• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
In the Hell is ChryCo thinking?

I may be a little behind the times here (I really try not to pay attention to advertising,) but the Jeep Compass is very nearly a sin.

"Available" 2.4L I4 engine? "Standard" FWD? There's not even an "optional" big engine for the thing - it's either the 2.0L or 2.4L I4.

Yurf. If you want to make another minivan, go ahead. Just don't stick a damn Jeep nameplate on it - that's sacrilegious!

That is all. I just had to vent. Carry on.

5-90

I read an article in a rag (don't remember which one) about the Compass.
They claimed that Jeep is targeting the young female crowd. That was their reasoning behind the small power plant. I dunno. Just what they said in the rag.

Maybe I can pick one up cheap in 12 years for my daughter.:wierd:

5-90 said:
In the Hell is ChryCo thinking?

I may be a little behind the times here (I really try not to pay attention to advertising,) but the Jeep Compass is very nearly a sin.

"Available" 2.4L I4 engine? "Standard" FWD? There's not even an "optional" big engine for the thing - it's either the 2.0L or 2.4L I4.

Yurf. If you want to make another minivan, go ahead. Just don't stick a damn Jeep nameplate on it - that's sacrilegious!

That is all. I just had to vent. Carry on.

5-90

I think it is a Dodge Caliber rebadged as a Jeep. WTF??? LOL

Granted, I could give a damn about ChryCo, but I have a great deal of personal difficulty with what they're doing to the Jeep marque...

It was bad enough they tried to "round things off" when the ZJ came out - there's a reason that Jeep has a traditionally boxy look, y'know? They're not supposed to "look organic," or "be aerodynamic," or "appeal to a new demographic," even.

I just don't see any reason why they have to take something that should be properly marked as a Chrysler or a Dodge (or, Hell, even a Yugo!) and give it a Jeep tag. Theres' just no reason for it...

5-90

Haleyes said:
I read an article in a rag (don't remember which one) about the Compass.
They claimed that Jeep is targeting the young female crowd. That was their reasoning behind the small power plant. \

I thought that was what the Wrangler was for.

Have you seen the commercial?

And BTW - I don't like Dr. Z. German engineering is not a plus in my book.

They are thinking how much money they are gonna make, and if sticking a Jeep badge on it makes them more, then they will not thnink twice about it.

That is the world folkes, traditional Jeep buyers do not account for a big enough chunk of the pie to have any pull in the market.

Rev

5-90 said:
I just don't see any reason why they have to take something that should be properly marked as a Chrysler or a Dodge (or, Hell, even a Yugo!) and give it a Jeep tag. Theres' just no reason for it...

5-90
They are doing the same thing that Chevy did in the early to mid 90's with thier FWD line and the buick/chevy/poniac and the ton of differnt vairiations of it.

Now Chevy is consolidating and going back to roots and organize.
Dodge is trying it.

does the compass remind any one else of the eagle wagon or sedan?

muduck18 said:
They are doing the same thing that Chevy did in the early to mid 90's with thier FWD line and the buick/chevy/poniac and the ton of differnt vairiations of it.

Now Chevy is consolidating and going back to roots and organize.
Dodge is trying it.

does the compass remind any one else of the eagle wagon or sedan?

It reminds me of a pile of crap I laid in the woods once at boy scout camp.

XJ Dreamin' said:
It reminds me of a pile of crap I laid in the woods once at boy scout camp.

LOL.

I'm not exactly crazy about the Compass/Caliber, but I am looking at the Commander a little. It's not SOOOOOO bad. Just kinda bad.

SCWI'm not exactly crazy about the Compass/Caliber, but I am looking at the Commander a little. It's not SOOOOOO bad. Just kinda bad.

ummmmmmmmm.......................:sure:

the commander would be pretty sweet, once the put a diesel in it, and you do a SAS up front.

SCW said:
LOL.

I'm not exactly crazy about the Compass/Caliber, but I am looking at the Commander a little. It's not SOOOOOO bad. Just kinda bad.
I was in a Dodge/Jeep dealer a few months back, picking up oil filters for my CTD. There was a nice shiny new Commander sitting by the service door.

WTF? 14/17 mpg? Screw that, I'll keep my CTD that gets 20 mpg at 70 mph. Hells bells, I get almost 14 towing 8,000 lbs.

I may not have been into Jeeps as long as some of you, but WTF. I saw the commercial, puked, and then changed the channel after much more vomit. It makes me sick.

I have to ask aren't Jeeps supposed to be able to go on the trails? (and no I do not mean street trails in the downtown of New York).

I think it is bullshit, I can understand new tech and electronics for better emissions and bs like that, but to do what they have done and "fruited" a Jeep up is just wrong.

jeepthing.jpg

The Compass doesn't even have a transfer case, does it? I heard it used some sort of automatic-transmission foolery to get a 'low-range', though I may be mistaken.

And yes, the commercial sucks. Any "Jeep" that's advertised with bobblehead dolls and rap music is not a Jeep.

No low range available on the optional '4 wheel drive'. Hmm.
It weighs only 3-400 lbs less than the XJ and has either a 158hp 2.0 or 172hp 2.4 and apparently gets 23-26mpg in the city. Hmm.
13.5 gallon gas tank. Hmm.
It also has independent suspension at all four corners. Hmm.
1000lb base towing capacity bumps up to 2000lbs with the optional tow package. Hmm.

Looks like a Dodge Caliber to me...

Back