• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which mt bike should i go with!?

Probably. But I still got more money than I paid for it two years ago. So I'm cool with that. :D

100_3744.jpg

I wish I could remember where I bought this one. Some on-line place out of Texas. All the best Tiawan had to offer.
$900 I think. But they seemed to have good values under 500.
Very light weight @22lbs.
I like(d) to climb...

Which bike should you buy? Easy - the one that fits you best.
Oversimplified yes - but they are not all the same so don't just shop by components or price. Try to ride, or at least sit on, as many bikes in your size as you can and see how they feel. A good shop is invaluable here. Check the local shops out and buy where you feel comfortable shopping.

$500 is very much entry level and so the bikes in that range are all going to be very similarly spec'd.
The frame and all the parts will be heavier than on more expensive models. Any susupension fork you find at this price will be heavy and very simple. Likewise disc brakes will be heavy mechanical (not hydraulic) models.
As someone else suggested I think Giant gives you the most bike for the buck at the lower end. They are also the largest manufacturer in the world, so many of the other brands will be built in their factory as well. That gives them tremendous buying power and so they can afford to put a little "extra" on their own bikes.

Buying used can offer bargains, but you really need to know what you want/need and what you are looking at. I can't recomment that for a newbie.
You are also shopping at a bit of a bad time since the new season is just getting underway and shops will be reluctant to discount. If you can find a shop that has some of last year's models left over, you are likely to get a good deal on one of those.

1) Find out what brands the local shops carry.
2) research those brands online
3) spend some time shopping but don't get rushed into a purchase at the first shop
4) don't forget you'll also need a helmet and it's a good idea to carry a spare tube/patch kit/pump and know how to use them

A good fitting entry level bike will help you enjoy the sport and learn and in a year or two or three you'll be ready to upgrade and have a better idea of where you want to upgrade. A bike that doesn't fit or a used one that needs constant maintenance/repair will not be a bargain no matter how good a deal it was.

PM me if you have specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Good luck and let us know what you get!

Which bike should you buy? Easy - the one that fits you best.
Oversimplified yes - but they are not all the same so don't just shop by components or price. Try to ride, or at least sit on, as many bikes in your size as you can and see how they feel. A good shop is invaluable here. Check the local shops out and buy where you feel comfortable shopping.

$500 is very much entry level and so the bikes in that range are all going to be very similarly spec'd.
The frame and all the parts will be heavier than on more expensive models. Any susupension fork you find at this price will be heavy and very simple. Likewise disc brakes will be heavy mechanical (not hydraulic) models.
As someone else suggested I think Giant gives you the most bike for the buck at the lower end. They are also the largest manufacturer in the world, so many of the other brands will be built in their factory as well. That gives them tremendous buying power and so they can afford to put a little "extra" on their own bikes.

Buying used can offer bargains, but you really need to know what you want/need and what you are looking at. I can't recomment that for a newbie.
You are also shopping at a bit of a bad time since the new season is just getting underway and shops will be reluctant to discount. If you can find a shop that has some of last year's models left over, you are likely to get a good deal on one of those.

1) Find out what brands the local shops carry.
2) research those brands online
3) spend some time shopping but don't get rushed into a purchase at the first shop
4) don't forget you'll also need a helmet and it's a good idea to carry a spare tube/patch kit/pump and know how to use them

A good fitting entry level bike will help you enjoy the sport and learn and in a year or two or three you'll be ready to upgrade and have a better idea of where you want to upgrade. A bike that doesn't fit or a used one that needs constant maintenance/repair will not be a bargain no matter how good a deal it was.

PM me if you have specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Good luck and let us know what you get!
X2 Well Said

im not new i just want something possibly better than this =/, its heavy i think the shocks are just springs so its almost too soft and the rims are single walled that came not trued from the factory, should i just upgrade this one with double walled wheels? does this bike have any sort of potential. the gears are shimano tourney with an sis index (whatever that is)
IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

That mongoose is a dept. store bike and not worth putting any money into. If you can get a couple bucks for it on Craigslist, that's what I'd recommend.

From the list in your original post, and just looking at specs, I'd say the Specialized Hardrock Sport looks to be the best bike at $500 MSRP compared with the Trek 4300 ($480) and the GT Avalanche 3.0 ($520). Disc brakes are going to add ~$80 to each of those. They will be mechanical discs which are heavier than V-brakes, but that's your call.

Is there a Performance bike store near you? The best "deal" I found was a 08 GT Avalanche 2.0 at Performance for $430 (list price was $630).

But again - going back to my original post - if it doesn't fit you, it's not a bargain. The frame probably hasn't changed much from last year so you might be able to get a sense of fit if you can try a 09 model. Then it's up to you as to whether you feel comfortable buying a bike mail order. It would require assembly and adjustment and most bike shops will not be too happy to work on a bike you bought online. If there's a Perf store nearby, you can have it shipped there and they'll assemble it.

Hope this helps.

i think i finally found the bike i want to buy, its the giant boulder SE, it seems pretty light, it just seems legit all the way around, i'll take it for a test drive on it possibly tomorrow their open from 11-4, things i may change eventually as my bike riding expierence grows will be from a suspension fork to a travel fork and upgrade to double or triple wall rims, and the bike shop guy said he would reccomend switching to aluminum pedals cuz they spin easier than the stock plastic pedals. what do you guys think about my choice?

i just got home from riding some fun trails around the metroparks on my specialized P.2. i got it in 04-05 when i was in high school. its a short frame, my only mods have been an E-thirteen bash guard and i picked up some other wheels for street tires for when i want to do some urban stuff, and fitted some 3 inch fattys on my original tires for the trails/dirt jumping

so i just bought 2 giants the boulder and the boulder SE, the se is mine =) longer travel suspension 100 vs 80 and double wall wheels and all aluminum frame which makes it a touch lighter, i cant wait to upgrade the front shocks to something better, but i got mine for 390 and my girls for 330. so not too bad i think. i'll post pics later after i sit down for a little bit lol, we rode for our first day prolly close to 21.5 miles round trip =) ( did a mapquest route lol )

Last edited:
Looking at mention of bike racks above, I just wanted to point out that some hitch mount racks, such as the Mopar I use, come with a telescoping bar that clamps between the seat tube and stem riser to make a substitute top tube, so that you can hang odd framed (or women's frame) bikes on them.

For many many years, I've carried my bikes on the roof, but a friend who works at a very lah-di-dah town dump in Connecticut handed me a complete, never-used, Mopar receiver hitch rack, complete with the aforementioned bar, locking cables, etc. that someone had dropped off. I've been using that, and it's a whole lot nicer than a roof rack as long as you don't need the hitch for anything else, and don't mind the compromised hatch access.

post script: Wow, I just checked on the price for one of these things. Amazing! I owe my dump friend a case of beer or something! Not only that, but the top bar adapter is an extra 54 buck option!

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_...r-Hitch-Mount-Bicycle-Carrier-P8685C2254.aspx

heres how i ended up mounting them... really easy to do and a very tight fit =)
IMG_0587.jpg

lifted the seats so the rears dont bounce up and down and limits side to side movement
IMG_0589.jpg

even pushed all the way back as far as i could get them, this was a REALLY TIGHT FIT... the hatch shuts fine w/o any binding or touching issues but its very very tight in there lol
IMG_0590.jpg

the bikes
hers
IMG_0585.jpg

mine
IMG_0586.jpg

Back