions so you can change it on the trail. Even better is to remove your current one and slot the holes so you can pull it out without having to fully remove the bolts. Then slot your spare as well.

I will check the mounts. Thanks! I'm very familiar with the CPS. I use to have a TJ on 35's years ago.

I received a boat load of paperwork with this thing on past maintenance. In the last 4 years it has received lots of new parts. I think they got tired of throwing money at it, when they got their last quote for repairs in Dec. It needs a new clockspring, a new driver side hood latch, and a blower motor resistor. The quote they got for those was almost 2k. I ordered the parts yesterday for less than 200. Should only take a few hours to have everything in excellent condition again.

They obviously did not know about the blower motor resistor, as they threw a new waterpump, heater core, thermostat, and radiator flush at it trying to fix the heat issue.

Let me know if yall can think of anything else.

Thanks!!!

For frame stiffeners look at Hooligan's. He is in CO. A bit more $. His prices include shipping though.
I'd add :https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p158/Dirty30_Budget_Upgrade_Kit!.html#/
As an upgrade.
I might think about regearing to 4.10's. Upgrade the battery cables.

I do have a 2000 XJ with 260K on it. I am not sure if the head has been replaced. I have been around two with cracked heads at 80K. I do plan to replace the head with one from a '99. I am doing Chevy Big valves on two heads. Ones going on a mini stroker.
I might think about 4.10 gears. Gear box brace. ??? I do have the Bad Dad Fabs hidden winch bumper. Also, I did install an Ironman's steering box brace on another XJ. What trackbar and bracket? If RE, then their trackbar bracket.
I'd possibly think about a cubi plate, for the pocket in the rear passenger compartment. Store some emergency essentials. I also, have a tire cover from a GC. It has pockets etc. for tire repair stuff.

Got any more information on the cowl intake and dual batteries? I also have no desire to become stranded where I hunt. It would take a lot of walking to get out.

Chains are definitely on my list.

Let me know if yall can think of anything else.

Thanks!!!

This could be a long write-up by itself but the short story is I installed a cowl intake from Trailhead Offroad which freed up the space where the stock airbox was, and then had a friend who is a good welder fab up a battery platform to fit in that space. Had to move the ECU back a little bit as well to make room. We installed a solenoid/isolator in the engine bay, and then wired a switch inside the cab so I can charge/combine the two identical batteries while the motor is running. Also put in a failsafe by wiring to the ignition so if I forget to turn off that switch in the cab, the solenoid switches back to isolate mode when I turn the key off so the batteries can't drain each other down overnight or anytime the vehicle is off. With this setup I can run the vehicle, winch, inverter and all other accessories while always keeping one battery charged and in good shape should the need arise. Of course, you could always just get a good quality battery booster and keep it under the seat for some emergency jumps if you don't want to go this route. Just a heads up, the cowl intake is loud and my wife hates it. I would not install one if it was my daily driver.

Other preventative measures I've taken to hopefully not let my hunting rig become stranded....I carry an extra drivebelt and 15 mm wrench in case the belt goes, a 1/2" wrench to tighten or loosen battery terminals, extra fuses, and a small portable air compressor. Classic items like shovel, hi lift jack, and extra gas can are added as needed depending on where I'm going because I do occasionally use this Jeep for other things and I hate always having things like that hanging on the exterior like a mobile Christmas tree. Some people carry many more extra parts and tools but I haven't gone that far down the rabbit hole yet.

XJ's make sweet hunting vehicles, I can't understand why so many people choose side by side UTV's or full size trucks over them. Good luck and don't get stranded out there!

Back