• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the story how you got your xj/mj?

My Dad bought a 1990 XJ used, drove it for about 5 years, about 2 miles/day.
When he bought a 1995 Grand Chero he gave the 1990 to my GF/Fiance of 14 years, she drove it for 5 years, about 1 mile/day.

I always liked it, so I went out about a year ago and bought a 1998 XJ for a DD, started setting it up for wheeling (RE3.5 and 31's) when Dad decided he needed a 2dr vehicle as it would be easier to get in and out of due to the fluid retention from his heart meds.

He buys a 1998XJ 2dr, gives me the 1995 ZJ which I then trade to Christine for the 1990 to buildup as a trail rig and revert the '98 4dr to a DD again

Naturally by the time I got the '90 she had heated it up to point of seize twice due to a clogged radiator, it had enough heating probs that I bypassed the electric fan and dropped a 150* 'stat in it, mileage went to about 90/tank LOL. Got it, dropped in a new radiator, and a 195 t-stat and back to 275/tank we go.

Gotta love that 4.0, seized up twice, cooled off, starts and runs with ZERO smoke and only lost about 15-20% power at 170K

For the record, this girl managed to kill her 3 previous vehicles in under a year.

started out with a 73 scout II, poured everything i had into it for 6 years. got towed home 1 to many times and the ex said enough, she was to scared. so i sold it on ebay. 1 year later bought my first XJ 88'. poured 3 grand into lift and tires and only got to wheel it once when it snowed. WOW! i was hooked on the XJ though. ended up getting divorced and sold it for $800.00. OUCH! back on my feet now and just bought a new 90'XJ for $800.00 and here i go again....if it itches....scratch it....right?
12-05'%20028.jpg
100_0988.JPG
000_0134.JPG

A buddy of mine and I responded to a vehicle fire here in town on a 89 Wrangler. The owner swore it was too much for him to repair the fire damage, so my buddy traded him a Susuki Samarai on the spot. We took his new Wrangler to the house, got to lookin and the fire was oil and grease on the wiring harness. We got there pretty quick when the call came out, so that was about as far as the damage went. I offered to help him do a complete rewire, bypassing the computer. It took some doin, but we got it running good. While at his house, I got to looking at an 90 4-dr 4x4 XJ parked behind the house his wife used to drive. It had alot of little problems. He said $500 and its yours. A day or two later, I brought the money to him and he said, look you have helped me with the wrangler so much, just take it. A couple of cans of injector cleaner and a tune up, and runs like a top.

A guy my wife works with was moving out of town, he had a 93 sport with a blown motor, didnt want to take it with him,, body was in great shape, interior as well, only problem was a hole in the side of the motor, so I bought him breakfast, and he signed over the title. put a new engine in it, runs great. For my first Jeep, I like it, think I 'll keep it around a while.

I worked at crappy job at Mcdonalds to earn the money for my jeep. The day i turned 16 , i went down and got a job there. As soon as i had some money saved up , I quit. I found a 93 XJ Sport with 240 k miles and I bought it, did some minor work to it, and now am in the process of building it up.

I hated the job at mcdonalds but it was worth it so i could have a jeep

Last year at this time, I only had my '66 Mustang. Mustangs don't do too well in the snow. So I was looking around for a 4x4 SUV (or Jeep). My cousin's father-in-law used to own a carlot about an hour from where I live. I told him what I was looking for. He drove the '98 XJ down one day and asked if this was ok. He'd sell it to me for $4500. Deal.

well my first car was a nissan 240sx, i was 16 and into the import scene, i lived in ohio and its what helped get all the highschool hotties up there. i blew the motor and sold it. at that time i was living here in TN and i bought a s-10 to make into a low rider, thats what my dad is into, got tired of that and wanted to build some credit so i tried to get a 98 ZJ limited but i couldnt get a co-signer. the dealer took me to the back of the lot and there she was, my 95 xj! i was sold! i have chris (allthingsoffroad) to thank mainly! he showed me the light lol.... i put a BB on it and a roof rack and about a year later took it all off and sold the stuff. now i decided to keep my xj and have since put a BB, 31 BFG M/Ts, and a roof rack back on! i love it!

Well, I bought (traded) my MJ about a week and a half ago. I had a '93 Daytona that had blown a head gasket last summer, and the wife and I had gotten sick of seeing it sit in our driveway. I put an ad up looking to sell it or trade it for an XJ or something similar (We had really started missing the old Trooper II and wanted a 4 wheeler), and I got a response for an '87 MJ. Ofcourse I jumped on it, since it was basically an XJ with a bed. The truck looked like crap but it's been pretty reliable so far, and I've always heard that these rigs are pretty capable out of the box.

The biggest plus was that the truck had some aftermarket stuff that's worth more than I paid for the daytona (30x8.5 on '04 wrangler rims, and a pretty high end stereo and amp). Now I just want to find some trails around here and finally get it dirty!

