• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which would you buy?

Loren -- TnT and Claytons both make great systems, you wouldn't be disappointed with either. That said (and I have a lot of TnT parts, and buddies with Clayton systems), if I was building from stock, FrankZ's system is absolutely on par from a quality standpoint, and I believe a bit less expensive, plus he's a swell dude and you'll know where he lives ;). None of the systems you're considering make their own springs - TnT and Claytons I believe both use RE speced springs -- Again, if I was going from scratch to the lift I currently have, I'd use BOR Flex-e 4" spring in the back, and I'd find a variable spring rate 4-5" to go with it (and a doglegged shackle)... I haven't been thrilled with the ride of the RE coils I've had in either 3.5" or 4.5" flavor.

I love my Tnt kit but If i had it to do over again i'd go with longarmZ

why the y link?
get a TRUE 4 link or 3 link setup

yes they work well (id argue they work better, especially the 3 link)
yes they are reliable
yes they are safe
---anyone wants to argue those points, look at truggy

and with a 'mid arm' kind of style the braketry for mounts is ompletely independent of crossmember so xmember is still one piece and you can still leave the links attached while dropping trans and tcase...

that drives perfectly fine on the street, to the trail on then trail then home.

You sir need to step away from the pipe. "Perfectly fine" is FAR from what I'd use to describe Truggy's road manners. It was capable of street driving........ but safe..... not in my opinion. If you were to blow a tire at road speeds....... it'd be nothing but one huge yard sale afterwards. I drove it on C470 once....... ONCE. Never again.

But it was fun to take to the auto parts store or the bank or any quick errand within a few miles of home....... That thing scares women and children when the spool drags tires through the parking lots......... :firedevil:

ya well my definiteion of perfectly fine is something that drives where you point it, just cuz it body rolls like a boat doesnt mean its bad at going down the road.
and the statement was made in reference to the suspension links up front, they arent hazardous to anything because of how its set up...i guess i should have phrased that better

i think its funny eveyone here with their horrid luck and the bad situations....
a y-link attached to the xmember, you bend the xmember you move the bottom linkm but oh wait, the upper link is attached to the bottom link, now the whole thing is in jeopardy. do you run a risk of being screwed if your one upper link fails on a 3 link, yes, thats why you carry spares, and one piece of dom or a few heims is a lot easier to carry and replace than an entire ylink setup.

true 4 link or 3 link or dont waste your time

Personally, I'm happy with 4 attachment points at the axle vs. 3.

And I'm happy with my TWO attachment points at the axle vs. 3 or 4 :shocked:

And I'm happy with my TWO attachment points at the axle vs. 3 or 4 :shocked:

Again........ you need to post pics of that unique setup. It comes up time to time and only a select few know WTF you're talking about..... :D

Again........ you need to post pics of that unique setup. It comes up time to time and only a select few know WTF you're talking about..... :D

Someday I'll take some pics -- not that exciting really, just true radius arms...

Mike,

I think most of us with experience with different suspension set ups are just saying - like Frank already has - that a flexy suspension, be it 4 link, 3 link or otherwise is definitely purpose built and if it were a good idea for a daily driver, the auto manufacturers would have already been building suspensions like that a long time ago. "Off Road Use Only" has merit here and no one should misrepresent that. All it takes is one of those heims to fail after hitting an expansion joint on the highway, or a big pot hole or other urban obstacle and the potential for tragedy is exponentially higher due to our wonderful rock crawling modifications.

The black and white of it all is that none of our beloved lifted XJ's is street legal. If the State Legislature ever got serious about enforcement of altered suspension........ we'd all be fawked.

