• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why I won't be doing any wheeling this year.

Vanimal look for a F250 then they're leaves up front late 70s. No radius arm wedge BS to be concerned about. hahaha, spend more time at the junkyard, and less on the internet. :paperwork
thanks, i was considering those as well, but the 8 lug axles detered me. guess i can swap the knuckles.

This weeks update is short but sweet.

I picked up this little gem:

1714.jpg

1713.jpg

With my 4 link, I am finding that the coilovers basically need to go through the frame rail area to work as I am envisioning. With how you have plated your rails, I guess you are going inside or outside.

Whats the plan?

With my 4 link, I am finding that the coilovers basically need to go through the frame rail area to work as I am envisioning. With how you have plated your rails, I guess you are going inside or outside.

Whats the plan?
I'll be going outside the frame rails and with the 65" wide rear axle I should have enough room. At least that's my plan. I'd hate to have to go back and notch the frame rail now... Is that what you are going to do with yours (notch the frame rail)?

out of curiousity, why would you need to notch the frame? to move the coilover in for tire to spring clearance?
im working on a 3 link for the rear, and i just plan on running the coilovers fairly close to the frame rail on the outside, and through the floor. looks like plenty of room with the stock width axle. i am only running a 2" shock though.

A lot depends on where you are going to place the upper shock mount and how the suspension flexes. If the springs are too close to the frame rail you'll get contact when that side of the suspension is in droop. I know zebaru has a lot of existing cage work in the back of his so he might be limited in where he can place his upper mount.

Looks great Eric. Super jealous of the Atlas!

And if you need a seat at the Sierrafest this summer, let me know. I owe ya!

A lot depends on where you are going to place the upper shock mount and how the suspension flexes. If the springs are too close to the frame rail you'll get contact when that side of the suspension is in droop. I know zebaru has a lot of existing cage work in the back of his so he might be limited in where he can place his upper mount.
ah good point. i ran my axle shock tabs a bit wider so they'll be closer to vertical when drooped out, so hopefully it will be safe.

I'll be going outside the frame rails and with the 65" wide rear axle I should have enough room. At least that's my plan. I'd hate to have to go back and notch the frame rail now... Is that what you are going to do with yours (notch the frame rail)?

My old shocks ran off the top of the leaf spring plate, and I rubbed on them with my 33's and not a ton of backspacing. They also rubbed the frame a tick at full droop. I am going to be narrower than most you guys, and have more up-travel relative to the frame (seven inches up at maybe 3 inches of lift), so that probably gives me some constraints that most lack.

I have already cut mine up, and they are notched deep - basically all the way through the bottom. Of course my rails were plated on the inside, so it was no big deal.

It will be interesting to see how similar/different our links come out when they are all done.

My old shocks ran off the top of the leaf spring plate, and I rubbed on them with my 33's and not a ton of backspacing. They also rubbed the frame a tick at full droop. I am going to be narrower than most you guys, and have more up-travel relative to the frame (seven inches up at maybe 3 inches of lift), so that probably gives me some constraints that most lack.

I have already cut mine up, and they are notched deep - basically all the way through the bottom. Of course my rails were plated on the inside, so it was no big deal.

It will be interesting to see how similar/different our links come out when they are all done.

Just oug of quriosity for your frame on the inside did you make your own plates or were you able to find a company that had them.

Just oug of quriosity for your frame on the inside did you make your own plates or were you able to find a company that had them.

All my frame is done with good ol' angle iron...

Plated on the outside from the control arms to leaf mounts. Plated on the inside from the leaf mounts back. About a foot of overlap in the middle.

I think I need more room for these 37's.

1689.jpg

So I decided to do a little bit of trimming.

1762.jpg

Oh no - I think I cut past the spot welds! What should I do?

1766.jpg

Gutted some more of the innards....

1781.jpg

Back