• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which rock rails?

i have the rusty's RR22s. i am extremely happy with the look and the protection. they fit very tight to the rockers, so take away very little clearance. like most other products, they are anchored to the frame with 2 brackets per side with 4 bolts per bracket. where i believe Rusty's to be superior is that they have 9 bolts per side on the pinch welds. this allows trail impacts to be more evenly distributed along the rockers, hence minimizing damage.

Rocky Road Outfitters make nice ones that have the angle up tube. It seems like I'd drag mine a lot more if the tube was straight out. It might work better as a step though. If you step up onto your rails to climb in, then it feels like you're sliding into a Ferrari.

Let's see if I have a pic of mine...

Calvin2006_1003030.jpg

before they went on.

2006_0512005.jpg

rammie said:
So does everyone like the extended out tube (like a SuperRail or Stage 2) over the lower profile sliders that dont stick out? Im trying to decide which way to go. Pros and cons to each design?
a pro for the flat ones (Rusty's): they have a look that seamlessly integrates with the look of the XJ. they appear to be part of the body of the jeep:
jonnywong said:

Anyone have any feedback on the T&T Customs rock rails? They look pretty good to me, wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them.

I have the RigidCo ones and really like them. They fit tight against the body and I like the fact that that they dont stick out as far as ones like JCR and AJ's. The price was really good at $200.

Another vote for the quality of the JCR sliders, I was smashing on them a week and a half ago and the only damage besides paint was 2 small dents due to teeter tottering on two sharp rocks, supporting the whole weight of the jeep

I've got the same one's but had him custom cut the lenghts to fit the lines after the fender trimming I've done. They come bare metal and need to be cleaned and painted to your choice, on mine I coated in self etching primer, then flat black, then cheapo walmart bed coating spray on top half of tubes to give more grip when being used as a step.

Custom 4x4 Fabrication.
I cannot say enough good things about them.
Sporting a 2" lift and running with rigs sitting on larger tires and 2.5" or more lift sure lets me use them often, and hard. I litterally use them on purpose.
I've attached a picture of one such situation and would like to describe it...
4' high rock ledge, angled into a V shape... had to approach at an angle just to get the tow hooks out of the way to get the front wheels up on top of the legde... at that point, the rails are certain to make contact... my first lunge at it left the Jeep ballanced on just the rails, guys bounced the front of the rig untill I could reverse just enough to get another run at it... generous rpm, clutch drop and the Jeep lunged again, this time hard enough to smash the v-notch, slid along enough for the rear tires to make contact, and up and over I continued.
I've had the rig balance on one many times, came down har on them several times, but to litterally ram the vehicle into the v-notch, take the impact loading, slide the entire rig, and they are staight as an arrow...
Again, cannot say enough good things.
Balanced on the rails after first lunge...
http://members.cox.net/huddy31/v-notch2.jpg
and, carring on...
http://members.cox.net/huddy31/notch3.jpg

For anyone who is interested in Rock Lizard sliders, Marty has recently indicated that he could probably be talked into making some more, if one so desired, and was patient about the delivery time.

These are, IMHO, the absolute strongest sliders out there. Not that others are bad, or would not hold up, but if you can have the best, why not do it?

FordGuy said:
Nothing from AJ's comes painted. I am sure it would be hammered by the time UPS delivered it. It it so worth powder-coating them.

Powder coat is just extra expense, it's going to scrape right off. I prefer Rustoleum's Hammer finish in black. Of course, my XJ's not as pretty and unmolested as yours. :)

Yeah, AJ's rails work great, and the price is right. Ton of the socal guys run them.

One thing to look at on rock rails, is that the square tube is UNDER the rocker, not out past them. If it's out past them, then the rail acts as a lever and drives the mounts into the rocker still denting your rocker. AJ's are tucked under the rocker.

Last edited:
The install was very straight forward. They fit great. They come unfinished.I painted mine.

ratcat said:
I'm getting the JCR's wish I would have had them before last weekend's trip.

235032.jpg

I dented my rockers yesterday while my AJ's Super Rails were tucked safely in my storage building awaiting installation.

x354 on AJ's rails...

:thumbup: AJs. I took my set off my last xj when it died:hang: and now I'm thinking about modifying them to fit my beater Exploder:wierd: . I like small lifts so good sliders and skidplates are a must.

Back