• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who or what inspired you to build your first Jeep?

after watching my buddy beat the shit out of his 91 xj... i decided to trade my boat for one. i traded it for an 89 renix straight across. since then i have had to rebuild the whole damn jeep. i just cant seem to want to part with it.

When I was a tire tech probably 15 years ago one of the guys that I looked up to and trained me in my job drove a 1997 TJ...that's what got me into Jeeps in general...so once I graduated college I got my first one...1979 CJ7...moved onto a 1978 CJ5...then onto a 1997 TJ, then to my 2000 XJ and then the 2005 Grand Cherokee.

Growing up in South Florida I had always been around giant mud trucks and Jeeps. I moved to Pa my sophomore year in high school and found out quick how different the offroad scene is up here. When it was time for me to get my first car I was actually looking for a bronco or bronco II and saw a 93 XJ 4.0 in my price range. That was the summer of 2008 since then I have bought 5 other XJ/MJ's along with a few other DD cars and trucks. I am currently looking for a DD XJ and a project Jeep to play with.

What inspired me was necessity.
I enjoy hiking "14ers" in Colorado, and often the trailhead approach road is 4WD only. Since not having 4WD increases the hike sometimes by as much as 10 miles RT, it became obvious that if I was to climb some of the more remote 14ers, I would need to reduce the distance somehow.:thumbup: Enter lifted Jeep.
It has allowed me to get closer to the trailheads, and do the 14ers in a day hike, instead of packing in, and making it more than a day.
Most notable is Lake Como road, leading to Blanca Peak. By coursing the road, I cut about 10 miles off the distance.

Back