• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ buying advice needed

casm

NAXJA Forum User
My folks are looking at getting a WJ. They checked out XJs and decided they were a little smaller than what they wanted, so turned their eye to Grands. The intended use is for their place in Virginia - mainly, a 5-seater than can get through the snow in winter. They've asked me to locate a vehicle for them out here where we've got rust-free vehicles, but my experience with WJs is minimal at best so could use some advice on selecting one.

Basically, for what they want, I'm thinking that a 2002 or 2003, 4.7 V8, NP242 or NP247 (Quadra-Trac II) would be the best bet. The Quadra-Trac I lacks a low range, and the Quadra-Drive just looks expensive to deal with if anything goes wrong. My preference is for the NP242 since it's fairly bulletproof for the sort of use they'll be giving it, has 2WD, and junkyard parts can be found for it more easily than with the NP247. They're not planning on towing with it, so the bigger V8 is probably overkill.

Anyone have any comments on this setup? I've been poking around the various WJ forums before making this shortlist, but would be interested in anything anyone here may be able to add from experience.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but my brother-in-law has a WJ Laredo 2wd with 4.0 I6. He drives it in snow all the time and has never had a problem. Has Bridgestone Duelers on it. If going with 4x4 I would go with the 242 transfer case. Much more common and simple to use. I don't like the aspect of all time 4 w/d with no 2wd option. Just me personally, we have the 242 on our 98 ZJ and really enjoy it.

2001XJeep said:
I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but my brother-in-law has a WJ Laredo 2wd with 4.0 I6. He drives it in snow all the time and has never had a problem. Has Bridgestone Duelers on it.

Good to know - but I probably should've been a little more specific in my questioning. What I'm really looking for is stuff like common problem areas, particularly with the drivetrain spec I posted.

If going with 4x4 I would go with the 242 transfer case. Much more common and simple to use. I don't like the aspect of all time 4 w/d with no 2wd option. Just me personally, we have the 242 on our 98 ZJ and really enjoy it.

Agreed - I have the 242 in my XJ and that was a large factor in my choosing it.

I "heard" this on the Internet so take it for what it is worth...

If you buy a Jeep with a D-C automatic transmission, make sure you ALWAYS run D-C branded fluid in it otherwise it will fail prematurely. Soemthing about an additive? Pure fantasy to sell more overpriced D-C fluid? Dunno.

At any rate, that would tend to make me look at used, lease returns because typically they tend to be serviced at dealerships. Unless you find a private party used one with docs.

Before I bought my XJ I was looking at ZJs and WJs. My drivetrain short list came out to 4.0 with 242. I must admit, I don't remember if the WJ ever came with the 4.0. ZJ did for certain. I'm just throwing that out there. We pay more for gas up here so over the course of a year an extra 1-1.5mpg with the 4.0 makes a sizable difference to the bank balance.

The WJ started with the non rotor 4.0, 242 TC. Eagle bought one with the quadradrive I think and after alot of problems DC bought it back which is how he ended up with his new XJ. They had issues with the aluminum axles and transfer cases. Axles sagged, literally the tubes bent, usually when they pulled the hot castings out and put them in a standard rack for cooling after assembly. There was also a problem with that white cutting/cooling/tooling fluid being left in the TC from improper cleaning which contaminated the lube and destroyed the TC. Alot of the dealers around here had truckloads of fully ready to bolt in axles, front and rear, including brakes already installed so they could swap the whole assembly in a couple of hours. This was 99 and 00 and some 01's so watch out for that. The quadradrive is a rather neat thing, uses georotors in the diffs and transfer case to control traction, made by a company in SanDiego as I remember, not a new thing as they have been used in alot of other applications. I second the 4.0L, 242, bulletproof setup, about the only thing I'd add, maybe have a set currie D44's put in, 2" OME, 31's and thats about it, seen a few up here done that way, both ZJ's and WJ's and its a very nice combo. I don't like aluminum axles. Eagle can probably expand on this, apparently there is a rather distinctive sound and vibration associated with the bad ones.

I just wanted to make a point about the 4.0/242 combo: they do not use the AW4 transmission. They use a D-C tranny (model number escapes me).

45RFE comes to my mind for the auto tranny.

