• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Hoping my new rear bumper gets here this week. Only been 9 weeks since I ordered it.

Bought a cheap roof rack off Amazon that I'm turning into a cargo divider for the back, will mount above the spare tire and give me a flat space for coolers and such. Guess I finally get to play around with the welder I bought.

They must have heard me, it shipped today :D

They must have heard me, it shipped today :D

What bumper you get?

No fender flares yet. And I do believe the noise coming from the engine is the water pump, going to try to confirm it later today. Good thing I'm a pro at water pumps on these 4.0s.

So after changing the motor mounts to Brown Dog ones I changed the oil and discovered a coolant leak from the passenger side of the radiator. Either the head gasket really IS blown, or I'm seeing things, but there was coolant coming out of the front of the oil pan after just changing the oil. I think it's leaking down from the thermostat housing that I've had off TWICE in the last month. I even used a Fel Pro gasket with Permatex Super 300 front and rear.

What bumper you get?

No fender flares yet. And I do believe the noise coming from the engine is the water pump, going to try to confirm it later today. Good thing I'm a pro at water pumps on these 4.0s.

Just the JCR Crusader to replace the Vanguard.

My laziness dictated going with whatever was the least amount of work to swap out; this way I can leave the tie-in brackets and nutserts as is and include the brand new hardware with the Vanguard Tire Carrier.

I even used a Fel Pro gasket with Permatex Super 300 front and rear.

That might your problem.
I did a water pump and new thermostat housing in my '00 XJ.
Instead of using the supplied paper filter that came with the water pump and buying a paper one for the thermostat housing decided to use FelPro gaskets.
Got curious about gunking it up.
So I checked to see what they said about that at the FelPro website.
They are very adamant about not using any.

The groaning noise is confirmed as the water pump. So just ordered a new water pump, thermostat, and gaskets to do water pump replacement #6!

Dropping the jeep off with the shop that did the rear gear and locker install to have them check the rear diff next week.

The groaning noise is confirmed as the water pump. So just ordered a new water pump, thermostat, and gaskets to do water pump replacement #6!

Dropping the jeep off with the shop that did the rear gear and locker install to have them check the rear diff next week.

which shop did the gears?

If you bought the life time warranty water pump then it would be free :paperwork

which shop did the gears?

If you bought the life time warranty water pump then it would be free :paperwork

Smith Offroad in Carrolton. Not far!

Lol I gotta do the labor either way!

Smith Offroad in Carrolton. Not far!

Lol I gotta do the labor either way!

Heard good things about Smith Offroad. never been

I still need to do an SYE...

but for now my TCM is supposed to be here Thursday and hopefully that will fix my CEL that has been on and off for like 6 years lol

I haven't priced a water pump in a long time, are they under $25?

Heard good things about Smith Offroad. never been

I still need to do an SYE...

but for now my TCM is supposed to be here Thursday and hopefully that will fix my CEL that has been on and off for like 6 years lol

I haven't priced a water pump in a long time, are they under $25?

Rock Auto has them from $16 to $50.

New bumper showed up today. Started painting it.

Pulled up JCR's site for instructions and they're not offering the non-carrier rear bumper anymore outside of DIY.

Wonder if that's temporary for the pandemic or if I may have gotten the last one.

Got the new bumper on, drilled out the old tie downs.

Tomorrow I fire up the welder to make a frame for the rack that will sit above the spare

forgot to post, replaced my TCM with another from a parts dismantler. Drove around and noticed the jeep didnt want to shift but would shift if I manually selected the gear. Then I realized I had forgotten to plug in the new TCM. I had bolted it up, just not plugged it in. After plugging it in it seems to be working better. Now to just drive it some and test to see if the CEl comes back on. Need to get it inspected...went out in September...

Finished up the water pump replacement and adjusted the steering box on Monday.

Yesterday I had the idea to swap the driveshafts around to figure out if the rear diff was actually making the noise/vibration I was experiencing. Glad I did because the other driveshaft that I had rebuilt at Drivetrain of Mesquite is the cause. So both of the driveshafts I had them do failed within 2 years. :( Now I get to find another place to rebuild them.

Yesterday I had the idea to swap the driveshafts around to figure out if the rear diff was actually making the noise/vibration I was experiencing. Glad I did because the other driveshaft that I had rebuilt at Drivetrain of Mesquite is the cause. So both of the driveshafts I had them do failed within 2 years. :( Now I get to find another place to rebuild them.
I had a poor experience with them as well. Had to rebalance 2 driveshafts. Both were worse after they "balanced" them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I used the place on 380 between McKinney and Princeton. Something like Collin County drivetrain...or something like that.

He did a good job and the driveshaft has been holding up since then.

I had a poor experience with them as well. Had to rebalance 2 driveshafts. Both were worse after they "balanced" them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thats a shame. I had no issues with them when I originally used them almost 10 years ago.

I used the place on 380 between McKinney and Princeton. Something like Collin County drivetrain...or something like that.

He did a good job and the driveshaft has been holding up since then.

Going to take them to Driveshaft King.

Did you have a spare driveshaft laying around or did you swap front to back or something?

Back