• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: front & rear differentials geared 4.10 OR someone who can swap gears

broclirobb

NAXJA Forum User
i need to swap out my gears on my 94 xj
currently have dana 30 and 8.25 with 3.55, looking to get 4.10

I have 2 options, buy the gears and have somene swap them for me, which I believe will be expensive, or find and swap already 4.10 geared diffs.

I found an xj part out with front and rear dana 35s with 4.10 but I think that go from 8.25 in rear to 35 is a downgrade and not worth it. am i wrong??

Does anybody have what i need in either a 8.25 or 44?
Does anybody know a good mechanic or yourself that can do a gear swap for me if i just buy the gears??

any help is appreciated

btw I am running 32s with no plans to go bigger. I have full under armor skids, arb bull bar bumper, full range roof rack, rockhard swing out tire carrier, and plans to add a winch. I over heated the other day pulling 2 jetskis from santa monica to lake perris...

I am located in Venice

Also, I'm pretty sure i need 4.10 gears and not 4.56, I do a good amount of highway driving as this is my only car for transportation. not building a rock crawler.

if you have time, look for cheap used parts for the re-gear

the way i did it for the dana 30:

4.10 used gears: $40
used detroit locker: $150
install kit and installation: $200
total: $390

i did this to a dana 30 that a friend gave me, so i also did brakes and had to buy knuckles, but I'm assuming you will just use the current housing under the jeep. it will be cheaper if you don't go with a locker like i did and just run it open, maybe add a locker later. i used rwkhaussupply for the install, and your install cost will go up if the axles are still on the vehicle.

for the rear your cheapest option is probably to find a 4.10 geared 8.8 on half day at the JY. took me a while to find one while it was half day, but i only paid $100 so it was worth it to me. a ruff stuff simple swap kit is only $130 after shipping, you'll also need either a new driveshaft flange or adapter U joint, about $30.

so for the rear your total could be around $260 plus whatever you want to put into it for brakes, e brake cables, and prop valve.

this is, IMO, the cheapest way to do it short of finding a killer deal on already geared axles. but you also have to get lucky finding the used gears/carrier/locker for the dana 30, which could take awhile.

i need to swap out my gears on my 94 xj
currently have dana 30 and 8.25 with 3.55, looking to get 4.10

I have 2 options, buy the gears and have somene swap them for me, which I believe will be expensive, or find and swap already 4.10 geared diffs.

I found an xj part out with front and rear dana 35s with 4.10 but I think that go from 8.25 in rear to 35 is a downgrade and not worth it. am i wrong??

Does anybody have what i need in either a 8.25 or 44?
Does anybody know a good mechanic or yourself that can do a gear swap for me if i just buy the gears??
What is the price of the F/R geared axles? If low enough..buy/keep the 30, sell the 35 to offset cost of gearing 8.25. Also, if you can snag a 29-spl 8.25 cheap, most places charge less out of the axle, gear that and swap the geared axles in then. You can swap in either or at different times, just do not use 4wd and/or pull the front shaft.

any help is appreciated

btw I am running 32s with no plans to go bigger. I have full under armor skids, arb bull bar bumper, full range roof rack, rockhard swing out tire carrier, and plans to add a winch. I over heated the other day pulling 2 jetskis from santa monica to lake perris...

I am located in Venice

Back