• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's your thoughts on tires

poppa willie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to XJ's and learning thanks to you all. I'm going to look at a 99 sport that currently has a 3" lift. Seller says it will need new tires. What's your thoughts on tires? Will be DD, a little trail riding primarily to watch and take pictures. What size would work on the XJ with a 3" lift, 31's, 32's?

All depends on how much trimming and bumpstopping you want to do. 31" AT's would do you well. They will behave on the road, and when you do wheel, just air down and learn to pick good lines.

I have a 4.5" lift and I think that I am going to stick with 31's My fenders are trimmed as well. Just looks like there is plenty of room to flex with the smaller tires.

Tire size doesn't affect flex does it? Suspension affects flex. You still get the same amount of droop no matter what size tire you run. I hear this from a ton of people. They have a mild lift but don't want a bigger tire size because it will affect their articulation. This simply isn't true.

Whatever size you decide on (which is a never ending debate so i wont go into) i'd check out www.treadwright.com. Do a search here or on some of the other major jeep site and you'll be happy with what people are saying. I'm planning on running some when i'm in need of tires....wont be long either!

I'm new to XJ's and learning thanks to you all. I'm going to look at a 99 sport that currently has a 3" lift. Seller says it will need new tires. What's your thoughts on tires? Will be DD, a little trail riding primarily to watch and take pictures. What size would work on the XJ with a 3" lift, 31's, 32's?

31's easy with that lift, 32's with trimming, 33's with lots of trimming. I like the Cooper STT and the BFG AT. GL HF and don't forget about the tech sections! There is a plethora of info in there!

Good thread, guys. I have the same question about 33x10.50's and can't decide which way to go.

On a slightly related note, can somebody measure the bottom of the driver's door sill to the ground so I have an idea of how much lift I can expect from a 5.5" LA lift and 33" tires? That should give me an idea of how high my wife will need to step and if it is too high for her as a DD.

Good thread, guys. I have the same question about 33x10.50's and can't decide which way to go.

On a slightly related note, can somebody measure the bottom of the driver's door sill to the ground so I have an idea of how much lift I can expect from a 5.5" LA lift and 33" tires? That should give me an idea of how high my wife will need to step and if it is too high for her as a DD.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912893

And FWIW, stock, trimmed fenders and bumpstopped with 33x10.50's:

Durhamtown1-24-09022.jpg

For a DD the KM2's may be too aggresive. Just a thought.

I ran mud terrains on my jeep as a DD and absolutely loved them.

Bfg's wear friggin awesome, balance well and ride great.
I think you'll love the km2's.

31's are a great size for DD/trail rig. I could go nearly anywhere in oregon on mine

I ran mud terrains on my jeep as a DD and absolutely loved them.

Bfg's wear friggin awesome, balance well and ride great.
I think you'll love the km2's.

31's are a great size for DD/trail rig. I could go nearly anywhere in oregon on mine

x2! If I could afford them I'd run them on the Ghost in the 40" flavor with 17's and no beadlocks! But hey the SS were almost $200 per tire cheaper!

I have been running the General Grabber AT2's in 265/75/16 (approx 32 - 10.50) for 2 years now and still have way more than half of the tread left... They are awesome, great on the road and off the road when aired down... My jeep is my DD, but I do use it camping, trout fishing, and the occasional trail riding... I love them, they are quite a bit cheaper that the BFG's and they have a 60,000 mile tread wear rating, BFG's have no tread wear rating... The only other tread wear rated AT I found were the Pro Comps and they are 50,000 mile... They have a great tread pattern as well...

Back