• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ failing inspection -- Readiness

There both obd2 I don't see why it couldn't be done.
I had the "ready" issue because the battery was disconnected for awhile.
IL. test facility were the first ones who told me a certified repair shop can turn the system on.
I think you get three chances here in IL and they suspend the registration too.
Yeah, check engine light does not have to be on for that situation to be present, and it could take up to a thousand miles for the system to arm itself from what I learned.

I would like some more details on this myself.

Between all the driving around and who was available to test my '96 (OBDII) and when I had it in three different test facilities, attempting to address the readiness issue each time. No one ever suggested they had the ability to turn the system on or arm it. The response was consistently "Go drive it some more."

It would seem they would have offered that service if it were available to offer in the first place. For a price of course. Who doesn't want to make another buck?

http://epa.ohio.gov/portals/27/echeck/docs/Comprehensive_OBD_ReadinessInfo.pdf

It may only be possible on early obd2 G.M.'s.
Read this, it does tell you how to determine if the system is ready on a jeep.

That is a cool link.

I was not aware of the readiness test being available via the MIL lamp. Good to know.

OTOH, I don't see any means of forcing a state of readiness besides a driving cycle. It is nice that the GM system provides such a detailed level of what is required to achieve readiness for each particular system, but it appears to me it is still done by driving. Things like five minutes at 55 mph in order to set the catalyst monitors makes a lot of sense. You are not going to achieve the required temps while sitting at idle in a shop bay. I am more inclined to think someone was offering the moon at someone else's expense for the sake of their own convenience.

*update*

Took the jeep to a friend at the dealer. His scanner showed a P0463 ( fuel sending unit voltage too high ). The gauge HAS been acting up and it currently "stuck" at empty. Not sure if this could cause any type of interference or malfunction. Going to check the grounds/connections and look into replacing the fuel sending unit.

This is 100% your issue as to why the monitors aren't running. The evap monitor will only run on a cold start if you have between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank and the ambient and coolant temps are below 80*. If you are throwing a code of the FSU it will pause that monitor and prevent any other test from running.
I'd replace the FSU, reset the computer. Make sure you have between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank.

Start the jeep up when it's cold and let it sit and idle for 5-10 minutes (let it get up to normal temp). This should run the O2 heater monitor and the EVAP monitor. Take it for a drive, get on the highway and cruise ~55mph for 3-5 minutes, pull over and stop and let it idle in gear for 3-5. This should run the Cat efficiency monitor and the O2 monitor. This process should run all your tests and if everything is good you should be ready for your inspection.

Back