• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring a '97 Grand Cherokee OHC to a '90 Cherokee

What did you connect the yellow wire to?

I put a '97 headliner, dome light and lighted mirrors in my '87. The pink (hot) and black (ground) wires are easy, but that yellow wire seems to have some sort of function related to map lights on/off and courtesy light on/off.

Mark

brendon800 said:
Anyone know if a '93-'95 DISPLAY unit would fit in my '97 OHC? If so, anyone have one for sale? I think it'd be MUCH cheaper, and a lot easier for me to just replace the display rather than the whole console. Thanks again guys.

-Mike-
The displays ARE interchangeable and are of the exact same dimensions.
Sorry to hear that you want to swap it out now, I just mailed off the red pigtail to you.

makmadison said:
What did you connect the yellow wire to?

I put a '97 headliner, dome light and lighted mirrors in my '87. The pink (hot) and black (ground) wires are easy, but that yellow wire seems to have some sort of function related to map lights on/off and courtesy light on/off.

Mark
The 3rd wire (yellow in your case) running to the dome light is the trigger wire that turns in on. It should be hooked up to your door pins.

Last edited:
brendon800 said:
I did my OHC a little different, my map lights don't come on with the doors, but I installed the old dome light over top of the OHC. Anyway, here's a link to how I did mine. I know, it's a little choppy, and seems REALLY rigged, but it works well, and is VERY sturdy.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f167/Pa00GTS/1990 Cherokee/Overhead Console/

-Mike-
Looks like a good compromise.
I too would like to see how you fabbed up the mounting bracket(s).

Here's the crappy deal, if you decide to put the 93-95 ZJ electronics in your console, your maps light will now be able to come on with the doors as well as operate individually or all at once with the headlight switch. So this would mean that the separate dome light wouldn't have been necessary.
Like the 88-96 XJ overhead consoles, the 93-95 ZJ console has a 13 pin electrical connector.

JEEPZZ said:
Looks like a good compromise.
I too would like to see how you fabbed up the mounting bracket(s).

Here's the crappy deal, if you decide to put the 93-95 ZJ electronics in your console, your maps light will now be able to come on with the doors as well as operate individually or all at once with the headlight switch. So this would mean that the separate dome light wouldn't have been necessary.
Like the 88-96 XJ overhead consoles, the 93-95 ZJ console has a 13 pin electrical connector.

The mounting bracket...Hehehe, you know on the right hand side of the instrument cluster where some people have the clock? I used one of those for my bracket. Cut a little here, and there, and VIOLA! That's my mounting bracket. Any other questions about what I did, I'll try my best to explain, and provide any pictures that I can.

So, you wouldn't happen to have a '93-'95 display would ya? I'd really like to have one of them.

Don't forget about the pre91 minivan computer. IIRC they are the same as the 84-96 XJs. As far as the temp sender any Cry. unit should work I cant say anything about the new type though (like in the KJ, or WJ).

brendon800 said:
So, you wouldn't happen to have a '93-'95 display would ya? I'd really like to have one of them.
Nope I don't, but I do have a pair of the 96-98 like yours. :) I don't really know what I'm going to do with them, probably just ebay them in the spring.

I'd really like to see the way you got the mount figured out. The last guy that did one (the first pic I posted) didn't get any pics of his homemade mount and he didn't want to pull it down to photo it due to being a pain in the butt to remove.

scoobyxj said:
Don't forget about the pre91 minivan computer. IIRC they are the same as the 84-96 XJs. As far as the temp sender any Cry. unit should work I cant say anything about the new type though (like in the KJ, or WJ).
The electronic displays are the same but the consoles themselves are different. The 88-96 XJ console attach to a hooked bracket at the rear and with a screw up front (very similiar to the ZJ consoles) but the minivan consoles require 2 mounting brackets which are match contoured to the minivan roofline. Getting these required brackets to work in an XJ would be just about impossible considering that they attach to brittle plastic on the back of the minivan console.
I did find a good 90 XJ console in the bone yard with a missing display and I put a pre91 minivan display in it and it works perfectly.

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
It's yours. PM sent.
Got it yesterday, thanks again man. I now have to re-wire my OHC, 'cause I soldered the wires onto the pins, and it ends up, my compass pretty much NEVER reads North, West, or Northwest. No matter WHAT direction I'm driving, it always reads South, East, or Southeast. Go down my road, South, turn around drive back down...South. So, something's wrong here. Any suggestions? I mean, I'm pretty positive it's resetting itself each time I turn off the key.

brendon800 said:
Got it yesterday, thanks again man. I now have to re-wire my OHC, 'cause I soldered the wires onto the pins, and it ends up, my compass pretty much NEVER reads North, West, or Northwest. No matter WHAT direction I'm driving, it always reads South, East, or Southeast. Go down my road, South, turn around drive back down...South. So, something's wrong here. Any suggestions? I mean, I'm pretty positive it's resetting itself each time I turn off the key.

That sucks. In the manual it says when the battery is disconnected the compass will take a few turns to reset.

Yeah, I've got to figure something out here. I've read that some have a constant to keep everything from resetting, and a switched so the display doesn't stay on the whole time. Maybe I'm using the wrong power wire or something. I'm using a switched live to go to the display, and a constant going to the map lights...I'll move some stuff around, see what I come up with, and re-post when I figure something out that will keep it from resetting.

Back