• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the story how you got your xj/mj?

I had been out of the Navy for almost a year and I was back down in San Diego with my wife visiting an old friend I was stationed with. We wanted to see him before he left for Iraq working for Blackwater. He had his 1991 2door 4.0L AX15 Jeep just sitting there. Since my Ducati was stuck in Idaho (too much snow and my only mode of transportation) I asked if I could drive it since he had just bought a new Ford F-150. He threw me the keys and the title and said, "keep it". I have 182,000 miles on it now and it looks good a new except for the A#% hole that rear ended me and drove off (anouther story). I'm planning on building a budget stroker then taking on the suspention with the goal of replacing my 30" BFG's with 33's.

I bought my 99 XJ from the investigative reporter for a news channel in Albuquerque, NM in Feb 2003. It only had 25K on it and had been garaged its whole life. Now it has 70K and has been to 3 different countries.

Inherited an 86 MJ with 140K in May 96 and drove the crap out of it until March 02. It now has 270K and sits in my parents’ barn. It still starts with a jump.

My Wife had a 88 XJ 2 dr when we got together....
Then I bought a 96 in Va. when I was working up there Cause I really liked the 88

Then I got a 87 for $300 and it still sits in Ga.

Then I got a 88 LTD for $350 (Fixing it now with a 3 in lift ,Spare gas tank and a Turbo Charger )

then I got a 84 & 85 both ran from a tow company for $400 and one had a $400 brush guard and a ton of other goodies so I had to get them,,,

Then I found a 95 2 dr for $100 and couldnt refuse put $70 into it and been driving it every since even to Ga and back a couple times

Still have them all arround the House here the 85 will be making its way to the bone yard soon as it almost has no parts left on itthe 84 is a yard truck with a welding maching and compressor mounted on it and the top cut off
all of them run but 2

Had a 02 ranger p/u 2wd when i moved to co after 1 winter bought my neighbors daughter 2000 1 owner cherokee freedom paid to much but it was worth it 60 k every thing worked is still like new,and love it

I had an 05 GLI and I wanted a beater (funny.. i had a VW and needed a beater :D) so i picked up an XJ. A 97 with 150k. I got tired of the VW a few months ago so i got rid of it...i now DD the 157k mile vehicle i purchased to be a beater (it looks the beater part). It's been pretty good to me as far as reliability goes. I don't miss the car or the payment. I kinda wish i'd gotten an older XJ in a bit better shape though...oh well.

Mine was setting in the father-in-laws yard, not running for 8 or so months. He wasnt making progress on making it run so I offered him $500 for it and he said come get it. I got it home and found out all that was keeping it from running was the lead wire going to the fuel pump was corroded in half. Now Im in the process of building it for a playtoy.

i had a 95 explorer i lifed and put 33's on
my little bro wanted to drive on the trails we were in a "pond" and the front end droped down a bit he freaked and flored it we bobbed twice and sank locked the motor
i got it running on the trail but everything i electronic on those things had problem w/ the 4wd,pushbutton,and the power windows so i figured i could get a jeep and lift it cheaper picked mine up for 600.00 got out from under the exploder and used the money to lift the xj
I'm very pleased

ebay

I had an old cj back in highschool sold in for school. Then finished school and got a good job. Had to drive so I bought a XJ last 2001 year they made them for a DD. The plan was to get an old cj7 or 8 and build that up to play with. Well then I bought a house and well with that comes $$$ for a yard and fence and upgrades and this and that. DAMB the honey do list. SO then I just lifted the XJ. Happy ever sence.

I have 2 that I have paid nothing for and from the same person my son in law. The first was a 84 pioneer with that V6 it died after a year kept for parts. The 2nd is my daily driver a 87 chief with the 4.0L I6 Iam restoring it put 1300 into it so far and worth every penny what a tough little truck.:thumbup:

I was always into sports cars till I was driving home from work one day and a moron in a full size pickup failed to stop at a red light. I hit him at about 55mph. My car was totaled, his truch had a scratch. I wanted something that would leave more of a mark if it happened to me again. My parents had a 1995 XJ, with more than 200k miles on it so when I saw my 98 sitting in a dealer lot, I decided to go for it.

My poor Alfa:

710666_7_full.jpg

I've worked in parks and natural resources agencies for about 30 years. Bought a new 1989 4 door 4x4 for work and drove it until I left for a new job in 96. Bought a new 97 there and drove it until 2003 and was pushed into a 2002 Explorer. Left there in December 2005 and bought my 2001 XJ with 46,000 on it.
Couldn't be happier.

