• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wife gave me a 10K budget for the XJ

I appreciate all those who have given me good advice. To the nay Sayers who want to tell me how to spend my money, I will tell you what my momma always told me: Mind ya business. Every time I make a big purchase I take out a personal loan, I use lending tree and typically my rate is around 2.9-3.9%. This loan is 3.29%. I pay them off in 12 months tops and it bumps my credit score up by a couple points each time. I am sorry to those that are just jealous that a bank wouldn't loan them money to buy a 1985 yugo much less a personal loan. I own my own business I have impeccable credit and what I choose to do with my money is my business no matter how bad of an idea you think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly my thought process Royal. If I can wheel and have fun in a 10-12k vehicle then I am all for it. I have an expensive toy but it's built for speed not tearing up off road. I've never seen the value of wheeling and breaking a 50k plus vehicle offroad. But to each their own.

So far I am deciding between a Clayton 5.5 LA or a BDS 4.5 LA. I have a Dana 44 I will truss, gear at 4.56, eaton locker, add chromoly shafts to, my front 30 will get chromoly shafts, 4.56 gears, am eaton locker and truss, sleeves and gussets. I will add full length frame stiffeners, a JCR front winch bumper, a JCR rear tire carrier bumper, and push 33's on my Moab rims. Full underbelly skids, some additional armor here and there, some assorted LED's, and a few other bits and pieces. I am looking into an upgraded transfer case with 4:1 crawl and maybe hydro assist steering. I looked at used rubicon axles but people want like 2k per axle and that seems nuts.

Very nice. I really would prefer Rubi 44's seeing as they are stout and come with disc brakes front and rear and lockers.

Ok so after a lot of looking and researching I have narrowed my lift down to either Clayton coil conversion or TNT customs coil conversion.

With 33s and a mild lift, you don't really need coils in the back. A nice set of leaf springs with slider brackets and good shackles will give you just as much flex and will probably be more stable.

JK Rubicon are all over ebay for $2k per. You also need to change the brackets and perches and such, usually by buying a truss. It may be more than you want to do; I said its what I would do with the money, but my build is heading somewhere different. For regular use, you can build a D30/C8.25 combination for less money and work and it will hold up fine unless you start bouncing 35s on rocks

I am sorry to those that are just jealous that a bank wouldn't loan them money to buy a 1985 yugo much less a personal loan.
im buying a house... the yugo can wait.

Ok so after a lot of looking and researching I have narrowed my lift down to either Clayton coil conversion or TNT customs coil conversion.
to be constructive...

be sure to factor in consumables. tools you dont have, cutting wheels/blades/etc, gas, wire... it adds up. its a significant part of the build ive been doing. i would also opt to save time and money by simply going with a quality set of leafs instead of rear coils. for the tire size you described, its really not needed.

and the first order of business to protect your investment would be stiffeners.

Congrats on the house. I made that life purchase about 5 years ago. I have a pretty well stocked garage with a two post lift and the normal home mechanic tools. Welder, air, plasma cutter, all tools to set up my own gears, and an assortment of other tools.

I have decided to do an LS swap, I found a 6.0L motor with 45k and a 4L65E with wiring harness and Ecu for 1400 delivered to my house.

I have decided to do an LS swap, I found a 6.0L motor with 45k and a 4L65E with wiring harness and Ecu for 1400 delivered to my house.

Good luck with that. Check out my build thread if you need any suggestions on what to do. So you're prepared I've spent about $8k on my swap so far but it can be done for around $4-5k.

Back