:tears: that would suck... but what would all the guys do with the full size trucks with 6" lifts and 37/38s do? how else would they compensate for something? :laugh3:

I dunno........ How would Mason compensate???? That's a good question.......... :roflmao:

i dunno, i think if youre gonna build it, BUILD IT.
if ya wanna know hows its gonna effect your daily commute, just leave it stock, ya you can build something that is good for daily driving and wheel the fun stuff while still being safe and capable, but who gives a rats ass, go all out and just do the damn thing, get some dents, remove some paint, test the damn thing out.

but thats my mentality/.02, and well, noone really cares lol

I can't speak for Loren (OP), but what you must remember, is there are a lot of us on here that are not really hard core rock guys. 4 link long arms are perfectly fine for a good majority of us, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not going to upgrade for the "flex" aspect, but for the better ride, and suspension geometry. Just my .02

Last edited:
I guess I can add to this thread there Loren. ;)

I have a unique perspective to this whole subject. My previous Jeep, a CJ-7 was a huge platform for experimenting for over 8 years and a variety of different suspensions on it; bolt on lifted leaf springs, Spring over axle, coil overs with radius long arms, coil overs with 3-link, and back to SOA.

Then there is from 2000 to 2002 myself with four other partners had our own fab shop building off road play toys. We played with a LOT of designs and theories……….

I neither bash or 100% say any system is “perfect”, they all have their quirks, it is whatever is closest to what you value the most out of your setup.

Radius arm style: pretty much what 95% of the aftermarket long arm kits and home boy fab jobs are doing. (TNT, Frank Z's, Clayton, etc) I did this in 2001 on my CJ-7 with Racerunner coil-overs, modeled at the time after FORD’s radius arms on their older trucks. (Although Rubicon Express was playing with their TJ long arm kit at the time.) What I found is you have to have the right combination of bushings and joints as the design will bind. When I first played with it I had less flex than with my Spring over axle setup with ALCAN leaf springs. The bushings/bind was preventing the total flex from happening. At first I played with bushing and found some nice soft durometer bushings. Helped with flex but the street manners then became quirky. My final solution was to do what the “quicker” disconnect did for sway bars. I made one of the upper links removable and went back to harder bushings. On the street drove like a champ but off-road MAD flex!

Iron Rock’s Long arm runs the same theory. One side only being the upper control for the axle position. My concern with their design, the stress that one arm gets for holding the axle in position being solid welded to the arm. Even FORD’s Radius arm design had bushing between the wedges and clamp to “give” a little.

For no reason other than experimenting, switching and playing with designs I went to a 3 link much like Rock Krawlers kit is. I found the opposite from radius arms. The bushings had to be really solid, so I used rod ends on both ends of the three links. For the most part drove great, little squirrely a high speeds but at the time it was not my DD.

The last year of my CJ-7 I was driving every day, I went back to SOA with ALCAN leafs, very stable platform. All around great performer which is where my theory is now with my XJ.

It is up to you Loren to decide what you want to do with you Jeep. Why do people upgrade to Long Arms in the first place? Two main reasons; large lift and now the short arms are at such an angle that the ride and control is horrible.

Second; Mad flex Yo!

When I set out to build out my XJ I went opposite of what I did to my CJ. I wanted an Expedition vehicle, middle ground all around. My goals low center of gravity with the biggest tire possible with cutting and bump stops. I figured out how to stuff 33’s on a 4.5” lift, Lots of armor and stayed mostly stock with the arms other than flex joints. It drives great to me, and fills my need offroad.

If I was to do a long arm conversion I think I would go with a four link this time. BDS makes one and Raptor/Ira runs it, but I am curious about Poly Performance’s 4 link kit.

I disagree with Frank, I want a modular setup, I do not want to have to drop my front suspension to get to my drivetrain. I am trying to figure out why he thinks it would be a disaster in the making? BTW TNT's new Y-link edition is suppose to be modular as well.................

Last edited:
I checked out the new TnT setup at COfest, including the modular rear coil system -- nice. The front crossmember, tcase skid and rear crossmember all bolt to each other, but each can be removed individually. While I love my TnT skid and have drug it over all sorts of crap, and landed on it fairly hard, it is a PITA when you have to get to the tcase/tranney-- but really, how often do you do that (unless your me)??

Back