• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: complete Chrysler 8.25 rear axle

Never got your PM brother. I still have both rear ends.

Sorry about that ridgerunner, I forgot about this thread. The PM said something to the effect of "can you meet this weekend?" :)

Anyway, Danman hooked me up with a complete axle drum to drum (less the parking brake levers hehe). I swapped it out last week. Loving the new gearing..

Also a major upgrade for me since I didn't have hydraulic brakes on my last axle. So nice not having to engine brake with 1st gear

Damage on the old axle wasn't toooo bad. Probably should have serviced the pinion before it exploded.

20140515_001.jpg

20140515_002.jpg

The one thing I can't figure out is the ratio.

My 8.25" with 3.07 gears had a bolt tag that reads "3.07". This axle has either one or two tags that read "2039" and/or "0205" (I found two tags in the catch container but one may be from something else).

The axle should be a 3.55.

BUT when I record my RPMs at various set speeds via my Vbox I am getting the exact #s for a 3.73 final gear ratio. 1700 RPM @ 40 MPH, 2500 RPM @ 60 MPH, 2950 RPM @ 70 MPH if I recall correctly. This is in 4th gear (1:1) and an effective tire diameter of 30" (31" mud terrains). I'm nowhere close to 3.55 or 4.11 (for comparison) with these measurements.

I'm kicking myself for not looking as the tooth counts when I had the cover off. I guess I could try to count the DS turns by turning a wheel with the rear up. But shouldn't RPM-speed measurements be just as accurate, if not more accurate than the spin method? Keep in mind that my speed measurement is from a Vbox and not the vehicle speedo

Once I sort this out I can start a relaxed search for a correctly geared front axle

Finally, thank you Dan! NAXJA always comes through for me when I need it most

Back