• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Re: What was done to YOUR rig today MECHANICALY????

inspiration pic...

268770_1825899697774_1548720173_31357412_3104855_n.jpg

Installed transfer case skid last night. Drilled crossmemember holes too big (dang-it), found some factory bumper bolts that fit perfectly, (winning) then realized the the tranny lowering kit made the frame too far away (bummer) found a random lowering kit laying around (winning again) turns out the lowering kit is only 3/4 of an an inch; the crossmember kit is a full inch. Screw it, the plate will flex enough to get close to the body. (back to winning) Drilled holes out too big again. Now have to find longer, bigger self tapping bolts....

Installed transfer case skid last night. Drilled crossmemember holes too big (dang-it), found some factory bumper bolts that fit perfectly, (winning) then realized the the tranny lowering kit made the frame too far away (bummer) found a random lowering kit laying around (winning again) turns out the lowering kit is only 3/4 of an an inch; the crossmember kit is a full inch. Screw it, the plate will flex enough to get close to the body. (back to winning) Drilled holes out too big again. Now have to find longer, bigger self tapping bolts....

sounds like you are having a bad day!!

here's a little better one... i got the 14 bolt discs on today so the wheels are actually mounted up on the rear... thats my buddy brandon cutting the whole for the gas tank move... it fit perfect! progress is good

268276_2220642436548_1262298060_2714475_6052953_n.jpg

48b1c7be-17bc-e943.jpg

Finally got my 87 Waggy, AW4 swap completed, and took it on the road yesterday! The Waggy rides again!:cheers:

here's a little better one... i got the 14 bolt discs on today so the wheels are actually mounted up on the rear... thats my buddy brandon cutting the whole for the gas tank move... it fit perfect! progress is good

268276_2220642436548_1262298060_2714475_6052953_n.jpg

48b1c7be-17bc-e943.jpg

Link, stretch, and comp-cut the rear?

I drove my Golf off the road and on some grass. I guess that counts somehow.

sounds like you are having a bad day!!
That was the end of the day. The rest had been ok. Bad day is having a second front axle sold out from under you. Beginning to think I'm going to have to buy Rat's 'Manche just so he can't sell the axle out from under me.:eyes:
:(

and finished cleaning up the 14 bolt... those big ass traction bar mounts came with the axle, figured i may be able to use them if not i'll cut em off
b590d9b4.jpg

started work on my tire carrier... just retrofitting an S10 Blazer carrier... my buddy had a 35 on his, so a 33 should be cake

today I fixed the lug pattern... cut and rewelded the carrier, went from the s10's 5 x 4.75 to the XJ's 5 x 4.5

maybe I will start on the mounts and braces soon

Replaced the battery on my 87 today, only to get out of the jeep and find that the AW4 decided to take a huge leak :eek: and P*ss on what had been a good day, at the end of the day. I had just finished swapping the AW4 out this past weekend.

Art101 --- love the boat sides, the whole think looks killer. Never heard the reversing springs for streatch idea erry cool.

Ecomike --- hopefully it did what mine did. Mine blew out the press in snap fitting. After fighting with 2 new ones i got under there with a flashlight and a dental pick and found and removed the other 1/2 (whole circle cust split like a bagel) of the o ring that was keeping it from seating.

Mounted the 35 12.5 Trxus on stock Wagoneer rims.... they look bigg..gg..er then before :)

Art101 --- love the boat sides, the whole think looks killer. Never heard the reversing springs for streatch idea erry cool.

Ecomike --- hopefully it did what mine did. Mine blew out the press in snap fitting. After fighting with 2 new ones i got under there with a flashlight and a dental pick and found and removed the other 1/2 (whole circle cust split like a bagel) of the o ring that was keeping it from seating.

Mounted the 35 12.5 Trxus on stock Wagoneer rims.... they look bigg..gg..er then before :)

In my case I had pulled the two metal fittings, and cleaned them out, then used brand new plastic fittings, so I think I must not have gotten one of them pressed in all the way. I recall it being tight on one, and acting weird, not a clean snap, and rotatable connection like the other one.

Thinking of changing the oil in mine and maybe track down whats draining my battery so sloowwwllyy tonight.

It's a cool idea but it has its downsides. You've gotta usually raise your gas tank and do either a comp-cut or sever fender cut. But it's also said that it kills the springs really quickly. I've heard that a traction bar can help but won't prevent it from happening.

gas tank is already moved... i'm well aware of the issues, and yes traction bars are going on it... there is a big issue with bushing widths being different, but i have already addressed that shit too...

Spent some time under it, changed front diff fluid,Changed oil. discovered broken ARB actuator tube. Looks like I've got a drivers side leaf going flat, a frame brace weld cracking up front, I can't seal a transmission or t-case for crap as evidenced by the collection of red fluid on them, and my front end still makes a sound like the UCA mount is sliding around when I hit the brakes, but it's not because it's welded on. Discovered winch controller isn't working, I've got a relay that the plastic box broke off of, and my "high speed" fan relay is burnt...again. I really don't see how a damn taurus fan pulls more than 40 amps. OH and my damn banks header is leaking.

Sigh. On the bright side it did just make the 1000 mile trip to houston with no problems (aside from vibrations) though at 75mph and 16mpg. (on 35's and 4.88's)

I did get my hood vents repainted and finally mounted without using blocks of wood.

Back