• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the h*** happened to OSU?

BillR said:
I don't need to rationalize anything. USC IS the #1 team in the country according to BOTH polls. Michigan is the only one with a chance to take that away. Like I said, it just a sham that both LSU and USC don't get to find out who's REALLY the best.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (breath)ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha(breath) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h(breath)a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha(breath) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (breath)ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha This thread is a sham.

rockcrawlinxj said:
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (breath)ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha(breath) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h(breath)a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha(breath) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (breath)ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha This thread is a sham.
Wow, what a thoughtful reply... :laugh3:
Here an excerpt from an actual AP voter. It really puts it in perspective:

"I wrestled awhile with my AP ballot after Saturday's games. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. I sat there after midnight, ranked teams four through 25 and left the top three slots blank. Finally, I slid Oklahoma in third. As great as they'd been for 12 games, it just felt wrong to rank the Sooners ahead of LSU or USC, off their respective performances Saturday. I wrestled a bit longer before ranking USC first, LSU second. Separating these two is very tough. My reasoning was that USC was "closer" to being perfect, having lost at Cal in triple overtime, with a missed chip-shot field goal figuring prominently. Had they escaped the OT, no one would have had an issue. LSU lost to Florida (which is better than Cal), but it was at home, by a dozen points.

I had no idea if other pollsters would see it that way. It turns out most did, the 1-2-3 margins being pretty decisive.

Which two of these three deserving teams play in New Orleans is not my biggest concern. Hey, in a three-way struggle between three once-beaten teams, somebody is gonna get screwed.

What bothers me is HOW the BCS formula came it to its verdict. The strength of schedule component in effect broke the deadlock between humans and computers. That's weak."

BillR said:
Wow, what a thoughtful reply... :laugh3:
Here an excerpt from an actual AP voter. It really puts it in perspective:

"I wrestled awhile with my AP ballot after Saturday's games. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. I sat there after midnight, ranked teams four through 25 and left the top three slots blank. Finally, I slid Oklahoma in third. As great as they'd been for 12 games, it just felt wrong to rank the Sooners ahead of LSU or USC, off their respective performances Saturday. I wrestled a bit longer before ranking USC first, LSU second. Separating these two is very tough. My reasoning was that USC was "closer" to being perfect, having lost at Cal in triple overtime, with a missed chip-shot field goal figuring prominently. Had they escaped the OT, no one would have had an issue. LSU lost to Florida (which is better than Cal), but it was at home, by a dozen points.

I had no idea if other pollsters would see it that way. It turns out most did, the 1-2-3 margins being pretty decisive.

Which two of these three deserving teams play in New Orleans is not my biggest concern. Hey, in a three-way struggle between three once-beaten teams, somebody is gonna get screwed.

What bothers me is HOW the BCS formula came it to its verdict. The strength of schedule component in effect broke the deadlock between humans and computers. That's weak."
Whew, that's a relief. And here this whole time I was beginning to think sports writers weren't always right. Now I know I CAN believe everything I read in the newspaper. Look, I don't blame most voters for voting the way they do, but if you stuck 'em all in a room for the season and gave them the final results for the year, They would look at it and say " Hmmm, 3 teams, 1 loss , who was it to." The vote would be different. Now stick the BCS computer (what the ACTUAL NCAA Div.1 rankings are)in a room and do the same. Same result. Difference is objectionalism.

rockcrawlinxj said:
Whew, that's a relief. And here this whole time I was beginning to think sports writers weren't always right. Now I know I CAN believe everything I read in the newspaper. Look, I don't blame most voters for voting the way they do, but if you stuck 'em all in a room for the season and gave them the final results for the year, They would look at it and say " Hmmm, 3 teams, 1 loss , who was it to." The vote would be different. Now stick the BCS computer (what the ACTUAL NCAA Div.1 rankings are)in a room and do the same. Same result. Difference is objectionalism.

More of the same:
"The BCS is what it is: a system created to inject more fairness in to the bowl system than existed before and select two teams to play in a "Championship Game," while keeping the forces pushing for a playoff at bay.

It failed this season. More importantly, it failed for the third time in the last four seasons. This time, though, with an important twist: the controversy is NOT which contender is most worthy to face the clear No. 1 ranked team. The No. 1 ranked team is nowhere to be found in the BCS game. And it's a much bigger BCS headache, because half the national title could be decided three days before the Nokia Sugar Bowl is even played.

Resident BCS guru Brad Edwards tells us that the final BCS verdict came down to two otherwise meaningless games. If either Notre Dame had beaten Syracuse OR Hawaii upset Boise State, LSU would have been left out.

