• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winterfest 2012 was great, but...

The only major things I can think of were the result of my own mistakes. I will have to work on those myself.

The latest trailer was great for the potluck - don't sell it too quickly!

The turkey fryers should be to the side of, or behind, the fire. Nothing happened with them between the fire and the camping area but I have a sneaking feeling that was luck, especially with my not-so-wise (though very funny) decision to put drunk people on stilts. I never expected sideshow to make it that far.

The only major things I can think of were the result of my own mistakes. I will have to work on those myself.

The latest trailer was great for the potluck - don't sell it too quickly!

The turkey fryers should be to the side of, or behind, the fire. Nothing happened with them between the fire and the camping area but I have a sneaking feeling that was luck, especially with my not-so-wise (though very funny) decision to put drunk people on stilts. I never expected sideshow to make it that far.

Yeah, last year I put the fryer between the fire and the fence but didn't even think about it this year until the burners were going and people started showing up. I'll make a mental note for next year

my dog ate my wavier :D

Registration is improving each year.

I agree with better working CB's. Maybe we can have qualified volunteers to Tune CB's at a separate station between Registration and lining up behind the trail leader.

That is all.

BOB

I turned in my waiver so I must be one of "the three" :)

Can't complain about a darn thing (except the weather of course).

I think making it more than a one day event helped a lot with registration and inspections. I came in on Thursday and got all that squared away right off. Maybe more people did that this year. I agree with who ever said earlier that this was the smoothest year yet.

Thanks for the free camping. That was a few bucks off of an already expensive trip. :thumbup:

I can't believe how many bottles of good booze that was passed around the camp fire. I couldn't sample ALL of them but the Captain's special (Josh) was tastey and so was John's home brew :cheers:

Already planning for WF'13!

I guess I'm one of the three, too.

I know I've suggested it before, but a couple packages of these would eliminate VFW hall cleanup http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I also think we should explain the homebrew thing at the hall. I bring it to share with everyone, but many folks are shy about helping themselves. I tried to work my way around the campfire and invite everyone to try it, but between catching up with old friends, sampling various bottles, and people arriving a little later and moving around, I wasn't able to get to everyone.

Not that I mind having leftovers, but I do have 5 others currently on tap so it would have been nice to finish up those two.

John, we probably just want to put a sign on the kegs: "Help yourselves."

Yeah, last year I put the fryer between the fire and the fence but didn't even think about it this year until the burners were going and people started showing up. I'll make a mental note for next year

Those red letters look good on you!

As for what to do at WF, I'm honestly very happy with how smooth things went this year!

I agree with better working CB's. Maybe we can have qualified volunteers to Tune CB's at a separate station between Registration and lining up behind the trail leader.

That is all.

BOB

I tuned 3 on Thursday, actually got all 3 to work decent at that time. Mag mounts are an issue, they need to be clean on the bottom.

Rev

I tuned 3 on Thursday, actually got all 3 to work decent at that time. Mag mounts are an issue, they need to be clean on the bottom.

Rev

Which is a bugger when it keeps getting knocked off :eyes:

I noticed my RX was weaker on Saturday, must be why.

In all honesty, for what we do, a simple front fender Antenna mount, with a light-load spring is all you need... People worry about it whipping around, but with my short antenna, I went Thurs-Sat on green and orange and the antenna never 'whipped' about...

Biggest issue I see is people using mag mounts... On a car going down the highway, thats fine, but for a vehicle going through brush and woods, forget it! Like it was said, you get grit under there and you're pretty much done.

Use something similar to this:
http://www.wearecb.com/store/sagm1-r-right-side-fender-mount-p-2701.html

and one of these so you don't have a big loop of coax hanging out of the rig:
http://www.wearecb.com/store/vanco-ra259x-pl259-right-angle-connector-p-847.html

Done and then once you tune it, you're all set to go!

99SJ 'I could go on for days' Ex

The skip was pretty bad also, that didn't help.

Why don't we just forget his entire "CB Thing" and go FRS/GMRS? You can buy them at Walmart or any truck stop real cheap, they get reasonable range for what we do, and there is absolutely no install to mess up.

This event went great, inproves every year. Registration at the campground was a bit crowded. The free camping was great and I even had a good spot to park. thanks for saving a spot for the big rigs. Can't wait for next year.

Our mag mount antenna gave us no problems at all. Just tune it in and make sure the magnet is clean.

Back