• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the heck is this sound??

the phone is by the front of the motor while its running. towards the middle and the driver side. sometimes it goes away too. but then comes back.

Loosen your belt and check for play in all pulleys. Spin them by hand (with the exception of the big round one.) See how they feel. Loosening your belt may not be enough. Might have to remove it all together... and forget about playing with the big one. It will laugh at your bare hands... and make sure the engine is off.

Three foot long piece of vinyl tubing, about 1/2" I.D. or less. Stick one end in your ear, move the other end around the engine--WARNING: clothing and flesh make a poor combination with moving engine parts--it will lead you to the source of the sound.

Trust me, I'm with the High Command! (Silent Running, Mike and the Mechanics).

joe, you think the intake can cause that? i was tightneing the bolts i can reach from the top before it happened. and its much louder than before

Loosen your belt and check for play in all pulleys. Spin them by hand (with the exception of the big round one.) See how they feel. Loosening your belt may not be enough. Might have to remove it all together... and forget about playing with the big one. It will laugh at your bare hands... and make sure the engine is off.

I am thinking along the same lines. Sounds like a bearing going out in one of the pulleys or the belt is too tight.

Did you knock a vacuum line loose--they can squeal pretty good.

Check the fit where the vacuum line runs from the MAP sensor on the firewall down to the throttle body--that little two-plug end into the throttle body likes to pop out.

i dunno if i knocked something loose or not. i think ill check tomorrow. or wait till i tighten everything down. ill reply more when i do more toubleshootin

I'm pretty sure I've heard that someplace else. Try this. http://www.members.tripod.com/SoundBytes1/dd/dd_annoy.wav to see if it is close to the sound you are getting.

Otherwise, I'd suggest checking all vacuum lines on the intake manifold. Did you try loosening the manifold bolts you tightened before this happened? Maybe you are getting a sucking sound from under the intake at the lower bolts. I know the torque sequence should be followed for the manifold bolts and perhaps you are sucking wind from the underside.

Last edited:
Didn't say you were messing with the intake and god knows what else. My vote now lies on a vac leak as well. They can sound like all three of my kids in one room at once.

I had a cracked exhaust. When I replaced it, the new manifold wasn't a good fit or the gasket, bottom line it made some real loud noises and ran bad.
I didn't have time to play with it so after trying to make it seal I put the original parts back on and everything was normal again.
I ended up getting the old manifold welded later on.

Back