• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to change, what to keep the same?

you know, if we went to $5 tickets and reduced the number of tickets in the tumbler, the tumbler would work better.

you know, if we went to $5 tickets and reduced the number of tickets in the tumbler, the tumbler would work better.

I actually heard a good argument against this for the first time. If there are twenty items would you rather have twenty $1 tickets or four $5 tickets.? You could technically win everything with 20 tickets not with 4......like I said first time I ever heard a good reason to stay w dollar tickets

I spent $60 on raffle tickets and won nothing, but I am not complaining. I am still ahead over the Winterfests I been to in stuff I got to take home. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I like $1 a ticket and buying a lot of tickets. If I win or not, the chapter wins and that is okay with me. When the chapter wins, we all win.

Every year we hear the same complaint. This year we spent nearly $200 on ticket tumblers to mix things up. I personally spent over $200 on raffle tickets and won a t shirt and local food coupons. Of course I want to win big, who doesn't? However my attitude is that I'm supporting the club, win or lose. We cant have the event that we do if we don't have money, the only way we get money is through the raffle, and we do good

I actually won something decent in a raffle for the first time ever...I spent $100 and if I'm back next year it will be more. Raffles are like any form of gambling, some times you win....most of the time you lose. The more money you spend , the more like you are to win but its no guarantee.

The difference is logistics. If you get 60 tickets for your $60 or you get 12 tickets for your $60, the chances to win are the same. Your $60 is still going to the chapter, so it makes no sense that you would want to keep track of 60 tickets when you could keep track of 12.

If everyone is going to spend the kind of money that they do on tickets, just make them more expensive so that you don't have to tear up 5000 tickets and put them in the barrel.

Reward people who spend more money. 1 for 5, 5 for 20, etc.

I actually heard a good argument against this for the first time. If there are twenty items would you rather have twenty $1 tickets or four $5 tickets.? You could technically win everything with 20 tickets not with 4......like I said first time I ever heard a good reason to stay w dollar tickets

The chances with more expensive tickets favor the folks willing to pay for them. That arguement is valid, but so is the one that says if there's 20 items, maybe people would buy more $5 tickets to better their chances.

Nobody is taking home 20 raffle prizes from WF unless they're named Kim, Mac, Pat or Gene anyways.

Isn't the whole point of the raffle to raise money for the club/chapter? Am I wrong to believe that most of the items in the raffle are donated? Idk. I guess I look at the raffle as a way to financially support my chapter above and beyond my yearly dues. Do I like to win the cool stuff? Hell yeah, but I fork over my hard earned cash knowing I may flop, or I could make out! It's not supposed to be about winning. It's supposed to be about supporting your 4x4 clubs kick ass chapter!

Isn't the whole point of the raffle to raise money for the club/chapter? Am I wrong to believe that most of the items in the raffle are donated? Idk. I guess I look at the raffle as a way to financially support my chapter above and beyond my yearly dues. Do I like to win the cool stuff? Hell yeah, but I fork over my hard earned cash knowing I may flop, or I could make out! It's not supposed to be about winning. It's supposed to be about supporting your 4x4 clubs kick ass chapter!

A great point. The raffle does supplement many things that happen at the event. We don't charge enough for dinner (the cost for dinner hasn't gone up in years). The raffle covers that cost. As I posted before, it helps to cover the costs of the cooler giveaway to members (or a winch in the past), free camping, free radios, among other things. It also allows us to make land use donations throughout the year and gives us money in the bank to front money for next year's event if necessary.

I typically put $200 to $250 in the raffle. That wasn't even the most spent on the raffle this year. I did well, but I have had years where I haven't won anything. In fact the total of everything that I won this year didn't total the value of the single big items on the table (bumpers, big ass light bars, $500 gift certs, etc), just a bunch of small stuff.

I was one that was on record in favor of the $5 ticket. However, it's not popular, so like Dan said, we spent $$ to buy a nice big ticket tumbler. It seemed to mix well and I thought the winners were spread out pretty well among the group.

For the record, my wife spent $30 of her own baby sitting money on the raffle, and didn't win anything.

mac 'raffle tickets will go up when $1 dances at the strip club go up :) 'gyvr

I thought the tumbler was nice.

That just blew my mind

i was fine with the $1 tickets...the way i look at it, the guys who are going to spend money are going to buy $100-200 worth whether or not they are $5 or $1. Its the guys who may not spend any money for a $5 ticket, but may say...hell why not and buy 2-3 $1 tickets.

Even if someone can only afford 1 ticket, its still a dollar for the chapter. Not sure that there are a lot of guys like this, but i would bet there are a few.

Brian's statement is tough to argue with though...

I wonder where you heard that? :D

I liked the FRS radios. It's nice to have the mobility.
I think the VFW is a great place for Saturday night dinner. (and cheap beers)
Obstacle course was fun to watch, although the participants should probably be wearing helmets.

^^^Don't forget collin
Every year someone always points out that I win a lot but the 5 relatively small things I win don't add up to 1 big prize that someone else wins, and they don't get called out. The minimum I have ever put into the raffle since '09 has been $100 (it's usually more than that) and people are sour that I get called a lot. If you don't like people getting called repetitively, put more money in to better your chances.

I'm sorry but aren't we all adults here? It's all common sense, the more chances you buy to win things in a raffle the more stuff you can win. We only normally spend about $40-50 on tickets. If we win that's great if not we try again next year. I personally don't care whether tickets cost $1 or $5. I like the way the BOD decided to have everybody tear their own tickets apart.

I think everything went well this year even with all the changes that the badlands thru at us.

Every year someone always points out that I win a lot but the 5 relatively small things I win don't add up to 1 big prize that someone else wins, and they don't get called out. The minimum I have ever put into the raffle since '09 has been $100 (it's usually more than that) and people are sour that I get called a lot. If you don't like people getting called repetitively, put more money in to better your chances.
It doesn't bug me at all he was just mentioning big spenders and forgot You.

Back