• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats wheeling in Cali like?

California wheeling?....hmmm....

10671-urban-flexing-flexin_at_starbucks.jpg

Same sort of wheeling here
1C3420AC-268C-407A-8F08-E9D5082DC919-20193-00001111828AFC25.jpg

Poser shot :)
A4A38447-D1AD-432D-B3F9-AF33F2FEE876-4318-00000242BDAC903A.jpg

V- notch last chance canyon
3016E461-2397-4CD3-97BD-EF4616D4E3C8-4318-0000024401A21570.jpg

Later the rock under my passenger side tire punched a big dent in My gas tank skid lol. Oops :)
F5EE6EAA-DCDA-42DF-8C99-23F251E0048B-4318-00000243FBBBF46A.jpg

This is my kind of playground though

where are those trails maxx?

Freeway ridge trail is between Bakersfield and lake Isabella in the canyon. And last chance canyon/nightmare gulch and a few other goodies are in mojave. Last chance entrance is on redrock/ randsburg road and nightmare is on hwy 14.

Both fun trails, not very difficult IMO but i like wheeling there. Calico was also another great place to wheel, not far from Bakersfield. If you ever make the trip to Bakersfield, hit me up and we can go up freeway ridge, takes 3 hours to complete on a good day, add another few hours if you want to do the other trails too

Wow! Tons of input, thanks!

I'm not thrilled about leaving this:

IlDjm.jpg

QUOTE]

Don't fret you'll be coming to this...

763c48c4.jpg

6162d2e9.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

/\ trails above with water to play in like this
IMG_7567.jpg

to snow wheeling like this
MET.jpg

to mountian biking like this
PIC-0393.jpg

to dirt biking over all of these
photo7.jpg

the pic plugs could go on forever really. You'll have no shortage of what your used to.

I know, I know.. there are tons of wheeling resources, I'm down with that. I guess the difference is the pic I posted wasn't wheeling, that was commuting: the shortest way to get to Telluride from Durango. I was at telluride for the Lunar Cup(worth a google), which is a huge rager around 13000 off of Imogene pass, with drunken, clothing optional backcountry shredding the next day. I really dig the mountain life.

I quit my job yesterday.. one step closer.

For vehicle registration: I have a cowl intake, is that alright? Do they check your headlights? Mine are 80/100. I know I need to put a cat on...

please dont call it cali lol. so cal, or no cal (as in not california:roflmao:) or central cal/ central coast you'll get the hang of it. your 12 ga will be fine.
you will find that people up there say "hella" and "wicked" (shudder)

and we in so cal hate no cal :laugh2: waters to cold and to many damn hippys! :greensmok

i was just in santa cruz and it has gone down hill in the past decade imo. i have family up there and they ALLLLLLLLL complain about the traffic in SF.

since you guys are local to the "con" (see, im getting it already!) what are the min rig mods recommended to run it?

IMO just make sure everything is very strong and have spares. The Con is one of those trails that will find a weak point and expose it.

You can run it on 31's but 33's and up with at least one locker is best, but this also has to do with your driving skills as well.

Just expect to break or have someone in your group to.

Josh

IMO just make sure everything is very strong and have spares. The Con is one of those trails that will find a weak point and expose it.

You can run it on 31's but 33's and up with at least one locker is best, but this also has to do with your driving skills as well.

Just expect to break or have someone in your group to.

Josh

I hate that on a trail run " expecting to break or have someone in my group break" I try and wheel as easy and "survive" the trail, if I can't complete an obstacle ill go around it or take a strap/winch myself over, I seldom ever skinny pedal out of a situation, I drive it to the trail so I have to be able to drive it home too. The con is a 300 mile drive for me.

I hate that on a trail run " expecting to break or have someone in my group break" I try and wheel as easy and "survive" the trail, if I can't complete an obstacle ill go around it or take a strap/winch myself over, I seldom ever skinny pedal out of a situation, I drive it to the trail so I have to be able to drive it home too. The con is a 300 mile drive for me.

I also drive my jeep to and from the trail and have in fact never have broken down on the trail, knock on wood. But the fact remains if there is a weak point in a vehicle a trail like the Rubicon will find it.

I would just rather be prepared for the worst. From the sound of it you are exactly the type of person I would like to wheel with, one that stays out of trouble on the trail.

Josh

I also drive my jeep to and from the trail and have in fact never have broken down on the trail, knock on wood. But the fact remains if there is a weak point in a vehicle a trail like the Rubicon will find it.

I would just rather be prepared for the worst. From the sound of it you are exactly the type of person I would like to wheel with, one that stays out of trouble on the trail.

Josh

I won't stay out of trouble but I know my limits :) I don't want to kick myself in the butt for taking the easy route when I could have made it otherwise. Ill take the 10 minute walk to walk it out and see if I think I can make it, usually takes 10 seconds to see what I need to see though lol

the con is a 500 mile drive for me...

I managed to run it, and wheel for 3 days in deer valley with the sierra chapter and make it home with no issues.

the worst thing that happened to me was a flat tire.

I just left California to move to Missouri. I lived in North Monterey County in Prunedale. It is a rural area, with a population of about 10,000. It is a 2 hour commute to sf, or you could drive 45 minutes to an hour to San Jose and take the BART the rest of the way. Rent will range between 800/month to 1600/month depending on what you are wanting. As far as wheeling, it is only 30 minutes from Hollister Hills SVRA and about 3 hours from the sierras.

Back