Am I missing something? Did the inspired Orangemen effort (it's about time, by the way), and Boise State's win make LSU a superior team and more worthy BCS participant than it already was? Do those two final scores mean that USC isn't deserving after all? Humans know the answer: games like these are irrelevant. Computers don't know better. They never will."

BillR said:
The first part WILL happen, mark my words.
LSU will get only half a title though, if USC wins. Two champs mean NO real one, little crystal football be damned. :laugh3:
In your mind... in your mind. Whatever makes the pill easier to swallow. It's like the guy in Office Space that was fired and no one told him so he just kept coming to work. Your cube is now banned to the number 2 room! Good luck!

Markm80521 said:
In your mind... in your mind. Whatever makes the pill easier to swallow. It's like the guy in Office Space that was fired and no one told him so he just kept coming to work. Your cube is now banned to the number 2 room! Good luck!
Not my mind. Take a quick look at the polls... :laugh3:
There seems to be SOME agreement that USC is#1. :wave:
Have fun playing for second! (oh yeah, and the little crystal football) :rolleyes:

BillR said:
Not my mind. Take a quick look at the polls... :laugh3:
There seems to be SOME agreement that USC is#1. :wave:
Have fun playing for second! (oh yeah, and the little crystal football) :rolleyes:

AND when USC loses to MI I'll be gearing up for the #1 title match with a smile on my face picturing you and the rest of the USC fans balling "BUT we shoulf be playing the OTHER team!!!! :bawl: WE are number 1, we are!!!! Our Daddy told us we were!!!!"

Obvious question from MI to USC - " Who's yo daddy!"

----Okay, seriously I am going to have to bow out of this thread. Really good discusion on BCS, who's number 1, etc. We'll just have to wait and see. Been fun, I'm sure we'll be back in a couple of weeks and one of us (probably me- always is me) will officially remove the "foot from mouth."

Have a great holiday!

Look Bill, you seem to keep blocking out the fact that there are other polls than the ones you keep mentioning. Any team could be ranked on any one of the other 8 polls in the BCS and fans of that team could say "were # one". Niether Mark nor I are saying who's #1, even though if we used your understanding of the big picture we can all say our teams are #1 in some way. We and most of the nation are saying the 2 best teams in the nation, according to the ACCEPTED METHOD, are playing in the National Championship Sugar Bowl. All others are just playing, regardless of their ranking in a couple polls.

Markm80521 said:
AND when USC loses to MI I'll be gearing up for the #1 title match with a smile on my face picturing you and the rest of the USC fans balling "BUT we shoulf be playing the OTHER team!!!! :bawl: WE are number 1, we are!!!! Our Daddy told us we were!!!!"

Obvious question from MI to USC - " Who's yo daddy!"

----Okay, seriously I am going to have to bow out of this thread. Really good discusion on BCS, who's number 1, etc. We'll just have to wait and see. Been fun, I'm sure we'll be back in a couple of weeks and one of us (probably me- always is me) will officially remove the "foot from mouth."

Have a great holiday!
You too, Mark. Happy Holidays.
If Michigan wins, the Sugar WILL be for the undisputed title. Michigan COULD get some votes, but it won't be enough to catch LSU.
I guess we'll see... :wave:

Me too. Been fun but were getting no where, Bill's just gonna keep using his ONLY argument. See y'all on another thread.

No hard feelings however it squirms out. :kissyou:

BOOMER SOONER

rockcrawlinxj said:
Look Bill, you seem to keep blocking out the fact that there are other polls than the ones you keep mentioning. Any team could be ranked on any one of the other 8 polls in the BCS and fans of that team could say "were # one". Niether Mark nor I are saying who's #1, even though if we used your understanding of the big picture we can all say our teams are #1 in some way. We and most of the nation are saying the 2 best teams in the nation, according to the ACCEPTED METHOD, are playing in the National Championship Sugar Bowl. All others are just playing, regardless of their ranking in a couple polls.
Terry-
I think you know that the two WIDELY ACCEPTED polls are the ESPN/coaches poll, and the AP poll. BOTH of these have USC in front by a WIDE magin in terms of 1st place votes.
The coaches have already voted as to who they feel is the top team, but they're REQUIRED by the BCS agreement to vote the winner of the bcs game as the final #1. The AP has no such of a sham agreement, and will likely keep USC at the top if they win in Pasedena. Would you want votes from someone who's FORCED to vote for you? OU will take it, huh?? :laugh3:

Back