• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would you buy a '99 4.0 4x4 140k?

Went to Autozone got the codes.

Threw 4.

1. PO201 Fuel Injector circuit condition - injector #1

Probable cause:

a. Open or shorted fuel injector(s)
b. Open or short in electrical circuit
c.High fuel pressure - pressure regulator - defective - fuel return line blocked
d. Check TPS and circuit for failure

2. P0122 (Throttle Position) sensor

Probable cause:

a. Sensor open or shorted internally - replace component
b. Check connector and wiring to sensor

3. P1391 CMP or CKP signal intermittent condition

Probable cause:

a. Timing belt or chain stretched or jumped
b. Defective CMP sensor

4. P0171 Fuel trim bank one condition - computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank only.

Probable cause:

a. If bank One and Two codes set together suspect fuel pressure or MAF sensor
b. Oxygen sensor defective
c. Ignition misfire - repair
d. Fuel injector problem

Now where to begin???

Suppose I'll pull the plugs today and check their condition/Gap first.

Did not misfire this morning but I only drove about 10min there and back from Autozone.
All guages dropped out on way home. Check engine light went out - AIRBAG light came back on.

Got the codes-bought some oil/filter and new Champion copper plugs just in case I find bosch or something else in her. Gonna inspect cap rotor and wires first.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Did the PO provide receipts for the "repairs" he did?

Take a look at the fuel injector wiring, especially injector #1. Also, I'd go by some fuel system cleaner and put the bottle in on your next fill up. That might solve any clogs in the fuel system. Also, I'd replace the TPS with a known working one. You can find them on here from fellow members as well.

All in all, congrats with the 99! I've had 7 xj's from Renix to post 96 and I must say I am Hapiest with my 99. You get the upgraded intake manifold, get to keep the HP D30, get to keep your distributor, and potentially have a very stout 29 spline c8.25 axle. Make sure you cleared all the codes, hopefully a couple of them wont come back ;)

Very clean! It might be hard to recover $2500 in stock parts though. But regardless I'm sure you could resell it for 2500 worst case scenario.

Parting out is not really what I want ... I Think she's worth saving and hopefully keeping forever.

Time to get my hands dirty. Got a lot of figuring out to do.

Parting out is not really what I want ... I Think she's worth saving and hopefully keeping forever.

Time to get my hands dirty. Got a lot of figuring out to do.

Good way to look at it. BTW I paid 6 grand for mine last February and now she just rolled over 130k on the odo. You got a great deal. Even if she takes a grand to be completely healthy you would have paid much less than me.

good thats the spirit. A volt meter will help out a lot.

Good way to look at it. BTW I paid 6 grand for mine last February and now she just rolled over 130k on the odo. You got a great deal. Even if she takes a grand to be completely healthy you would have paid much less than me.
Damn thats a lot!!! I paid $1800 for mine 2 years ago. However, it was 2wd back then ;) gotta love the cheaper insurance since its still classified as 2wd :D

You guys aren't gonna belive this...

Pulled the cap, rotor, wires and plugs.

Rotor is toast.

Cap has so much build-up that the rotor wore a groove in the junk.

Plugs were Accel "Dry" and very burnt. Gapped out at .045+

I replaced them with champion copper plus @ 2$ each.

I'll pick.up a new cap, rotor and wireset tomorrow.

The anticipation is killing me :)

Could it be this simple? We'll see tomorrow.

Right on! I wonder why it was throwing fuel injector codes lol. Hopefully this solves the problem

If you still have a P1391 after the new parts, you're gonna have to index the cam sensor in the dizzy.

my 98 had a bad misfire that was caused by a faulty cap rotor once....so yes it could be that simple. if it is, you scored big time.

Late to the party, but yes, it could be that simple. The strong ignition and the enngine management system together will keep it starting and running even when it's in bad shape, so often the first clue that maintenance is due is the point at which it really conks out.

I bought my 99 a few years ago with 144K on it. It's going strong still at 255K. Third XJ for me, and the best yet.

AZone only had alum. Cap and rotor so I went to Napa and got brass. Went ahead and replaced the - chassis ground wire to the battery, cut back on the -&+ wires reattached eveverything nice and clean. Unfortunately I think i'm only partialy done. She fired right up but still idleing a bit low. Drove around the block and she hesitated a bit here and there. Pulled in the driveway and as soon as I shifted from D to Park "died". Fired right back up so played with the shifter a bit. Switched to D and then to N and she coughed and died again. Fired right back up so I tried again same result..

So I got the ignition part of her going. Now time for fuel and sensors I guess?

Picked up some seafoam... Gonna try to flush out the fuel lines/injectors. What do you guys think?

Not sure if she's still missing, didn't drive around enough. But the low idle has got to be fuel or sensor related eh?

I would replace the tps first then if it still has problems, replace the cps. Did you put any fuel system cleaner in yet?

Not yet. Gonna run some of that seafoam through the has. Have a little less than 1/4 of gas in her... Thought I'd add maybe a 1/4 can of seafoam and let it run for a while.

Thank you so much for your help by the way!

I've been trying to take out the sagging headliner thats annoying me while I think about the whole sensor thing. Really like the idea of trying a good used tps first.

On my 99 my headliner was sagging when i got it too, what i did was rip off the fabric and sanded the board a little bit and then painted the headliner board black with regular house paint. It has a neat texture now kind of like line-x and looks really clean, and Ill never have to worry about it again. Good call on the 99, i love mine.

Thats cool, I actually got the whole headliner out in one piece and scrubbed off the foam and going to put new liner on. Possibly vinyl or something thats easy to clean. We'll see what they have at Hobby Lobby/JoAnn when I go. Just need it of my head and out of my way for now... it was driving me crazy!

Need to focus on the engine problems first.

Back