• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which synthetic gear oil

which synthetic gear lube?

• redline

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • mobil 1

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • amsoil

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • valvoline

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • other - please specify

Votes: 19 15.1%

• Total voters
I've got penzoil 75w140 in my diffs right now... because I got it for free. :) I also have a part of a pail of 75w90 penzoil in my garage, I gave some to my cousin and used some for my front end break in period.

I don't know about with an ARB, (probably won't really matter) but 75w140 really quieted down my axles with lockrights.

Jeffro600 said:
CAll me crazy, but ive use plain ol' non synthetic gear oil for years and never had any problems...am i missing something here?? :wierd:
i use synthetic just because my manual calls for it when towing...any type of hard use deserves a cheap piece of mind

treedoc said:
i have started using synthetic in my block (175K), but synthetic in the diffs is a bit of a headscratcher for me. so little heat and stress involved. of course i am running stock equip. 90% highway. maybe if i had a ton of cash in a locker and gears bashing over rocks i might see it differently.
So little heat?? Did I hear your right? Little heat? Diffs can reach temperatures over 200 degrees.

So little stress?? Then why to people strip gears and break axles?

Your diff will have higher temps on the highway and on acceleration reach pressures of over 1 ton per square inch.

Yes, when wheelin' the stress factor will accelerate to the breaking point, but typically the temps don't get as high. Usually, the only time temps go up is if the driver is thrashing the drivetrain.

I use Amsoil 75w90 Severe Gear. Used it for the break-in period too.

--Matt

Mobil one.. started using it about a year ago and so far I like it.

synthetics are better than regular oil, period. but only you can decide what to use, 'cause everyone has a different opinion on when to use them, worth the cost ,etc.

flexjay87 said:
synthetics are better than regular oil, period. but only you can decide what to use, 'cause everyone has a different opinion on when to use them, worth the cost ,etc.

Why they are better, helps to save gas or the axles get better prtection

Amsoil is the only oil Ill run. in my drivetrain. At 11 bucks a qt. for server gear, you cant go wrong. The shock load strenght is amazing, plus some of there gear oil is more then compatable with 10% water. Amsoil is the only oil ill run. Id rather change it out once and not stress about protection, plus if your putting in cheap priced oil, you got to think whats in it. if your draining cheap stuff alot do the math its about the same to run good stuff once.

may be old info but amsoil and mobile one are the only two i know of that use 100% synthetic base stock to make there syn's all other use highly modified (good quality) dino base stock. also try to keep the numbers in the oil as close together as you can like 80w-90 as the wider the multiviscosity range gets the more polimers must be added to make up for this thus reducing the acutal "slippery stuff" oil. all this syn/dino stuff is kinda mute anyway because in high contamination situations such as our diff's see it should be checked and changed much sooner than even a dino oil's life requires.

flexjay87 said:
synthetics are better than regular oil, period.

Quite funny, got any proof how "synthetics are better than regular oil, PERIOD."

There are apps when dino is better than synthetic, such as engine break in (which I'd run it until atleast 8k), and as far as the semi synthetics go i'd steer as far clear of them as you can - they're more a marketing scam than anything, not to mention promote sludge build up

Back