Ive got 4 XJ's, Three of which were just purchased like any other car. But there is one that is very special to me. Here is the story;

My Dad was a Jeep man. But being a school teacher and high school football coach didn't allow him to afford many new vehicles. When he decided to retire from coaching he bought a new XJ, it was a 90'. He loved that thing. He drove it untill a month before he died.
He died in 2003 waiting on a liver transplant. He had a rare liver disease called PSC, its the same disease that killed the great Bears running back Walter Payton. My stepmother sold the Jeep before I had a chance to inquire about buying it from her(she had a lot of medical bills to pay).
So I looked for the Jeep off and on, doing CarFax reports on it to see where it was, but was unable to find a phone number to call about it. So last April while driving down the local used carlot road that most towns seem to have, I saw a black XJ in the back of one of the lots and stopped just to look at it. From ten feet away I knew it was my Dads old Jeep. It had tags on it but they were out of date by a year. I asked the lot owner about it and he told me the story of the Jeep.
He bought the Jeep from my step mom. He then sold the Jeep to a friend. That friend sold the jeep to another friend. That friend blew the motor up(he got it to hot and warped the head). He was borrowing the carlots garage on the weekends to work on it, but hadn't touched it in about a year. I got some numbers, made some calls. Thanks to a guy named Frank Haley who didn't want to sellit but because it was my Dads he did, the old XJ that belonged to my Dad is in my driveway and is being restored! I've rebuilt the engine, we are working on the interior now, and it will soon go to the paint shop. My wife will use it as her winter transportation and I will probably leave it to a grand kid if I have any. Here are some pics of the "Charlies Cherokee" project. Or as my kids call it "Granddads Jeep"

dadsjeep21ob.jpg

engine2wb9.jpg

engine1bt9.jpg

dadsjeep6su.jpg

To revive an old thread.....

I sold an old car to my brother....deal was, $100 down, $100/mo until $1500 changed hands. Well, I got $100 out of him. That was about 3 years ago. lol

My aunt had a '94 2-dr XJ sport that she wanted to get rid of at the same time my mom bought a new car for herself. My mom traded her old car for my aunt's jeep, and then my mom gave me the XJ to pay off the debt my brother owed me.

I've had it about a year, and it's still bone-stock, but I've got it running right now: new radiator, tires, shocks, starter, crank sensor, dist/plugs/wires, and tranny/diff serviced in the last year. Had 153,000 on it when I got it, now has 170,500 on it, and runs great. I'm looking at doing a BB and a few other upgrades soon.

Been lurking here for quite a while, gaining familiarity and knowledge while avoiding the noob-like mistakes and questions. :)

Couple pics:

JeepLF.jpg

JeepRF.jpg

5/11: bought a 95 from a guy I worked with. He said the throttle was sticking and couldn't fix it. Paid 500 for it, had 170,000+/- miles. Turned out the intake needed tightened. When I told him he was in disbelief and I could tell he was kicking himself. hehehehe
8/11: A lot was going on with the Jeep. The interior was out and roofing tar sat where the carpet once did (dads idea, I knew I should've bedlinered her.) It was a total mess. Just out for a cruise, needed a break from fixing the tar situation. A ricer honda pulled out in front of me, totalled both. Three months to the day of purchase and shes gone.
8/22: Got a 97, pretty sweet. Asking 2750. The interior was nasty but it was only one owner and the last folks kept up with the mechanical side of it. Sacked it for 2300.
A week ago: Saw a jeep at a carlot up the street from me that I went to see when I was searching for a replacement (pre 8/22). Its a 90 wagoneer. Super clean, 98,000 miles, okay running, massive brake fluid leak, other minor things like tires needed too. Back then, the guy wanted 2500. He lived an hour and a half away and I just so happened to see it traded in at the lot up the street. 1295 on the winshield. Drove it, liked it, asked 700, they said okay, so, I'm sitting here wondering if I should sack it, too. What would you do?

Back in August, I was looking for a cheap DD that I could comute the 2.5miles to work everyday but I could take fishing on the weekends. Checked our forsale board here on base daily until I saw a 1990 Jeep Cherokee for sale for $1250. Sounded perfect went out and looked at it offered $700 they said $800. We settled at $750 for a 1990 4dr 4x4 4.0L with 136,000. The first day I got it I sanded down the clearcoat because it was flaking and painted it flatblack with a rattle can. I now have it on 31's with a 1.75" RE BB with trimmed fenders, no carpent, and a custom bumper being built right now. You bastards got me hooked now my cheap DD has already cost me another grand.

Tyler

sandman said:
I'm sitting here wondering if I should sack it, too. What would you do?

Heck yeah man, I want another one too. Now the wife loves it so I have to buy her one, she is probably getting a newer one with A/C though.

Back