• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's driving and who's towing their XJ?

Uhhh, you ARE aware that the Rockies run from Canada to Mexico, right?

mike, I thought you were well-traveled!

I know yer trying desperatly to be mr. smarty-farty, but there's a couple easier ways to moab....

I took the "southern route" going home.....

very enjoyable.

but I like how the Michigan boys are making excuses not to run 21.....

Beezil said:

but I like how the Michigan boys are making excuses not to run 21.....

Okay, Scott, we ARE running 21 rd, one way or the other, you can drive your XJ down the mtn, I'll put mine on the trailer so those brakes will work and we'll do it!!!

"the bear went over the mountain, the bear went over the mountain, to see what he could seeeeeee"

"TRYING" to be Mr. Smarty-Farty?

No, I'll cede that crown to the (assuming it doesn't slip off of the shiny surface) to the poster with 1334 replies (at last count).

Beezil wrote:
I took the "southern route" going home....

So just how far south did you run? Monarch is only slightly lower than Loveland Pass. And US160 and Wolf Creek Pass is a still a couple of miles up, so I guess you went through Taos, Santa Fe, or Albuquerque. In any event that means NM, and just one more set up weigh stations that the Michigan bus will have to negotiate (and probably pay overweight fees).

And, yes Scott, Chris did provide that service for me, and that WinterFest was before the 4.10's, LockRite/Auburn upgrade - an improvement even you would have to admit is worthwhile. Which is why I merely suggested that your truck could help the bus negotiate the CO passes. Did you think I was suggesting something else? :D

Couple of weeks, guys.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

160 all the way.

Wolf Creek pass is very friendly.....and extremely scenic.

I cut the corner to 50 in walsenburg using hwy 10....very cool.

never saw a single vehicle on 10 it seemed

B, how many days are you wanting to add onto their trip? :rolleyes:

You'll do fine on Vail Pass, stop sweating it. Take Scott's off, and see what happens. If it's still too much, take your's off too. If you guys are near us on the road, we can all share vehicular driving duties. If your junk will drive straight for more than 2 feet, I can manage it down the pass for you while you drive the bus. Can we give up on the second guessing and itinerary changes now?

Sean

no problem. we're in.

will your dad be infront of me just incase?? how's their rear bumper?

I actually think leaving a jeep on the trailer will help more than pulling it empty, gives the trailer brakes the weight to do more than skid down the mtn.

how many miles is down hill??

who knows the grade going down?? the worst I've done with the bus and 2 jeeps is 12*, and that was w/o trailer brakes

Last edited:
The key to doing Vail Pass is....

to go slow and in the lowest gear. It's not long just steep. I think that the Eisenhower Pass west bound is a bit worse. I tried going down like I would a car and THAT was a mistake. It's going to be 1st all the way this time!

Fore Wheeler said:
Okay, Scott, we ARE running 21 rd, one way or the other, you can drive your XJ down the mtn, I'll put mine on the trailer so those brakes will work and we'll do it!!!

Is that all it takes to get your panties in a bundle?
Remember, if we take Beezils southern route we can stop at Avalanche Ranch and wheel there for a day.

It doesn't matter to me. I can drive my Jeep from Denver to Glenwood Springs if need be. In fact I'd prefer to be in my own Jeep through the canyon.

Mike in NJ said:
"TRYING" to be Mr. Smarty-Farty?

No, I'll cede that crown to the (assuming it doesn't slip off of the shiny surface) to the poster with 1334 replies (at last count).

Beezil wrote:

So just how far south did you run? Monarch is only slightly lower than Loveland Pass. And US160 and Wolf Creek Pass is a still a couple of miles up, so I guess you went through Taos, Santa Fe, or Albuquerque. In any event that means NM, and just one more set up weigh stations that the Michigan bus will have to negotiate (and probably pay overweight fees).

And, yes Scott, Chris did provide that service for me, and that WinterFest was before the 4.10's, LockRite/Auburn upgrade - an improvement even you would have to admit is worthwhile. Which is why I merely suggested that your truck could help the bus negotiate the CO passes. Did you think I was suggesting something else? :D

Couple of weeks, guys.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Monarch Pass is a steeper downhill grade than Vail pass from what I remember. I've never been over Wolf Creek Pass.

That's definatly a great upgrade, but it does nothing for your memory and I don't want to see Dan have to put a black hood on the bus.:D

dunno Scott, I've never been there so I really don't know what I'd be getting into, good or bad. I think we should meet for dinner somewhere in the middle to discuss the details, or at least give us a reason to drink a few beers together. :)

I don't want to put anyone in harms way, especially my new Jeep :D, but there's no reason to be overly worried either.

Route 66

What days are everybody leaving? I think Ill be driving through IL. cuz my funny lil' honey wants to see Route 66.

XJguy

Back