• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ autp trans options

I looked at the Rail II. Looks nice and is only $95, so I put the jeep shifter in "D" then select the gear with the Rail II as I want correct?

Correct and you definately want to wire in a switch to control the torgue converter. The AW4 will get very hot without the torgue converter locked running freeway speeds.Its also nice to be able to lock the torgue converter on a down grade for better engine compresion braking. I wired up a switch to be able to run the trans in stock auto mode or manual mode. The diagram is on RAdesigns website.

Correct and you definately want to wire in a switch to control the torgue converter. The AW4 will get very hot without the torgue converter locked running freeway speeds.Its also nice to be able to lock the torgue converter on a down grade for better engine compresion braking. I wired up a switch to be able to run the trans in stock auto mode or manual mode. The diagram is on RAdesigns website.

can you elaborate a little more on that? so if i can lock the converter as i please wouldn't i make this into a 7spd?
1 1&TQ lock
2 2&TQ lock
3 3&TQ lock
and 4 is the locked TQ? i haven't been in the jeep in a few days and am trying to remember how it shifts, since i totaled out my car i've been in a 2013 dodge caravan..... now that is a real dog with an amazing 1.4 second throttle delay:mad:

The rail shifter is a great thing to have but didn't you say you didnt want to run in 3rd gear at high rpms? Have you adjusted your TV cable recently? That alone should make a big difference in the trans operation.

If it doesn't do enough for you then you either have to regear to 4.88s, find another set of axles that can go deeper then 4.88s, down size to 33s or live with it lol the difference offroad between 33s and 35s isnt massive if you drive a lot on road I would consider it, but I would start off by adjusting that tv cable.

Last edited:
can you elaborate a little more on that? so if i can lock the converter as i please wouldn't i make this into a 7spd?
1 1&TQ lock
2 2&TQ lock
3 3&TQ lock
and 4 is the locked TQ? i haven't been in the jeep in a few days and am trying to remember how it shifts, since i totaled out my car i've been in a 2013 dodge caravan..... now that is a real dog with an amazing 1.4 second throttle delay:mad:

The TC will not lock in 1st gear, only 2nd 3rd and 4th. But yes I guess you can say it will add a gear in between gears. Its really about half a gear but it does well. Just watch your heat when at freeway speeds when the TC is not locked. On the trail in low, heat is not an issue, I never run the TC on the trail in 4 low. Also what ever selection you have the trans shifter in is the highest gear you can control manualy. Example 1-2 position controls 1st and 2nd only with manual shifter, 3 position controls 1st, 2nd, and 3rd only on manual shifter, D position all gears in manual.

Last edited:
The TC will not lock in 1st gear, only 2nd 3rd and 4th. But yes I guess you can say it will add a gear in between gears. Its really about half a gear but it does well. Just watch your heat when at freeway speeds when the TC is not locked. On the trail in low, heat is not an issue, I never run the TC on the trail in 4 low. Also what ever selection you have the trans shifter in is the highest gear you can control manualy. Example 1-2 position controls 1st and 2nd only with manual shifter, 3 position controls 1st, 2nd, and 3rd only on manual shifter, D position all gears in manual.

ok cool cause i'm liking my options with that shifter.

when i put my stock shifter into "3" and drive like that it's pretty high, then i move it into the "D" position and it shifts what seems like 2 more times though. that's the weird part, i'll have to take a video with my phone and post it here.
i'll try to explain it....
selector in "3" at say 3,200 rpms speedo reading 50MPH
then i move it into "D" down shifts RPMs to 2,500 still 50MPH then almost immediately shifts again to say 1,800 RPMs still goin 50MPH. so... uhhhh:dunno:
what i'm trying to do is keep it at that 2,500RPMs gear, what ever it is.

i made all of those RPMs and MPH numbers up but you get the idea of what it's doing while driving in "D".

The last so called shift is the torque converter locking up!!

yep that would be the torque converter.

The AW4 is a 4 speed automatic transmission with a lock up torque converter. What you are seeing is 3rd gear then 4th gear then 4th gear with the converter locking up.

HA!! I was right, I thought I was loosing it because when I told my brother who has been into the XJ for years it shifted like that he said That wasn't possible because I have a 4 speed. He was thinking it was 3 gears with 4 being the TQ lock up.

Thanks guys, I guess what I'm wanting to do is leave the jeep in 4 without the TQ lock up unless I'm on the highway.

I'm a bit confused. I have a 2001 auto on 35s with 4:56 gears. It's just barely lower than stock gearing. I personally want lower gears but why are people saying its a bad combo?

Also, I have a ton of power on the fwy and up hills. Should I go triple check I have 4:56 gears?

Back