• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who or what do you blame for your Cherokee ADDICTION??

I'm sure you'll find this hard to believe, but my 90 was one of the quietest and most reliable cars I had owned up until that time. And we enjoyed driving it! Got used to the 4wd early on. Then the net happened, and I wanted to find a set of headers for it, and ended up on the forum that gave birth to NAXJA. And before NAXJA was the old XJlist, which started me on trails and mods. I expect I"ll die still owning the 90. I'm stubborn about some things, and I don't give up.

Are you the first owner of said '90? And you stated you "ended up on the forum that gave birth to NAXJA"

I recognize your title and know you have been on this forum for quite some time, but that is just damn impressive. When I acquired my first Jeep, a CJ-7, they were still producing XJ's and I never really wanted to own one. That is, until I spent my first winter freezing my ass off and bouncing all over the place. I have grown to love the XJ for the fully enclosed interior (Though I miss going topless in summer) And for the 4 link/coil front suspension which I know in my mind was designed by AMC engineers way back in the day, keeps me thinking I am still driving a JEEP and not one of the Heaps they are producing these days. :)

Edit: Just noticed, NAXJA member #15! Damn, you my friend, are the epitome of the word HOOKED

Bought the 90 used in 92. My wife liked the lighted mirrors on the visors, I liked that I could break traction shifting into second(it's a stick), and the kid liked the clicker for the power door locks. It was quite expensive in those days.

I am driving an 89 pioneer, used to have those features! Now I have a 98 classic interior. But still, 20 years owning the same XJ is impressive. When did you start modding it and getting into off roading? And when did NAXJA come to life? I recall hearing about this forum ever since I owned my CJ, like back in '02?

I wanted something small and 4-door. Add my preferemce for solid axles in there and choices get limited quickly. That makes it pretty much between an early 4Runner and an XJ.

NAXJA came into being in 99 to acommodate the first Colorado Fest that summer in Ouray. I think the first trail I ran was Medano Pass in 95. Went to camp jeep in 96. I did learn at that camp. Realized 4-lo is the only important part of 4WD for offroading. My first mod probably was super duper back-up light bulbs from JC Whitney. Not too impressive, but there wasn't a whole lot around in those days. :) I've probably tried every fancy spark plug that's come around in the jeep. None with any measurable results. I had add-a-leafs put on in 98 because it was sagging from being overloaded towing a camper and going camping. I think I'm on my 3rd suspension, with plans for the fourth. It could use a new engine, but with no daily driving anymore, it gets by. It's a hobby.

Back