Pat

I found my XJ on craiglist, and it was listed for $750. I drove out as quickly as possible, and offered this rich guy $500 for it. The rest is History! Only thing wrong with it so far is the steering, and some small electrical problems like the blinkers. But for $500, I have a vehicle that I drove home under it's own power with 168K on it. Body is dinged a little, but I believe I found a diamond in the Rough. :)

It's an 89' XJ Laredo, No lift, Stock everything.

I collect lots and lots of nice cars I love to get them for a good deal in great shape, they do not generally last long, I sell them or get offered too much to refuse....

The only vehicles which have been hung on to ar Mopars and Jeeps

I had a 1996 ZJ 5.2l I had it lifted with a homebrew old man emu lift it was a ramp queen 1000 RTI. I would take her to grand slam every year amongst other events........ Lots of armor and a great off road cruiser fast and smooth riding. I loved it. But eventually she went away divorce and other things.......

Just bought a 1994 XJ sport 2 door ax15....... Funny thing i was looking for a xj when I bought the ZJ so I guess I finally found home !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

car list

1969 Ford F100 got it free so what the crap still have

1977 Ford LTD II 400 cu inch highly modified motor yeah it was a boat and fast as well

1984 Lincoln Continental 302 AOD 56,000 original mile mint car (FOR SALE CURRENTLY $ 4200.00)

1990 Ford Tempo beater mileage sucked so it went bye bye

1999 Ford Superduty 5.4l manual (wifes toy)-Still Have

1962 Chrysler Newport 361 cu in Big block push button auto 65,000 original miles sold

1972 Chrysler newport 400 cu in big block fastest car yet recieved offer I could not refuse PUNK:exclamati

1973 Dodge W-200 360 v-8 manual nice truck 173,000 no rebuild traded in on ZJ Should have kept, it ran like new

1974 Dodge Dart Swinger slant six a/c sweet ride air bags flame throwers still have and will forever

1990 Chrysler new yorker bought cheap to resale put 50 into it and sold it for 1300 profit 3 weeks later

1990 Dodge W-150 had forever evry mod possible 360 v-8 a-518 head work and much much more tow ring dynoed at 400 HP but sold for the XJ :loveu:

1992 Chrysler New yorker fifth avenue..... 3.8l v-6 a604 sweet car tranny sucks, fixed and sold

1996 chrysler cirrus 2.5l v-6 same sucky a604 nice car divorce said bye bye

1994 Jeep XJ

1996 Jeep ZJ

My Wife ran her Grand Am out of oil... we needed to replace it, found the XJ across town and bought it for her... but she now drives the s10 and i drive the xj

Found my 96 country on e-bay. The guy listed it starting bid $500 no reserve. The tranny was suppose to be bad. I called him and asked what it was doing to make him think it was bad and i knew right away that it was something other than a bad tranny. So i offered him a $1000 for it. He told me someone offered him closed to that so he was just gonna wait and see how much it brought through the auction. So i told him $1200 and i would pick it up the next day. He said that would work. Headed out that morning to st louis to get it (5 hour drive) and once i got there he was pissed because there was another guy wanting to give him $1500 to buy it out from underneath me. I was pissed and i let him know that too on account i pulled my trailer that far to get it. He ended up selling it to me for the price we agreed on. I think he sold it to me mostly because I already had his address and he didnt want a knuckle sandwich LOL. Got it back home and with the help from alot of guys on here fixed the tranny for $25 bucks (bad shift solenoids) got those on ebay too. Got my RE 5.5" lift on, still have many other things to get done before i drive it. Mainly trying to find a set of tires i want. Im torn between several right now. As soon as i get my tires i will post some pics. The pics i have now are goofy as hell with a total of 6.5" lift with stock 235's.

growin up my neighbour had a 2 door diesel that he drove everywhere. he'd head into the fields, paths to the back 40, old trails that the brush had grown over... everywhere, than he'd wash it up and take the old lady out for dinner... after getting back from first tour overseas (2004)I had to have one after all those years of wanting. the better half said if I still have it in 5 years she'd make it dissapear, I told her she better do the same... she's coming around tho after a few trail rides.
97 Sport, the rest will be history.

Got my 1st one (Chugly), '89 limited, for $300 when my exploder spit up the trans. Drove it while I fixed the X. When I bought it I promised it to my brother for what it cost me to fix it up. Fixed some rust in the floor and added 4" lift, new wheels and MTR's. When the explorer was fixed I traded it on my second XJ a '01 60th ann. edition. Now I am building that up slowly (only had it a month so far). For my 3rd...when the wife's car gives up its ghost.

Saw a 88'MJ For sale on JU.....So I bought it$1700
Saw a 89XJ in someone's yard...So I bought it$150
Saw a 04' Rubicon on the auction..So I bought it$11000
Customers 98' Limited Grand totaled last friday...So I bought it too!$1200

Now Im gonna throw Up

I got my first one from my mom as a thank you for taking care of her after an operation

She got a 1987 XJ 4.0 for $500 not running I put a new CPS in and drove it for 2 months
Gave it to my brother in law because he needed a work truck and I bought a 1990 XJ 4.0 for $2000 with a newly rebuilt engine
and been working on mods for it since

Back