Casm said:
They're not planning on towing with it, so the bigger V8 is probably overkill.

WJ's had 4.0 and 4.7 engines, the Hemi 5.7 wasn't offered until the WK.

I have a 99 WJ with slightly less than 90k miles on it. It's a Laredo with the 4.0, 242, leather, upgraded stereo. It is a very comfy vehicle, although the leg and headroom is sparse for my 6' 2.5" frame. Problems that we have had with it since buying it with 50k miles: rear hatch latch went out, complete brake job at the dealer which supposedly used the factory parts to cure the rotor warping that it had 20k miles later they are warping again, tranny needed somekind of fix but it still sucks, hood lift cylinders quit working, the remote door fob quit working(the one for my 90 XJ STILL works), the interior has all kinds of faults-plastic parts that don't fit well, upholstery that is worn through, tweeter is rattling in the dash, and some kind of clunk in the rear that I can't find.

With all that, we love this thing. I replaced the POS factory tires with Michelin Cross Terrain 235/65-16 tires to help with the Mt terrain. With the 242, the tires, the outside rear view mirror defrosters, etc, it is the best snow driving vehicle I've had. I did put on some "better" shocks, and a stiffer rear swaybar which helped the handling enough that I haven't got around to putting on the stiffer front sway bar. It really did need some help with its handling. The 4.0 in it drives better than any 4.0 I've driven, and we test drove a bunch of late model XJ's before buying the WJ. It is very strong, and the cooling system is mostly adequate. Long grades on hot days with a full roof rack will get it above the midpoint. It has a d-30 front, and d-35 rear, no problem with the axles, the rear might be a little noisy. If I were to do it again, I'd look harder for one with the tow package, and the 3.73 gears.

What really gripes me is the crappy bits of the interior, the POS tranny, and the brakes warping again. I want to keep it, and slowly build it, but the interior dissuades me from that. I'd like to have one car that is nice on the inside, the XJ and MJ are long past that. :laugh3:

Fred

FWIW, my understanding is that the ChryCo trannies can be built to be "bullet-proof" if rebuilt with aftermarket parts, by someone that knows what they are doing.

Again, Internet pseudo-info. Take it for what it is worth.

I wonder if aftermarket leather covers would solve your seat problem?

Tell them to get a used Lancruiser or Lexus LX450 or 470, or Sequoia O-O

Actually my sister in law has a LX300, it's a pretty nice vehicle for urban driving. It doesn't get any better mileage than my WJ, it doesn't have 4-lo(which we do use upon occasion), and it's not near as quick. It is quiet and comfy, drives nice, and she found one used for a good price. It has HID headlights which are way nice. I think if you can find one for a good price, it's a good urban SUV.

I've had in mind having the tranny rebuilt with some good parts, I think it's Level 10, or something like that which hops them up. What really gets me is the ill fitting plastic parts, trivial but irritating. I suppose if I spent some time I could add and subtract some material from them to make them fit and still allow dissembly. The damn thing is paid for which makes it a good car, although it ain't worth squat as a trade in.

Fred

Wj's are nice, the 242 is the tcase to get, the V8 engines is strong and makes alot of power, So far it has a decent reputation and there are stories of people getting 200k out of them already, but you can't go wrong with the proven 4.0. I owned a 99 WJ with the quadradrive, it sucked, DC has like a dozen service bullitens out for all kinds of axle issues. The 8cyl sucks to work on in comparison to the 4.0 especially when it is crammed into the engine compartment. If you get one with Quadradrive, make sure there are no noises! They do require special fluid and failure to use the mopar stuff in the TC will destroy it, same goes for the axles, they take some highly modified fluid. When you check out a WJ to buy drive it in small tight cirlcles and listen for any kind of binging from the T-case or axles. The aluminum D44's have had a fair amount of problems. I don't want to scare you away from getting one, WJ's are very nice, they ride great and decent vehicles. The newer the year that you find, the better. They were improved on every year since they came out in 99 so the newest ones are alot better. If I were to buy another one, I would look for a laredo with the the 242 and the 4.0 and ,I think it was called the F package, which meant that it came witht he leather seats, infinity sound system, stereo controls on the steering wheel...etc

Back