• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What now?

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
When I had driveshaft out yesterday, there WAS a little noise when I turned the rear pinion yoke. I was told this was the trackloc making the noise, and the mechanic in fact replaced all of the seals and bearings in the rear axle.
Is there any noise inherant with either a Trackloc or a Gleason-Torsen. The noise is not really obnoxious, it's just driving me nuts not KNOWING where it's coming from.

Just a shot in the dark,but does the noise go away when you touch the brake pedal slightly (just enough to engage the pads onto the rotors)? My FSJ has a clicking noise when I'm driving. I can't really hear it unless I'm driving next to something that will reflect the sound back at me. I figured out that if I barely pressed the brake pedal it would go away. I guess the anti-rattle clips must be missing. :dunno:

Im the same way about noises!Want it to be "Purrrfect".Traclok's or any part of the rear gears shouldnt make any noise while rotating by hand.Might be worth a look under the cover,do you have access to a dial indicator and some marking compound?

Georgia Mike said:
Just a shot in the dark,but does the noise go away when you touch the brake pedal slightly (just enough to engage the pads onto the rotors)? My FSJ has a clicking noise when I'm driving. I can't really hear it unless I'm driving next to something that will reflect the sound back at me. I figured out that if I barely pressed the brake pedal it would go away. I guess the anti-rattle clips must be missing. :dunno:
No change when pressing the brake at all. The noise is speed-related, and stops when I do.:confused:

RCP Phx said:
Im the same way about noises!Want it to be "Purrrfect".Traclok's or any part of the rear gears shouldnt make any noise while rotating by hand.Might be worth a look under the cover,do you have access to a dial indicator and some marking compound?
The mechanic that did my gears thought of that. He's as baffled as I am, and has given me LOTS of free work just to try and find out where this is coming from. Like I said, he just replaced all of the seals and bearings in the rear end. He had to re-set the gears at that point, right.
In all honesty, I really wouldn't know what to look for once I got the cover off. I got the rear end from a "recycler" because it had the gears I wanted. The Trackloc was a bonus. The noise was there with the original gear set-up, and didn't change when he replaced all the bearings. :confused:

Georgia Mike said:
What kind of wheels do you have? Have you tried removing the center caps from them and see what the results were?
The wheels are Tech1 rockcrawlers. I do have caps, but they're all tight.

I might have found something...
I put the rear end on jackstands and ran it up to speed. There is definately a rumble in the rear end. I can feel a low pitched vibration on the cover and the diff itself. Also, there seems to be some runout or wobble in the axle flanges at speed. I thought I had a bent wheel, but I can see it a little with the wheels and drums off.:( :confused:

Back