• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't buy another Hayden fan

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
I just had another wheeling trip cut short thanks to Hayden fans. I am using two Hayden 12" fans on my radiator and they work O.K. when they work. But I have had 4 Hayden fans fail on me in 3 years. One caught fire internally and nearly burned up my ride. I have to say that the folks at Hayden have excellent customer service and even sent me a free replacement for the last one that failed but that just doesn't cut it when you are half way up a hill that you wouldn't dare try to back down and your temp gauge is yelling "shut it off dumbass!". So lesson learned, you can not get a quality radiator fan cheap. Now I am looking at the Taurus fan mod. I wanted to be different but now I just want to be safe.

x 2 and add "imperial" brand to that list. I have 3- 10" fans and a brand new radiator and now that summer is here I am beginning to overheat again. Checked out my fans, and only the new "other" brand name fan is pulling like it should while the other 2 (hayden and Imperial....but identical in design and housing.) just lazily half ass spin up.

Hayden markets the "imperial" brand stuff.Garbage.The best fan i have found is www.zirgo.com excellent fans and i have 1 14" BLU zirgo fan ijn place of my stock fan clutch and run the newer style factory aux fan.been in there for 3 years no NO problemas and kicks booty!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

goodburbon said:
x 2 and add "imperial" brand to that list. I have 3- 10" fans and a brand new radiator and now that summer is here I am beginning to overheat again. Checked out my fans, and only the new "other" brand name fan is pulling like it should while the other 2 (hayden and Imperial....but identical in design and housing.) just lazily half ass spin up.

While replacing my bad fan last night I disassembled the motor and found that the brushes had burned a large spot into the commutator. These fans are made with very poor quality components. I wish someone had wised me up to this before I shelled out a total of $320 on replacing fans.

I killed 3 electric fans in the Heep....now I have a stock fan and clutch....the world goes full circle.

The jeep gained too much pep when I switched to all electric, I am gonna make it work even if I have to bolt one of these other haydens I have lying around to the hood and mount an extra heater core in my hood vent.

markaboo929 said:
did ya check the zirgo one's.life time warranty too.ya may want to check ebay on them as well.thats where i got mine.
I saw the warranty on their site. I am planning to do alot of research this time and get the best most reliable fan I can find.

goodburbon said:
The jeep gained too much pep when I switched to all electric, I am gonna make it work even if I have to bolt one of these other haydens I have lying around to the hood and mount an extra heater core in my hood vent.
WWMD?

What would moggie do?

I hear a mailbox calling your name.

markaboo929 said:
Hayden markets the "imperial" brand stuff.Garbage.The best fan i have found is www.zirgo.com excellent fans and i have 1 14" BLU zirgo fan ijn place of my stock fan clutch and run the newer style factory aux fan.been in there for 3 years no NO problemas and kicks booty!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

I ordered one on your advice and its the SAME FAWKING FAN AS THE HAYDEN, IMPERIAL etc. except it was 70 bucks instead of 49.

The only difference is the fan blade. The housing, cage and motor are identical to the other POS units.

I am soooooooooo fawkin pissed!

goodburbon said:
I ordered one on your advice and its the SAME FAWKING FAN AS THE HAYDEN, IMPERIAL etc. except it was 70 bucks instead of 49.

The only difference is the fan blade. The housing, cage and motor are identical to the other POS units.

I am soooooooooo fawkin pissed!

Shoulda done the GoJeep Taurus Mod. Prolly cheaper and available in every Junkyard you see. When I go all electric thats my plan.

When I did research a few years back, the two fan manufacturers that I couldn't find bad things about were Spal and Derale. I chose Derale. My fan uses Bosch motors. Otherwise I would look into the OEM fans like the previously mentioned Taurus fan. I know I had seen at least one Taurus fan based off of a Siemens motor, which is a quality indicator.

One these days when I have a reason to pull my minivan fan off I will have to take some dimensional measurements and try and see if I can determine the CFM's it pulls.

Go to the pick and pull and buy a taurus fan and be done with it. I haven't put one on my XJ yet, but I've had them on several other trucks and never had a problem. Best 25 bucks you can spend.

Here is how I wire mine.

2speedfanvq9.jpg

I get my 70 amp relays from ww.12voltguy.com. http://www.12voltguy.com/70amprelay.htm
They are the same size as a standard relay but with bigger terminals on the power sides.

Yeah, but the junkyards around here suck. I have to drive an hour to get to the u-pull it and the local guys who have taurus fans don't care to sell them because they aren't that expensive. I've contacted them 3 times in the past 2 weeks about a seat and they say "i'm not gonna pull a tech off of a 1000 dollar engine job to get a seat, we'll give you a call when we get a tech free."

I pulled 7 of them the last time I was at my Pick and Pull. They normally sell on ebay for about 40-60 depending on if they have the plug or not. I've only got 2 at the house right now and they are spoken for, but the next time I go I'll grab some more and post them up on here.

Another thing if you go the taurus fan route. Make sure you get the one that fits 91-95 Taurus/Sable/Continental with the 3.8L. It's the 2 speed with about 2000 cfm on the low speed and 4000-4500 on the high. The 3.0L are a single speed and only pull about 2500 cfm.

I don't know if you guys noticed this but.....ITS A 16" fan and its fawkin huge!!!

I'm just pissy today, forgive me, but I had a nice, neat 3 fan setup that looked clean too. Now I will yet again have a frankenstein setup.

On the bright side I now have a spare hayden 14", 3-10"ers and one torqueflo 10", and 2 Taurus fans. If i had the room and electricity I could cool a big ass engine.

Back