• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring speaker wires behind dash. How?

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
In trying to wire my RCA cables behind my dash to the back of my deck, but can't find a way to get them back there for the life of me...

Where should I put the cable through? I'm wiring from the battery to a switch on my dash, to an amp under the passenger seat. Is there a secret hole to get back there? Or do I have to drill a hole?

-Jeep450r

In the past what I did was fish the wires down through the dash down towards the gas pedal area. Then tucked it under the carpet and fished it along side the side panel mouldings on the floor to where I had my amp placed.

Why are you wiring it to a switch on your dash?

In the past what I did was fish the wires down through the dash down towards the gas pedal area. Then tucked it under the carpet and fished it along side the side panel mouldings on the floor to where I had my amp placed.

To turn the amp on and off. Unless there's a simple way to connect it to the ignition switch.

There should be a wire on your amp that will connect to a wire on the back of your deck that will turn the power off when your deck is off. I can't remember what it is called (remote wire? I am sure some one knows) but it was an 18 gauge wire that I used. So it is not big.

Also what year jeep? After market deck?

For my amp i spliced into the antenna wire then routed down the dash to under the steering wheel then under then under the carpet its worked great and no wires show.

To turn the amp on and off. Unless there's a simple way to connect it to the ignition switch.

Most aftermarket head units with preamp outputs also have a "Remote" connexion - which is meant to run to a "Remote" connexion on the amp to turn it on and off.

Failing that, wire it through a relay, and trigger the relay off of a "Hot in ACC" lead on the ignition switch - which will allow you to have the amp working with the key in RUN or ACC. (If you don't want the amp available in ACC, use a "Hot in RUN" lead instead.) The relay trip coils won't add enough load to the ignition circuit to be significant, but you can still swith your amp load with it - just make sure the relay is enough to handle the amp (the amplifier probably carries its own fuse, use that as a sizing guide for your relay.)

Yea, remote wire or pwr antenna wire works so the amp's only on when the deck is on. If the amp is for subs, I use a switch instead so I can flip and avoid pissing people off without needing to go through the settings on the unit. With the low rate of actual crime we see around here, the cops are usually bored and I like having the option of quickly bringing my spl below city-ordinance levels. :laugh3:

Last edited:
As others have stated, there is a remote wire turn on...check the back of your HU, search the model # for a wiring diagram so you know which is the remote turn on. Typically it's a blue wire. The back of your HU might have a wiring diagram as well.

All you gotta do is splice into that and have that wire go under your carpet/side mouldings etc to your amp where there is a Remote On terminal that the wire goes to.

With the low rate of actual crime we see around here, the cops are usually bored and I like having the option of quickly bringing my spl below city-ordinance levels. :laugh3:
What kind of crime is there near Cornfield, cow tipping??? :guitar: sorry, couldn't help myself when I saw where you live.:laugh:

I would think it would be easier to wire amp "normally" and just put a switch in-line with the remote turn on. You wouldn't need a heavy duty switch like you would if you were switching the amps main power lead.

What kind of crime is there near Cornfield, cow tipping??? :guitar: sorry, couldn't help myself when I saw where you live.:laugh:

I would think it would be easier to wire amp "normally" and just put a switch in-line with the remote turn on. You wouldn't need a heavy duty switch like you would if you were switching the amps main power lead.

lol, I thought "Cornfield" would be a better way to describe the town than "Not Chicago"... but I've never tipped a cow :D

My switch goes from power to the amp's remote terminal, switching the main power lead does not seem practical as there is so much draw from an amp and we like to use huge wires all the way :)

This! I wired in around 5k worth of high end stereo equipment in my $2,000 jeep. I ran my rcas down towards the drivers floor board area, ran it under the trim to the amp. It was simple easy to get it down there. Run it from the deck hole down, let gravity help. I ran 00 gauge power wire to the capacitor, a 4ch rca, and a set of mono rcas, plus the 9 wire all on the same side with no problem. You don't need a toggle, just more crap to have to deal with, hook up the remote wire and all will be good. It should be labeled if equipment is fairly new.

What year XJ? I just ran RCAs from the deck to under the seat. On my 2000 its a pretty much a straight shot down then I ran them under the center console and under the carpet to the back. I would recommend starting with a coat hanger and finding where that pokes out the dash.

As for power I wouldn't recommend running the main power off a switch. You can drill a hole on the passenger side or driver's side fire wall and run a cable to the back for the main power.

Back