• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I buy XJ starter motor brush kit ?

Matt89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I buy XJ starter motor brush kit ?

Nonbody seems to cary them any more.
Does anyone know where I can buy one ?

Matt89XJ

Find a starter/alternator shop or an auto electrician in your area. They should be able to help

The rebuild shop I used to work for might be willing to ship you the parts if you really want to do it yourself and you don't have access to a local rebuilder. They usually don't sell just parts alone, but they are always willing to help whenever they can. You can reach them at 865-777-0716.

seanR said:
As cheap as a rebuilt starter is and as such a PITA to replace one, why would you monkey around doing that, just go to NAPA and get a rebuild!

If the rest of the XJ was built as well as this starter we would all have
several million miles on the rigs, these are made of hiqual parts !

But really, to swap out the brush pack is trivial, two screws on the cap and two that hold the brush pack in place and that is it. Just seems a waste to toss something that is so easy to fix.

No luck here so far in finding a supplier though.

As cheap as a rebuilt starter is and as such a PITA to replace one, why would you monkey around doing that, just go to NAPA and get a rebuild!
I beg to differ. Last time I had to get a rebuilt starter it was not very cheap. I would count starter replacement as a pretty trivial job, and if you have the time and parts to do it, fixing your own seems a good alternative. It's also usually cheaper, if you can do it, to take it to a local shop and have it done there. You'll know what you're getting and who is standing behind it.

Lifetime O'Rielly starter was 36 bucks, can be swapped in minutes, even if it does dies soon..you can do the hammer whack for at least a few starts when it does s**t the bed..

Lifetime O'Rielly starter was 36 bucks, can be swapped in minutes, even if it does dies soon..you can do the hammer whack for at least a few starts when it does s**t the bed..
Good deal there. A few years ago when my stepson's starter (93xj) conked out away from home, I had to get one at some auto parts store, perhaps NAPA, I don't now remember, and I think it was up around 120 bucks. Must've used gold wire or something.

The newer starters are gear reduction units and they cost a lot more.

The newer starters are gear reduction units and they cost a lot more.
I think all 4.0 starters are gear reduction. I suppose if DrexelSpivey's starter was a generic GM for the 2.8, that price makes sense. Last time I got one for my Chevy truck it was 20 bucks after the core. If you paid any less, the rebuilders would do better to send them to china as scrap.

I think all 4.0 starters are gear reduction. I suppose if DrexelSpivey's starter was a generic GM for the 2.8, that price makes sense. Last time I got one for my Chevy truck it was 20 bucks after the core. If you paid any less, the rebuilders would do better to send them to china as scrap.

It was a 4.0, 36 after core; not Chinese crap, Mexican crap. But Lifetime guarantee, and having an O Reilly a block from the house and another one over the wall from work, I can risk it..at least until I get it nice enough to justify a Mean Green..

<shrug> Sometimes it makes sense to spend a little manual effort. I still have the original starter on my XJ, I probably should look at replacing the brushes.

On my 99 CTD, I've spent about $80 on replacement solenoid contacts and brush plates. A replacement starter (brand new, with larger solenoid contacts) is around $480 plus S&H.

Back