• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount the spare

Where should the Spare be mounted?

• On the Roof

Votes: 162 35.9%
  • On the back

Votes: 218 48.3%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 71 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: rear tire

tireroastin93XJ said:
Do you have pix of it? I've never seen one on an upcountry model.
Mike Harris
I have one I need to get rid of, it mounts on the factory bumper and latches to a pin that is mounted to the hatch.

tireroastin93XJ said:
Do you have pix of it? I've never seen one on an upcountry model.
Mike Harris

It would not be an upcountry but something else... IIRC the tire racks were not seen in the newer models...

XJeffro said:
On the roof. The surco rack holds it real nice, plus i have a homebrew spare tire rack holder (for lack of a better word). i bought an aluminum threshold and some carriage bolts (painted with rust-oleum). used some plastic spacers and it hold like a champ...no rattles.

as for getting it up there...i never had the problem of lifting a 31" onto the roof. being 6' 6" kinda helps too... i dont even have to stand on the jeep. (heh heh).

I too have a Surco roof rack. I only have 30's. I carry my spare on the roof rack. I hold it down simply with two 15" metal hose clamps. (like the ones that hold your radiator hoses). It works great. Never loosened up on me yet. It might be a bit of trouble to take it down. But, hopefully, it won't be often. Much cheaper than the hold down kits they sell in the mags.

Kejtar said:
It would not be an upcountry but something else... IIRC the tire racks were not seen in the newer models...

The factory rear tire racks were optional on any of the models until ~1990 (with dealer installed models after that until 95).

It is hinged at the end of the rear bumper and at a bracket off the side of the rear quarter panel, and it is pinned (latched) to a bracket in the rear bumper. It does not latch to the hatch (although there is a bumper/snubber on the hatch in factory installations).

The hinges will fail unless you add a washer to prevent the socket from falling out (a cheap 10c fix). With the carrier modified with washers in the hinges, and extended lug bolts, it will carry a 33x12.5 on an 8 inch rim with ease (mine does). The rivets in the factory mounts should be inspected, and replaced with grade 8 bolts or screws if suspect.

The 33 takes up a bit of rear window, but I can still see out the sides and over the top of the tire. In the trade off between ground clearance and window clearance it a good compromise.

I have pictures of the modification on my old web page #4, but cannot post a link.

Ed A. Stevens said:
I have pictures of the modification on my old web page #4, but cannot post a link.
Why not? The reason I ask is that I often refer newbies to your old site for good solid information. Is there a problem with doing this?

red87cherokee said:
Why not? The reason I ask is that I often refer newbies to your old site for good solid information. Is there a problem with doing this?

No problem, other than I did not have the link handy ...

XJHelp #4

The tire rack is shown in the photos.

MudDawg said:
Here's what I did...I'm old (50)...short...and have no interest in lifting a 12.5 x 33 onto the roof rack...I never carry more than one passenger...so I took out the back seat, built a rack from 1" 11 gauge sq. tube...the tire fits under the rack...easily slides in and out...used expanded metal for the top of the rack...out of line of sight for the rear window...in the area where the rear seat base was...hinged storage/mount for hilift, etc.

Great minds...
This is exactly how I am planning on carrying a 36 inside. I'm losing the back seat also and decking it across for my dogs. I will leave access to the foot wells.

When I am not wheeling I often have more than one passenger, and also often use the entire cargo area. So leaving the spare on the floor when not wheeling was not an option. The lift, SYE, axle swap, etc. have cleaned out my checking account so a swing away is not a reasonable option right now.

I am using a couple of racheting tie-down straps to hold it tight on the factory roof rack. I can slightly feel it on the road when cornering so I already know that I will not want it up there on the trail. However, it is fine on the road. I don't usually have passengers when wheeling so I will take it down and throw it in the back when I am on the trail.

I am, to put it politely, not physically strong but I had no problem getting a 32x11.5 tire up on my roof. I don't think it will be a problem to switch it back and forth from the roof.

-Brian

Ed A. Stevens said:
No problem, other than I did not have the link handy ...

XJHelp #4

The tire rack is shown in the photos.

Hey Ed, I tried that link last nite and again today and I get pictures on top of text. Anybody else see this or is it internal to my PC? Thx-RJ

rj454 said:
Hey Ed, I tried that link last nite and again today and I get pictures on top of text. Anybody else see this or is it internal to my PC? Thx-RJ
Works for me.... which browser are you using??

rj454 said:
Interesting. I've looked at these pages several times over the years, and this is the first time it has done this. I'm having the same problem, with pictures overlapping and some text hidden by the pictures. Incidently I'm using MSIE 6.0

Dale

I have York OBA and a plug kit. If that doesn't get me going, then I am done.

I'm using IE6 as well...
:badpc:

I say the bumper, because even though I'm tall, I'm not strong enuf to manhandle a tire on and off my roof rack anytime something happens. Besides, who wants black streaks up and down the side of their Jeep?

Kristen

I have it on the roof now. It has been up there for so long I guess I am used to it. I don’t even know its up there any more. I have to watch that though with parking garages. It been up there almost as long as I own the Jeep and I can count on one had how many times I have had to take it on and off. If you can’t pick up your spare then I guess the roof is not a good place for you. I am going to work on a rear swing away though to get it off the roof. Mostly because I am getting sick of the way it looks up there. If I did not carry so much crap all the time I would throw it in the back and call it a day though. That might still be an idea.

I didnt say I wasnt strong enough, I simply said that I dont want to have to manhandle a tire up and down off a roof rack anytime something happens. Sure, you can put it up there when ya want, but running around town, people tend to steal things that arent locked. Especially on military bases parked in the barracks parking lot!

ladywolf said:
I didnt say I wasnt strong enough, I simply said that I dont want to have to manhandle a tire up and down off a roof rack anytime something happens. Sure, you can put it up there when ya want, but running around town, people tend to steal things that arent locked. Especially on military bases parked in the barracks parking lot!

This is what you said before.

" because even though I'm tall, I'm not strong enuf to manhandle a tire on and off my roof rack anytime something happens. "

Unless I am reading it wrong you stated y ou are NOT strong enuf.

xjhm said:
will a 31-10.50 fit in the back in the factory location?........oh yeah its going in a `99 classic with the speakers on the roof..........if so that is where mine will be

Sure will, thats what Im doing now, it ,leans a little, and you wont get as many turns on the center nut that holds it in there, but it fits and is not a view obstruction, but it still takes up some extra room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back