• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get an OEM fan clutch?

X2 on part number and price. Man does it blow, on trails nice and cool

I live in Phoenix and did this upgrade Saturday. If it wasn't for my shroud cracking and having to run to the JY it would have taken about 15 min to complete. The difference is amazing. I finished around noon and it was about 107. I let it idle for 20 min and the electric fan never kicked in. I had pretty much replaced everything up until now and still had issues cooling the beast in the summer. The 3-core helped as did the tranny cooler and not running hot tranny fluid through the radiator. I could never idle in the summer without the electric fan kicking in. It's not that much noisier and I didn't notice any loss of power driving around town with my A/C on and the needle comfortably on 210.

If you live where it's hot, this is a good upgrade to the under engineered cooling system. If you live in cooler climates and have cooling problems I doubt this is your fix.

I live in Phoenix and did this upgrade Saturday. If it wasn't for my shroud cracking and having to run to the JY it would have taken about 15 min to complete. The difference is amazing. I finished around noon and it was about 107. I let it idle for 20 min and the electric fan never kicked in. I had pretty much replaced everything up until now and still had issues cooling the beast in the summer. The 3-core helped as did the tranny cooler and not running hot tranny fluid through the radiator. I could never idle in the summer without the electric fan kicking in. It's not that much noisier and I didn't notice any loss of power driving around town with my A/C on and the needle comfortably on 210.

If you live where it's hot, this is a good upgrade to the under engineered cooling system. If you live in cooler climates and have cooling problems I doubt this is your fix.

Was there any clearance issues with the 3-core? Does the fan clutch sit any closer to the radiator than the one you took off?

Edit:
Serves me right for not reading the first page before adding a reply... They are the same width just different diameter.

I just put the zj f/c on mine on friday. On a flat highway with normal temps, no difference noticed between it and the normal f/c, but as I started to climb the hill (us287 to conifer, co) and the coolant temp started to rise I could hear it start in and then really lock in. It did rob HP, but it kept it's cool much better than the stock. I'm impressed and can't wait to see how it does on trail.

Last edited:
Could i ask one of you to check the bolt pattern on those clucthes?
I have e diesel XJ so i'm not sure if the fan will bolt up from a gasser...

Fan Clutch Bolt Circle Diameter : 1.39"
Fan Clutch Fan Mount Diameter : 2.62"
Fan Clutch Fan Mount Height : 2.25"
Fan Clutch Height : 3.24"
Fan Clutch Overall Diameter : 7.23"
Fan Clutch Pilot Diameter : .63"
Fan Clutch Rotation : Counterclockwise
Fan Clutch Style : 7" Heavy Duty
Fan Clutch Type : Thermal

I'm heading north camping and will make about a 5000 foot climb over about 100 miles fully loaded with kids and camping gear. Starting at around 105 and not cooling off much til the end I'm looking forward to NOT having problems. I overflowed my tranny once up that hill. Now I have a cooler and a gauge so have removed that variable from the cooling system. No doubt I'll have to shut down the A/C but I'll run it til I have to shut it down. This will be the first real test of the cooling system since I put the tranny cooler in last fall.

I'm heading north camping and will make about a 5000 foot climb over about 100 miles fully loaded with kids and camping gear. Starting at around 105 and not cooling off much til the end I'm looking forward to NOT having problems. I overflowed my tranny once up that hill. Now I have a cooler and a gauge so have removed that variable from the cooling system. No doubt I'll have to shut down the A/C but I'll run it til I have to shut it down. This will be the first real test of the cooling system since I put the tranny cooler in last fall.

When you put in the tranny cooler did you bypass the radiator?

I did a lot of reading on the topic and the consensus seemed to be that the cooling benefits in the summer outweighed the early warming benefits in the winter. Our winters here in Phoenix rarely see 35 over night but it was 112 last Thursday when I went up north to go camping in the 80 degree mountains. With the A/C off the coolant temp was fine during the climb and the tranny sat around 200. Biggest difference I see with the ZJ fan clutch is the temp corrects faster after a climb if the temp creeps it gets back down much faster when the load drops.

Not the Max Cooling--it won't fit.

The HD ZJ fan clutch NAPA 272310, $62, has a larger diameter but is the EXACT same depth as the stock fan clutch.

My 27310 was bigger(thicker) than the stock one I removed. It looked exactly like this comparison. It still fit but they are certainly not the exact same size from my experience.

just to note, the napa 272310 fan clutch is dimensionally exactly the same as the hayden fan clutch i removed. i will report back with results in a few days

My 27310 was bigger(thicker) than the stock one I removed. It looked exactly like this comparison. It still fit but they are certainly not the exact same size from my experience.

When I converted mine I measured the depth--they were exactly the same. The fan clutch I was replacing was the factory original. I laid a flat edge across the top and measured to the work bench top. It is very clear in your picture that yours are different--do you know if the one you were replacing was OEM? And the NAPA part number should be 272310, so did you use a NAPA or other brand? 27310 just a typo?

I have a ZJ clutch in my basement from NAPA. Looks exactly like that one on the left. Still have the box and its the same part number too and says "heavy duty" on the front of it. It appears to be about the same thickness, but considerably bigger in diameter.

It WILL fit easy swap, but my bolt holes were a different size only prob I had on my 89 5 5spd, and it sounds awesome.

It WILL fit easy swap, but my bolt holes were a different size only prob I had on my 89 5 5spd, and it sounds awesome.

haha yeah the ZJ clutch sounds like a jet. Mine got a tad bit annoying though after awhile.

When I converted mine I measured the depth--they were exactly the same. The fan clutch I was replacing was the factory original. I laid a flat edge across the top and measured to the work bench top. It is very clear in your picture that yours are different--do you know if the one you were replacing was OEM? And the NAPA part number should be 272310, so did you use a NAPA or other brand? 27310 just a typo?

Mine was a 272310, not sure how I skipped a number ha.

The picture above is not my picture, but it shows the height difference that I had. My old clutch I can't confirm to be original but it sure looks like it was. It has no part numbers on it so it very well maybe an aftermarket one.

Everything still fit fine(aside from having to tilt the radiator to make room to clear the mounting studs. There is plenty of clearance between the fan clutch and my 3 core radiator.

Last edited:
Back